Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2015 F-150 Platinum

I don't own a VR4! Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My 2015 F-150 Platinum

So I traded in the BMW a few months back for something that both the wife and I could agree on. We wanted to get a truck, I kept raving about a Diesel truck, but after reading about some of the stories with the new diesels and some of the price tags even for basic models, I opted to get a new F-150. I wasn't fond of the new Ram trucks, I really felt like I was sitting in a 1999 Ram interior wise. I liked the Chevy pickups, but the interior was not as refined as the Ford interior.

We were driving the BMW after it went in to the shop a few weeks before and started hearing the typical wastegate rattle and erratic spooling and it needed more things like a windshield and brakes. Total cost of this was somewhere north of 5,000 which I really did not feel like spending and I said, to hell with it, trade it in, we'll get a new truck. We wanted to get something that had the bells and whistles and the comfort that we had in the car. We narrowed the search down to either the Lariat or the Platinum/King Ranch. We liked the King Ranch trim in the Super Duty but in the F-150 it lacked some features that the Platinum did have and the Platinum was better on insurance due to more safety features for a little bit more money. So we opted for the F-150 Platinum. We had the option of the 5.0L V8 or the 3.5 Ecoboost, we chose the 3.5 Ecoboost really for the gas mileage, but the towing capability of 11,000 pounds is an added benefit. The 5.0L V8 had a 10,000 pound towing capacity.

Pulling our 15 foot heavy fiberglass boat it didn't sweat. Pulling up hills, descending hills was no issue with this Truck. The engine is incredibly potent down low and the 4WD system is incredibly smooth, the sport transmission is incredibly fun and the sport mode really makes this truck a powerhouse. The turbos spool up really nice and in the parking ramps it is nice to hear them spool. The turbos are about the size of a 7 or 8G frame, but they are pretty smooth. The truck runs on 87 octane with no issues being that it is turbocharged. It also doesn't have all of the direct injection issues like the BMW had. We took it down to Texas and back for it's first 4500 miles and it averaged around 24 MPGs, which is incredibly good on a truck.

We opted for Tri-Color White which looks really nice no matter if it is dirty or not. The interior has perforated seats, the front seats are massage, heated, and cooled seats, seats in the back are heated only. It has the Collision Warning system, Lane Keeping system, blind spot warning detection, adaptive cruise control (super nice on long drives), and it has the Sync system which is miles better than the BMW's iDrive, even the new iDrive. I have been enjoying the truck, having a brand new vehicle with a warranty. I will post up pictures soon.
    Your 1993 Dodge Stealth is one of 6351 that received VIN numbers. Based on the order of the serial numbers, your car was the 5212nd out of the 6351 that were made that year.
    Your car was built in the 3rd week of February 1993. Of the 47380 vehicles made at the Nayoga plant, your car was the 40537th vehicle to be created that year.
    There are 281 other cars that were made with both the same interior and exterior color. There are 779 cars with the same exterior color and 2316 cars with the same interior color.
    Note: The production order is assigned based on the order of the serial number.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boost4VR4 For This Useful Post:

Monogamous Gigolo verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    NICE!! I had no clue that the F150 has that high of towing capacity.

Never finishes any verified
    Feedback Score 8 (100%) DrGonzo's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I picked up a 2015 F-150 a couple months ago myself, I went with the 4-door Supercrew XLT 302a and HD Tow package. I specifically choose the 5.0 over the ecoboost mainly due to the fact that I don't trust the ecoboost turbo's longevity. I didn't want to go to the lariat or higher model as the next models up included too many features I didn't want. Like Leather seats, Adaptive Cruise, Lane assist, Etc. I have no need for all those bells and whistles. Only thing I did lose out on was the extended Tow Mirrors which I'll end up adding myself later on.

This morning I ended up get rocked on the way into work and cracked my windshield to the point it will need to be replaced. Seems the new glass is called "Sound Screen" glass to reduce cabin noise and it is thinner than normal glass hence it cracks easier. Replacement windshield through insurance cost is $580 installed. If I had the lane assist or rain sensors it would have been almost $800! Found a local place that does Carlite OEM glass that will replace it for $250.

Check it out on Youtube!!

93 Stealth TT - The Stealth Project

Renegade Tech Works ECS Controller on Intrax Springs
    Chrome ECU
    Hybrid 13g's
    EVO 560cc Injectors
    Spec Stage 3 clutch
    Ninja Performance Output shaft & Input spool
    Ninja Performance Solid Tensioner & Gates racing T-Belt
    CX Racing Dual Core FMIC
    Megan SS Exhaust
    Fidanza Cam Gears and Clear Covers
    3rd Gen Lifters
    HKS BOV
    K&N FIPK
    Maximal High flow converter
    Walbro FP & FuelLab FPR
    Maximal and Seattle Solid Mounts
    All -6an Lines
    Custom -6AN coolant neck lines
    AWS/ABS/Cruise Delete
    MP Rear Control Arms
    SS Brake Lines
    99 Front Conversion
    2nd gen Rear Bumper
    99 Combat Wing
    Complete interior LED Swap
    Skillard Fuel channel
    Oohnoo FPR Bracket
    More to Come......

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
    I picked up a 2015 F-150 a couple months ago myself, I went with the 4-door Supercrew XLT 302a and HD Tow package. I specifically choose the 5.0 over the ecoboost mainly due to the fact that I don't trust the ecoboost turbo's longevity. I didn't want to go to the lariat or higher model as the next models up included too many features I didn't want. Like Leather seats, Adaptive Cruise, Lane assist, Etc. I have no need for all those bells and whistles. Only thing I did lose out on was the extended Tow Mirrors which I'll end up adding myself later on.

This morning I ended up get rocked on the way into work and cracked my windshield to the point it will need to be replaced. Seems the new glass is called "Sound Screen" glass to reduce cabin noise and it is thinner than normal glass hence it cracks easier. Replacement windshield through insurance cost is $580 installed. If I had the lane assist or rain sensors it would have been almost $800! Found a local place that does Carlite OEM glass that will replace it for $250.
    I haven't really had any problems with the Ecoboost, it's a super stout engine, it seems to have no issues with the turbos. There where a lot of generational changes with the turbos. The biggest advantage is the manifold design and the oversized engine oil cooler.

I have the HD Max Tow package as well. I wanted that because I want to be able to pull a trailer with a trailer brake.

Never finishes any verified
    Feedback Score 8 (100%) DrGonzo's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, I needed the HD tow for the car and trailer going through the mountains.

Not saying the Ecoboost are not great, but I'm wondering how great they will be at 150-200k miles. Turbo's in general are not known to last that long and their performance degrades after time.

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
    Yeah, I needed the HD tow for the car and trailer going through the mountains.

Not saying the Ecoboost are not great, but I'm wondering how great they will be at 150-200k miles. Turbo's in general are not known to last that long and their performance degrades after time.
    This is true. I am hoping they will last a long time. There are some aftermarket upgrades already for the 2015s and they are making some serious power on the Ecoboost engine.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Watch out for rear end issues. Service call guy at work has a EcoBoost F150 for his service calls and carrier bearings went out in the rear end at 90k miles. After doing research online it appears to be a pretty common issue.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    Watch out for rear end issues. Service call guy at work has a EcoBoost F150 for his service calls and carrier bearings went out in the rear end at 90k miles. After doing research online it appears to be a pretty common issue.
    90k for carrier bearings is a pretty good life. I think I read that they have gone out on others sooner, but then again, carrier bearings realistically shouldn't last forever seeing as they have a lot of vibration and torsion forces being exerted on them.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I've seen trucks with 300k miles on them on the original carrier bearings. 90k is premature failure in my eyes.

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    I've seen trucks with 300k miles on them on the original carrier bearings. 90k is premature failure in my eyes.
    Yea, well with 300K miles, that would have to be a very gingerly driven truck because even on my older F-150 my carrier bearings didn't last longer than 130k miles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast