Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad news about NG17

Advanced Tech? verified Feedback Score 0 i3igpete's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I registered for the NG, even though I probably won't be able to make it due to work travel in August. I figured if it was still going to happen, the budget would be stretched pretty thin so I wanted to help out where I could.
    Maddog Performance Engineering

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 JoshAnker's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Because I no longer own a 3S

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm broke, that's the long and short of it, so this year probably couldn't happen for me. I never can actually schedule vacation so it's just a matter of if I have money and if I'm backed up at work, so signing up in advance is never something I can really commit to. While most people have to schedule early, I have to schedule late.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAnker View Post
    I haven't brought a 3S to an NG in years, soooooooo.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 Checkered vr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have to have vacation turned in by December 1st. I was planning on popping in for the road race and then heading back home.

Administrator Feedback Score 3 (100%) Alan92RTTT's Avatar
    Owner Since
    02/1998

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAnker View Post
    Hey Josh, How are you doing?

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I very much enjoy going to these types of events but haven't been able to make many over the past years due to school, work and funds.
    This years event, while close to home for me, would not be an exception. This is my last year at university and I take summer classes, I am simply too busy.

Forum User Feedback Score 2 (100%) Maximal's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    All valid reasons here but I think the overall issue is that the core NG group has moved on to new responsibilities. When I was going to the NG's every year the only thing I had to worry about was finding someone to watch the dogs. Now I've got 2 kids, along with a ton of other "adult" responsibilities. Hell, I haven't driven my car more than 50 miles over the past 2.5 years.

In the past you'd have a sporadic dose of these people busy adulting drop off but there was always new blood to make up for them. When people started dropping off in larger numbers, for some reason that new blood failed to step up and start making these gatherings.

You could point the affordability of these cars now and money being a factor but my first NG I was able to pay for as a broke college kid, and this year was more affordable than ever. Could be the younger generation is OK socializing online compared to in person but I spent way too much online back then too. Could be the forum split and now the rise of Facebook groups making it hard to get traction on a single topic. I wonder if more marketing of the event on Facebook and somehow the other forum would have helped but I have my doubts.

Sucks this is happening for sure. I know next year will be a tough call. I'd love to say I'll be there but I honestly don't think I will.

Mad JDM Tite Feedback Score 0 95gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Timing was the ultimate issue for me. My second child is due around that time so traveling out of state for car stuff was out of the question.

I know the committee tries to get information out as soon as possible, however I think getting the dates locked in early and getting registration open early are both two key items to improving attendance.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree, the forum activity especially started dying down when the face book groups started to increase. It is very difficult to have certain discussions and maintain topics on the face book groups so I never bothered trying. At the same time the decreased forum activity caused me to stop bothering with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
    All valid reasons here but I think the overall issue is that the core NG group has moved on to new responsibilities. When I was going to the NG's every year the only thing I had to worry about was finding someone to watch the dogs. Now I've got 2 kids, along with a ton of other "adult" responsibilities. Hell, I haven't driven my car more than 50 miles over the past 2.5 years.

In the past you'd have a sporadic dose of these people busy adulting drop off but there was always new blood to make up for them. When people started dropping off in larger numbers, for some reason that new blood failed to step up and start making these gatherings.

You could point the affordability of these cars now and money being a factor but my first NG I was able to pay for as a broke college kid, and this year was more affordable than ever. Could be the younger generation is OK socializing online compared to in person but I spent way too much online back then too. Could be the forum split and now the rise of Facebook groups making it hard to get traction on a single topic. I wonder if more marketing of the event on Facebook and somehow the other forum would have helped but I have my doubts.

Sucks this is happening for sure. I know next year will be a tough call. I'd love to say I'll be there but I honestly don't think I will.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast