Thread: Drivetrain chattering, clunking

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Drivetrain chattering, clunking

I have a really bad and weird problem, I had a 92 25 spline transmission/Transfer combo that was holding for a swap, the output shaft and input spool were rough looking so I got a used output shaft from a guy in the other forum (OEM low miles, swapped for a 300m or harder one) and a new spool, I installed the shaft the "correct" way, removing the bell housing and no the black plug at the end, not a lot miss here, same for the transfer case.

Now, installed both and its undriveable, it clunks and feels like its something loose down there, oem clutch kit (not exedy or oem replacement) and flywheel, good amsoil GL4 fluid, good axles, intermediate shaft hanger bolts are torqued down, same for the TC and transaxle bolts, good mounts, differential bushings are tight, weird thing is that if l put the car in jackstands, I cannot see any clunking or vibration unless I drop the clutch really quick, I can hear see some vibration from the transmission, carrier bearings have some play but can't see any excess movement there.

Got the transmission from a really nice looking Stealth, low miles just a spun bearing (blown oil cooler line), owner said that he had absolutely no problems with the the transaxle, what could have gone wrong? Noticed a few things (not an AWD expert), transmission in neutral, if I spin a front wheel, rear ones start to move, same for the rears, fronts move, put it in gear and only the front/rear pair spins, that is normal? Front, drivers (left) wheel seems harder to spin, in fact that one doesn't turn unless I stop the passengers side (front open diff stuff right? ).

Owner Since

Thanks

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Take the trans back apart, something is not right. I always spin these on the bench after I put them back together and go through the gears.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Owner Since

Thanks
    Any special thing to look for? Actually I drove the car like that just around the block, I switched gears without problems (well no 5th, just low mph driving), still it felt like something was binding, didn't felt like a clutch problem as it engages smoothly and the noise starts just after taking off, a guy told me that probably the front diff is toast, I remember that one and looked fine, every teeth/gear, also that one just goes on top of the housing, not too much to mess here, anyway trans is going down, I just had some trouble since I got new aftermarket axles and now the cups don't have that big indentation and its kinda hard to pop off the passenger axle (OEM ones are a piece of cake, 19mm wrench and a small mallet do the trick everytime awd/fwd/atx)

Owner Since

Thanks
    I couldn't separate the new axle, new lock ring is stuck in there, so I reassemble everything and was about to bring the car to the nearest shop, I noticed something, the left k-member was hitting one of my 90 degree AN fittings that go to the oil filter, there was no clearance and everytime that were some suspension travel it was hitting there and sending all that vibration to the engine, removed that bar and it drives fine.. dammn...