Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: putting on timing belt, have couple of questions

the BOSS of jellow supporter
    Owner Since
    May 2005

Thanks

putting on timing belt, have couple of questions

I'm trying to follow manual to put the new timing belt on.
    I have removed the camshafts and didn't mark anything on the old belt. also was moving crankshaft back and forth. (I was doing VSS and lifters)

so I realigned cam gears, and set crank sprocket 1 tooth back. but when I install everything and make the belt tight with tensioner pulley, the crankshaft is still 1 tooth behind. what am I doing wrong?

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    When you tighten up your tensioner pulley make sure you pull any slack up from the bottom, not down from the top. What's happening is that you're pulling the cams off 1/2 a tooth, instead of pulling the crank in a full tooth. It helps to have someone hold the front cam still...

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've always just lined everything up exact and lock the cams in place...that's how I've always done it and never had a problem.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a2j View Post
    I'm trying to follow manual to put the new timing belt on.
    I have removed the camshafts and didn't mark anything on the old belt. also was moving crankshaft back and forth. (I was doing VSS and lifters)

so I realigned cam gears, and set crank sprocket 1 tooth back. but when I install everything and make the belt tight with tensioner pulley, the crankshaft is still 1 tooth behind. what am I doing wrong?
    try compensating by setting it one tooth ahead

Owner Since
    May 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '92ES View Post
    When you tighten up your tensioner pulley make sure you pull any slack up from the bottom, not down from the top. What's happening is that you're pulling the cams off 1/2 a tooth, instead of pulling the crank in a full tooth. It helps to have someone hold the front cam still...
    the only slack I ended up with is where tensioner pulley is. and when I tighten it up, nothing else moves. so right now I have no slack, everything is tight and crank shaft is 1 tooth off. I was thinking to do the way Mean Green described. I have no other explanation to what is going on, so far.

Owner Since
    May 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphiron View Post
    try compensating by setting it one tooth ahead
    I'll end up that way at the end. nothing moves when I finishig with tensioner pulley.

yeah, you want to lock the cams and have slack between the front ex cam and the crank....then you tension, and crank rolls clockwise 1 tooth in the process..."usually", lol.

Born To Build
    Owner Since
    June 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
    I've always just lined everything up exact and lock the cams in place...that's how I've always done it and never had a problem.
    x2...Thats the way ive done it on every tbelt job ive done. As long as there is NO slack anywhere except where the tensioner is and you spin everything around several times and its still lined up then your golden!

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the only slack I ended up with is where tensioner pulley is. and when I tighten it up, nothing else moves. so right now I have no slack, everything is tight and crank shaft is 1 tooth off. I was thinking to do the way Mean Green described. I have no other explanation to what is going on, so far.
    Try putting the belt back on, following the order given in the manual EXACTLY: start with the front cam, clip the belt on with a binder clip, then the second cam and another clip, around the water pump, etc. I've seen people suggest going backwards, starting with the rear most cam, but it's been my experience that leads to the exact problem you're having. Cam lockers would be handy and there's plenty of home-made ideas around but if you don't have any having someone hold the front cam still can help. If after re-installing the belt you still can't pull the crank into alignment go ahead and put it on the mark and tension it up. If everything stays in alignment after spinning it around a few times, and the pin on the tensioner slides in and out, you're probably good....

Wrench Monkey Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by a2j View Post
    That's because you're doing it the right way. When you do it the right way, you don't need to set the crank back a tooth. Just line everything up and leave all the slack in the tensioner area like you did. You'll be fine.
    1997 3000GT VR4 - Solano Black Pearl - E85 - E316G-BIG - All the boost
    1993 3000GT VR4 - Maroon/Blacktop - Back to stock/Restoration
    1994 Stealth R/T - Primer - Parts store