Thread: Cam choices for 3.0 SOHC

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Cam choices for 3.0 SOHC

Went to install my cams during a loooong rebuild and found them rusted.

It's a stock 92 Stealth SOHC.

I am now looking at cam choices.
    1st choice is to get a set of used cams and run the engine another year while I build a DOHC or even a TT.
    2nd choice is new replacement or slightly better cams.

Nobody has Stealths around here so I am looking for alternative Junkyard engines to get a replacement cam.
    There are thousands of 3.0 Chryslers BUT the HP specs for the Stealth/Mitsu is 164hp and the Chrysler 3.0 is 141hp.
    Parts stores list the cam as being the same.

Is the HP drop from the different Intake/Exhaust manifolds on the Chrysler or is the cam also part of the HP drop?

Is there a better year cam to get that will swap in? I have seen 2002 Eclipse's with the 3.0's but parts books say no can do the swap.

Any input would be great.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The 3.0 in the 3G Eclipse and the like is 24V so yes, the cams are different.

I don't know for sure, but I would say the HP difference from the Chrysler 3.0 and the Stealth 3.0 is from intake, MAS, manifold, etc differences. I don't know for sure if the cams are the same, but even if parts stores say they are the same, doesn't mean they are. I was told the oil pickup was the same and found out it was not.

If you are going to swap just go TT and get it over with. The swap to the NA DOHC would net you next to nothing. It's basically been shown over the years that the DOHC was overrated and the SOHC was underrated. There is probably only a 30 hp difference, vs the rated 60 hp difference.

I also hope you realize the mess you would be getting yourself into swapping either engine. You not only need the engine, but harness, ecu, power steering pump and lines, ac pump and lines, alternator, gauge cluster and so on. Then you also have to wire up the alternator on your own because the SOHC has the alternator wiring in the engine harness, whereas the DOHC's have them in the body harness.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thank you for the reply. You have helped me tremendously with information I didn't know.

I didn't notice the 24v. I just saw the SOHC valve cover. DOH! Feeling dumb now LOL.

A Little late for me because I am going to use my freshly reworked heads, but is there any advantage and much trouble to swap 24v heads in place of the 12v heads?

On a side note: When, (or IF, now that I am better informed), I do the DOHC or TT swap I plan on gutting a junk car for the swap. It won't be the worst I've done but didn't know about the Alternator wiring. Very interesting, again Thank you.

I understand the parts books being wrong. Seen it too many times, also that is why I ask the better informed people here.

Looks like I will pull a cam or two and compare it to the one I have with a caliper and see if they are in the ball park.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The 24V heads won't work. The entire timing system is different. Also, I am not sure how much of a difference it makes but the engine rotates the opposite way, because its mounted on the right side, instead of the left.