Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad news about NG17

Forum User Feedback Score 0 94VR4NCVA's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've never been and have always wanted to join in on the fun. For me its date & location. Has a different location ever been brought up or discussed? Would a different location be better or not be as popular?

Some of the other 3S gatherings further south still have a good attendance record

Forum User Feedback Score 0 TBoxdorfer's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Numerous reasons for me...
    Already have a vacation planned this year, but that's never stopped me before. This year however I have a baby on the way so it makes things difficult financially. Also the time in which it is going to be held is a bit tough for me to make.
    I have unfortunately drifted away from my car and neglected it. It seems time is extremely precious and hard to come by. Not only to do what I want to do to it, but also get it ready for any race event.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan92RTTT View Post
    As many of you know, NG17 is scheduled for August of this year. Registrations this year are the lowest they have ever been. Of course we'll never know all the reasons why so many haven't signed up - whether it's the date, the time of year, or they have other commitments... But the fact is, they haven't. For that reason, and none other, it's with a very heavy heart that we're canceling this year's NG.

For those who had signed up, your refund has been processed. If the funds have not been returned paypal says you should have them in 3 to 5 days. should have received your refund.

Once again, we're very sorry to deliver this news. It truly saddens us.

We invite you to join in a discussion to let us know why you weren't planning to attend or why you just hadn't signed up yet.

Lori & Alan
    Time. For me it's always time. I love road course. It's the reason I go besides the group setting. Car shows I have here and don't go to them. Drag racing has never been my thing and autocross is hit or miss. The road course is always mid week which means I have to punch out a week of vacation to do it.

This vote should count as two as my Mother (also an owner/attendee) feels the same way.

I would pay more for autocross on or close to a weekend. A Friday through Monday (or SSMT, TFSS etc) event would draw more folks I think. It would cost more, but we are stuck with the conundrum of the folks with the jobs that can afford the money cannot afford the time, and folks that have the time cannot afford the cost.

Just my $.02

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

At least my jackstands are reliable Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Uniuno's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It was timing for me this year. I'll be prepping the car for the shoot-out and don't want to risk breaking it without time to fix it before the shoot-out.

I really don't think location is as big of a deal as everyone makes it seem, certainly can understand Tom's dilemma though. The UMG was held in the same region of the country and had a bigger turn out than the last two years at NG.

I think the difference there is they don't charge to attend or for the car show (Still had nice trophies, too!). Just show up and have fun, buy a shirt if you want. Maybe the NG would bring more people if they didn't have to pay just to go. Still have to pay for AutoX, Road course, and go-carts, but not just to be there.

Hopefully the NG can make a comeback next year.

95 Base 3k: 6G74/TT/AWD conversion

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Uniuno For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    I've always wanted to attend but I am very limited on PTO due to yearly trips to Taiwan for my wife's family. I end up doing BRG instead because it's a 3.5 hour drive vs 8+ hours to NG. Also, we have had my father in law from May-July and I have exhausted pretty much all money for fun stuff.
    Last edited by VR-4 0wnz j00; 06-27-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    1995 3000GT VR-4 Black
    K&N Air Filter / Topline Engineering Ground Kit / Precat Eliminators / Walbro 255 / DNP Downpipe / 3SX Fuel loop / JDM EVO MR BOV / Hallman Pro RX / 3SX Single Pass Radiator / Tein S-techs / 3SX Rear Control Arms / 3SX Custom Poly Motor Mounts /

306.5hpawhp 320.5awtq @14psi

Sold - 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT Pearl White Base

Forum User Feedback Score 0 curt_gendron's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniuno View Post
    It was timing for me this year. I'll be prepping the car for the shoot-out and don't want to risk breaking it without time to fix it before the shoot-out.

I really don't think location is as big of a deal as everyone makes it seem, certainly can understand Tom's dilemma though. The UMG was held in the same region of the country and had a bigger turn out than the last two years at NG.

I think the difference there is they don't charge to attend or for the car show (Still had nice trophies, too!). Just show up and have fun, buy a shirt if you want. Maybe the NG would bring more people if they didn't have to pay just to go. Still have to pay for AutoX, Road course, and go-carts, but not just to be there.

Hopefully the NG can make a comeback next year.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. UMG had 33 3/Ses there this year (in the rain). Last year we had 37. Plus another 10-15 owners without a 3/S. A car event should be as cheap as possible. If you start charging people then you are expected to put on a hell of an event. The NG was giving out a 3/S experience and charging Ferrari prices.

Alan and Lori have put in a hell of a lot of work on the NG over the years. We all have a tremendous respect for all that you have done. But your NG formula just doesn't work for the size of the 3/S community and their pocketbooks.

later,
    Curt

Minnesota 3/S message board: http://forums.mn3s.org/
    Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Minnesota.3S/

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I've been deployed or in training--consecutively--for pretty much every NG since 2007 (including 3.5 years in Germany). I'd registered in 2011 & ended up giving it away because I couldn't go. I sponsored in 2012.

The platform is dead. I know nobody wants to face the truth--but it is. FB is killing it off. That, and nearly every 3/s is about to be at least 20+ years old (check the MFG dates on your latest 99's). Nobody wants these cars. Vendors are going tits-up because the money isn't there. The older, more loyal owners have families, lives to lead, jobs to work, etc. Younger blood who could be walking in the paths we were walking as young pups 15 years ago--just don't want these cars. The 3/s will probably never be redeemed to cult-classic, coveted-icon status like its 90's contemporaries. The forum rift didn't help things; but the lion's share of the blame there is the complicit sycophants and irrational idealists who kept 3sdie afloat.

What I can tell you is that my new DD is such a small car community that if there ever is a gathering, they pretty much have to open the doors to not just all models from the manufacturer...but pretty much all makes as well.

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    My life is my job now. Same issue as last year.

2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - 1.8L 5-speed 3.9 torsen FMII powered
    Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/threa.../greg-pa-build

99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
    98 Pearl White VR4 #54 of 231 - 12.84@105mph - 93 Octane 12.50@107mph - 100 Octane with Chromed ECU - sold
    99 Pearl White VR4 #108 of 287 - 3RD place stock car class ECG 11 - Sold
    98 Black VR4: 100% stock - totalled by an Illegal 2-12-08
    95 White Stealth TT - 11.852 @ 118.25 - sold
    95 SSG Stealth TT - 11.981 @ 115.81mph - sold

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    I've been deployed or in training--consecutively--for pretty much every NG since 2007 (including 3.5 years in Germany). I'd registered in 2011 & ended up giving it away because I couldn't go. I sponsored in 2012.

The platform is dead. I know nobody wants to face the truth--but it is. FB is killing it off. That, and nearly every 3/s is about to be at least 20+ years old (check the MFG dates on your latest 99's). Nobody wants these cars. Vendors are going tits-up because the money isn't there. The older, more loyal owners have families, lives to lead, jobs to work, etc. Younger blood who could be walking in the paths we were walking as young pups 15 years ago--just don't want these cars. The 3/s will probably never be redeemed to cult-classic, coveted-icon status like its 90's contemporaries. The forum rift didn't help things; but the lion's share of the blame there is the complicit sycophants and irrational idealists who kept 3sdie afloat.

What I can tell you is that my new DD is such a small car community that if there ever is a gathering, they pretty much have to open the doors to not just all models from the manufacturer...but pretty much all makes as well.
    Personally I think this touches on the issue but doesn't go far enough. The reason this is dying is not new or special. Every active hobby is dying. Autosports, scuba, skiing, travel... All are having trouble because the new crop of "adults" have a rough time sticking with anything, including jobs, hence the lack of funds.

I don't want to come off all "you kids get off my lawn" but I personally have 3 kids who are incapable of watching a full length movie without getting bored. Instant gratification has become king, and anyone who has worked on any car, but especially these, knows that instant gratification isn't even a thought. Hell, I've got the radio fully working in mine last night for the first time since 2010.

I think we will continue to see a migration from very specialized clubs to more inclusive, simply because being unique is both a positive and a flaw. If we start a "Red 3000gt Gen 1 Club", we severely limit our options.

I may attend the AWD event in Ocean city this year. Open to all, held over a weekend should be several hundred cars there. I will have to join Millville raceway for my racing needs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ^ Yes. I agree with that assessment. I suspect that our peoples are going to become even MORE broke, even MORE hyper-extended financially, etc. Both because of boredom & a constant/endless need for "new"--and social media giving people the ability to appear more prestigious than they actually are. The latter has resulted in tons of people living well outside their means in an effort to appear affluent.

I have a 30 year old friend who is FINALLY (seriously) considering paying off her vehicle in 2 years and just keeping it. Thereby saving $750/month on car payments. Like somehow this thought never occurred to her before. I'm elated that she's coming to her senses, but this seems rather indicative of the mindset among younger people.

p.s.
    I guess I was that way about my 3/s (definitely back in 2011) but not anymore. Now? I'm all about buying/renting property. 1 house paid off & rented. 1 on mortgage & rented. 1 on mortgage I'm living in. And I'll probably buy another a few years down the pike. This appears to be my best road to financial security--and if that means forgoing my dream car--that's a choice I've already made.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast