Thread: Clutch help, odd problem?

Forum User
    Owner Since
    07'

Smack dab in middle of the Michigan glove
    Thanks

Clutch help, odd problem?

First off, hello all long long time no play.

Ok...93 stealth TT

Sat for a year, parked with no issues. Took it out year + later, ran fine but clutch was acting funny.

WOT seemed jump a little in rpms on the climb up to WOT. (Now hold ur thoughts).

Pushed in clutch at stop sign, put in first gear let off clutch and did not budge, pushed in clutch went to any and all gears, did not budge.

Took foot off clutch, went thru any and all gears did not budge. All sorts of clutch pedal resistance, full resvoir, no leaks.

Took off MAF, Y Pipe, bubble to view clutch slave cylinder fork, wife stepped on clutch multiple times, fork moves in and out about 3/4 inch maybe inch max.

Need you opinion as to what issue is, if its a new clutch just for me to sell this like new car, i need to start looking for a service person because even the Dodge dealer in Grand Rapids Mi. Says he has not the employees with the know how to do even the 60k tune up when i stopped while ago.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sounds like your clutch is shot. Your car is nice, I would probably work on it again. I am trying to get away from working on everyones cars as I just don't have the time, if it can sit at my house for 3-4 weeks I could do it.

92 3000GT VR4
    Matt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sublime_whatigo For This Useful Post:

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sublime_whatigo View Post
    Sounds like your clutch is shot. Your car is nice, I would probably work on it again. I am trying to get away from working on everyones cars as I just don't have the time, if it can sit at my house for 3-4 weeks I could do it.
    Oh No's

Forum User
    Owner Since
    07'

Thanks
    LOL I swear 8 years ago you were struggling to get away from repairing others.. I thank you for the option for sure. I could use direction in what to buy. Do I need OEM or alternative that is better? Got to see what its all gonna add up to. can i pm you down the road?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I prefer OEM for stock/lightly modded cars. Ya feel free to pm me.

Forum User
    Owner Since
    07'

Thanks
    Blows my mind its the clutch. I put maybe 1000 miles on this car. No grinding no half start failing just parked it and complete fail come spring. Yes it made it out of garage but foot off clutch did not release the (guessing here) the disk from plate but then it started to work itself to normal besides WOT noted above. After 5 miles, stop sign, no car move under any gear with or without clutch depressed. It never gave me a clue ever, worked when parked just fine. This is what baffles me.

Tell me, is the slave cylinder movement with clutch in and out approx. 3/4 inch 1 inch correct?

And would the clutch release bearing (throw out bearing) be the culprit and everything else good? I ask because sadly i will be selling after this issue is fixed. As said i only have maybe 1000 miles on it myself. Would really like a better idea of what specific it could be or closer understanding of what happened just to wrap it around my own head ✊��.

Can not find my issue anywhere on google. No grind, no movement, all gears accessible clutch depressed or not pushed. No hints of failure...... Just trying to get it! ��

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That slave cylinder movement sounds about right. Your thinking of it in the wrong way.

All the hydraulics do is disengage the disk from the flywheel, you could take the slave/master off your car and drive without it. Sometimes the master cylinder can be adjusted so far out of whack that the clutch would be disengaged all the time, doesn't sound like whats going on here. The test for that is to see if can can decompress the slave by hand, that means the fluid is unrestricted to travel back into the master cylinder.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Can you put it in gear with the clutch pedal let out and the engine running?

When you say "all sorts of resistance" on the pedal, what on earth do you mean?

I'd remove the slave cylinder, let the release fork come all the way back and see if you get any drive just to rule out any weird hydraulic fault.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

Forum User
    Owner Since
    07'

Thanks
    The clutch pedal feels like it always did. It is not spongy. Yes i can put the car in all gears running or not running pedal depressed or not depressed.