Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NA center gauges swap into VR4? Plug and play?

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

NA center gauges swap into VR4? Plug and play?

Can you swap the NA center gauges (only different being volt instead of boost) into a VR4 without modifying the harness? I'd like to get a volt gauge but keep the stock gauge look, since I have boost on an LCD screen and the stock one isn't useful.

I know there are 2 speedo variations, but I think the other gauges are all the same from 91-99. If it is plug-and-play, is it only certain years?

On a related note; this means I would need the NA style gauge overlay faces. Which means the 160mph speedo. I don't have an NA to look at side by side; are the TT and NA MPH marks in the same place on the gauge face (which would mean the VR4 speedo would work with an NA face)?
    1995 VR4 Coupe

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    I think it will work but speaking logically the needle maybe off then what speed you are actually going.
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

I'm Kind Of A Big Deal
    Owner Since

Thanks
    why would you need the n/a main gauge cluster?
    Circa 2005... Oh my, how far I've come
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilie@GZP View Post
    gear wrenches = wrench with the spinny thing inside of the circle part?
    Current:
    2004 ML500 - Mommy Mobile
    1996 Ram 2500 V10 - Tow Vehicle
    1991 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo - Pink Parts, Billet GZP 747's
    1995 3000GT VR-4 - lawn gnome
    1999 3000GT SL - 7,436 miles
    1995 3000GT Spyder - garage ornament

FOR SALE:
    1995 3000GT Spyder VR-4 Red, 80k miles

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrosity View Post
    I think it will work but speaking logically the needle maybe off then what speed you are actually going.
    I'd only be replacing the face, not the entire speedo assembly, so the needle would still be a stock TT assembly. If the numbers on the face of the TT and NA are in the same spot, it'd be perfectly fine. I can't tell 100% from the pics online if they line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilie@GZP View Post
    why would you need the n/a main gauge cluster?
    I don't need the NA main cluster, just the center gauge set. What I need to know is if the markings on the face of the NA and TT for MPH are in the same spots, so that I can use the stock TT main cluster.

The problem is the face overlays (http://cleantuning.com/ebayw/wp-cont...3000GT_VR4.jpg) can't be bought as individual gauges, so it has to be an NA or TT set. If I buy the TT set, it comes with the boost gauge overlay. If I buy the NA set, it comes with the volt gauge overlay, but also the NA speedo overlay instead of a TT one ... I can't buy a TT set and substitute a volt gauge overlay instead of the boost gauge overlay; I already asked.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You wont even be touching the main gauge cluster if you swap out the center gauges.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000G...#ht_500wt_1182

EDIT: unless you want to change the gauge faces out on your own will for a different look? then i can understand your problem, but it isnt needed if you want to look stock
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 10-19-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm either being really unclear, or nobody is reading.

Question 1) Is the NA center gauge set plug and play in a TT - will the volt gauge work properly, or do I need to do rewiring on the harness?

Question 2) Do the MPH marks on the NA speedo and VR4 speedo line up with each other?

Notes:
    * I am NOT swapping any gauges on the main cluster.
    * I AM installing gauge face OVERLAYS on both the main AND center cluster.
    * I HAVE to use an NA overlay set (which means NA speedo face) if I want the VOLT gauge face overlay for the center cluster.
    * I would have to buy a set of TT face overlays, not use the boost overlay and buy a SECOND SET of overlays for an NA for just the volt gauge face overlays. I don't want to blow $50 for one single gauge face overlay. I don't care that my speedo face only goes to 160mph instead of 180mph; I DO care if the gauge will be inaccurate due to different spacing. I can't tell from pics online because I can't find consistent angles and scaling measurements; if I had 2 gauges faces in front of me, one TT and one NA, all I would do is put them on top of each other and see if the MPH marks line up - is 60mph on an NA speedo face 60mph on a TT speedo face? Is 100mph on the NA speedo in the same place as 100mph on the TT speedo? The mechanics to the actual needle assembly will be untouched; I'm just swapping the face.

Maybe I should have made 2 threads.

Desired process, if it will work:

Step 1) Remove stock VR4 main cluster
    Step 2) Remove stock VR4 center gauges
    Step 3) Replace speedo, tach, and gas gauge FACE on the main cluster - this includes the NA speedo FACE (due to NA face kit contents)
    Step 4) Acquire stock NA center gauges
    Step 5) Install oil pressure, coolant temp, and volt gauge FACES
    Step 6) Install NA center gauges in the VR4
    Step 7) Install stock VR4 main cluster w/NA speedo FACE

The things I don't know is if the MPH marks on the gauge face for NA and TT line up, and if the NA center gauges plug and play and the voltage gauge just "works". It's a voltage gauge, so it doesn't require a sender, and the regular gauges have power/ground, which is all the volt gauge uses. In theory it's possible, I just don't know if the pin assignments (or plugs) are the same on the NA and TT center gauges.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jba3; 10-20-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jba3 View Post
    I'm either being really unclear, or nobody is reading.

Question 1) Is the NA center gauge set plug and play in a TT - will the volt gauge work properly, or do I need to do rewiring on the harness?

Question 2) Do the MPH marks on the NA speedo and VR4 speedo line up with each other?
    1. No. You need to rewire the harness. Totally different signal. As is the boost gauge moves all over the place according to the input from the Karman Hz to the ECU. Not the voltage. Although, I am not sure how many wires go to the actual gauge itself. If there were to be a positive constant on the plug and a ground, also including the Hz reading (as in 3 wire or 4 wire), then maybe. It depends on the harness of a NA. Just plug it in and turn the key.

2. No, The range is different. Therefore, your actual speed will no longer be what it shows.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmist View Post
    1. No. You need to rewire the harness. Totally different signal. As is the boost gauge moves all over the place according to the input from the Karman Hz to the ECU. Not the voltage. Although, I am not sure how many wires go to the actual gauge itself. If there were to be a positive constant on the plug and a ground, also including the Hz reading (as in 3 wire or 4 wire), then maybe. It depends on the harness of a NA. Just plug it in and turn the key.

2. No, The range is different. Therefore, your actual speed will no longer be what it shows.
    Excellent, thanks. Looks like I'll stick with the stock VR4 center cluster.

Senior (i.e. OLD) Member :) verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    James, I know you're wanting a stock look, but if you really want a voltmeter, you might look at this....

http://yovia.com/blogs/scantool/2010...meter-12-volt/

It "looks" like it will spin in a direction that's usable in our cars, and its portable and removable

I'm sure it's not what you had in mind, but I thought I'd share...

Bob.)
    95 Caracus Red Spyder VR4 (sold 6/12/21 )
    Cianci FG Viper Hood/Aerocatch Pins
    Quad Carbon Fiber Tipped Borla Catback
    Stock 18" 6 Spoke Chromies
    K&N FIPK
    Indiglo Gauges
    JimVR4's Remote Start/Top Op Computer

92 Wheat Beige Metallic Stealth TT (sold 6/14/20 )

OhioSpyderman Short Shifter (in both!!!)
    SBC-iD Boost Controller (in both!!!)

Oldest son - 94 Danube Blue VR4 (sold 10/19)
    Middle son - 93 Panama Green VR4

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioSpyderman View Post
    James, I know you're wanting a stock look, but if you really want a voltmeter, you might look at this....

http://yovia.com/blogs/scantool/2010...meter-12-volt/

It "looks" like it will spin in a direction that's usable in our cars, and its portable and removable

I'm sure it's not what you had in mind, but I thought I'd share...

Bob.)
    Thanks Bob. I can pull up voltage on my BlackStealth LCD screen that is tied into the MUT data from the ECU, so it's no big deal. I generally have that screen set to display boost and knock, so having voltage on tap was preferable to a second boost gauge that isn't really a "true" boost gauge either. I was just poking through the idea since I have to pull both clusters to install the gauge faces, LCD screen, and LEDs for the needles and wanted to do as much as I can at once.

I'll post up some pics when I get everything squared away.