Thread: Speedo / Tach / Odometer not working; center gauges work, lights main cluster work?

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Speedo / Tach / Odometer not working; center gauges work, lights main cluster work?

Having an interesting issue. I used an extra cluster to install an LCD screen below the tach, and I swapped over the speedo assembly from the car when I was done modding the "alternate" cluster. Both are from 95 VR4s.

However, my speedo, tach, and odometer don't work. The sport/tour lights, etc, work. The stock center gauges (temp, oil, boost) work fine. Power windows work, and turn signals too. This leads me to think fuse #11 isn't the issue, and that the cluster is connected okay since it is lighting up. I thought it might be from having the 4-ways disconnected, or the trim bezel w/ECS, etc, disconnected, but reconnecting those didn't help (I replaced the gauge faces on the center gauges, which work fine, hence the temporary 4-way flasher removal).

I do have the gauge overlay powered off a temporary add-a-fuse in spot #8 on the fusebox by the driver's side kick panel. The gauge overlay lights up fine as well, and is the only other mod I've done besides swapping the cluster.

Oddly enough, when I turn on my 4-way flashers, the RPM needle jumps around about 2500-3000rpm constantly. I've removed and replaced the cluster before and not had issues, so I am 100% sure this cluster will work with the car, it's just not working right now....

It's totally not fun driving a 55 mile trip to work, and possibly back home, without a speedo or tach.

Any ideas?
    1995 VR4 Coupe

rawr. verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) Atrosity's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Did you check to see if the gears are bad? Is the assembly fully put together on the internals? Are the harnesses fully snapped in?
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrosity View Post
    Did you check to see if the gears are bad? Is the assembly fully put together on the internals? Are the harnesses fully snapped in?
    Gears SHOULD be fine, it worked a few days ago when I tested it to make sure it would work before putting in the effort of modding it and fitting the screen.

Assembly should be fully put together; needles weren't removed and I swapped the assembly by removing the silver screws from the back.

Harnesses "clicked" in, but I'm going to double check just in case.

Ah, I forgot to mention, the gas gauge was at 3/4, and it dropped to empty after a couple miles. So strange.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 blackrob's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I don't really know how this would help you, but it might be something to check out. There is a relay on the driver's side underneath the carpet trim of the center console. (I'm not sure which one it is) I disconnected it so I could pull my center console out to fix my e-brake. While said relay was disconnected I got the same problems you are having. Good thing for me I was only driving 15 miles and I was following someone. Good luck.
    Moving on to reality. Sold my 3KGT, and now I am selling off my parts.
    Click here to see my parts for sale

Owner Since

Thanks
    Badgers! I got it. And I feel so stupid.

The wiring for the LCD screen was pinched behind the cluster. I was focused on routing the gauge overlay wiring over top of the cluster, and completely missed the LCD wiring.

Everything is working now. Even the weird 4-way flasher RPM jumping is gone.

And ... man those center gauges were rough! My hands are all scratched up, and I spent forever trying to get out the 2 "inverted" screws that you have to have a stubby screwdriver in the vent opening to get too, and those suckers only hold the metal bracket. Just glad to have it alllll back together with my new sexy gauge overlays and LCD screen. Pics soon to come, as soon as I get the LCD brainbox and rotary hooked up.