Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Laptop Impulse buy!

Dad verified Feedback Score 0 NickS VR4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks
    The Broadwell U series is amazing on battery life. Can't imagine Cannonlake U. Also SSDs with ultrabooks speed things up a ton. Soon we'll have 15-18hour ultrabooks.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Always had bad luck with gaming laptops, I remember the old C2D Asus G series, alienware area series, both failed and never looked back, now.. my old Thinkpad T60 went thru all sorts of hell, and still works great, just a few missing keys, same for all my T series thinkpads.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Meh. Don't let the armchair pundits sway you. I SWEAR by MSI. And with a 17", you've got far better cooling options than I do in my 15"--even though that's never really bothered me. I've had this one for 2 years without a hiccough. First 15" with a 3k screen, and it FLIES. I utterly fail to see how anyone can poo-poo spending $2100 for this laptop (when new), considering how much stuff they packed into it. It's literally chock full to the gills. MSI has (imho) the best laptop keyboards on the market (steel series), best audio (dynaudio), etc, etc, etc. And their laser mice are great too! Sure, after a couple hours of STO it gets a tad hot on the exhaust side, but so what? I can always turn on fan turbo (fan noise doesn't bother me at all when i'm wearing my sennheiser's), and there's no issues. I've played HOURS AND HOURS of everything from Serious Sam 3 to DNF & it doesn't have to "pause-x" for heat dissipation. And, if I want, I have 2 more slots for SSD drives--meaning I can have 3 full SSD drives with virtually unlimited storage potential (HDD is already 1TB). Oh yeah, and it's an IPS screen. So those with all the TN panel hate can start shitting themselves about how awesome this screen is. About the only drawback I can complain about is the killer wi-fi card, and that was an easy $50 fix to swap in an intel wi-fi card (and then i sold the killer on ebay and recouped most of the cost).

$2100 TOTALLY worth it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Fuck XBONE. Fuck PS4.

You have chosen wisely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IPD For This Useful Post:

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    My biggest complaint about my asus is the keyboard, total crap. Like the touchpad once I found the better driver. My wife's MSI has the worst audio ever heard in a laptop, so I was a bit skurd till read reviews.

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The thing most people don't get about MSI is that their lineup has a WIDE variation in quality/value. So people buy their low-end junk & then arbitrarily declare that their entire lineup sucks. This GT60-3K IPS edition is my 2nd MSI in a row--and both have worked great. I previously had a GX660R (now the wife's)--still going strong. MSI knows how to do gaming--and that means that their gaming rigs will keep a non-demanding user quite happy for a long time.

Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks
    IMO, laptops just aren't great gaming machines. in a gaming PC, we have liquid cooling, lots of fans, great airflow, and you push the limits.

On a laptop, they try their best to get the most performance, but you physically don't have the ability to have the same cooling. There is no space to allow nice airflow and cooling. Additionally, it drains the shit out of the battery. With gaming though, most of the lifting is done by the GPU, which is why I think the future of laptop gaming will be an external GPU via TB3, that can be powered separately, and cooled away from the rest of the laptop. This will allow for thinner, more portable laptops, and when you want to sit down and game wherever you are, just plug in that GPU for better performance.

My personal experience has always been with Sager computers (for power computing), and I always ran into the same problems. Overheating, constantly needing to clean out the fans, and a massive drain on the battery. I think I need to change out the thermal paste on my GPU as well right now on my last one.

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    10 years ago, I would have agreed with you nick. Unfortunately, the gaming market has gone to shit--thanks to idiots and their blind loyalty to xbox/ps (while, ironically, poo-poo'ing nintendo for "shitty graphics"--while nintendo's 1st party games make the other's prime offerings look like shovelware...but I digress). Point being, 1080p is the gaming standard--since there are almost no games designed in a higher native resolution than 1080p. And it's been like that for the past decade. Games are simply built for consoles & ported to PC (FUCK YOU BETHESDA). And even now, consoles can still choke on high-intensity games at native 1080p...so instead we get some (even now) upscaled to 1080p.

Meanwhile, PC hardware has been improving--and now outstrips software demands (in most cases). I remember back in the 90's & early 2000's. My Alienware Aurora had the Nvidia GeForce Ti4600; and that was a groundbreaking card--because it could actually digest virtually every game in 1600x1200 resolution at playable framerates (20-30FPS). That was back in 2002. 1080p is barely above that in terms of pixels (a difference of ~100,000, with both rounding to 2MP picture). And then there's the infamous (and I'm still going to kill whomever is responsible) WUXGA death and replacement with 1080p--circa 2009. Succinctly, resolutions rendered haven't increased significantly since 2002 (and serious sam 1)--and we've even been forced to swallow a resolution DECREASE in the intervening years.

So today's laptops--with the utter lack of resolution increase/demand in software--have caught up. No, you're not going to overclock to the bleeding edge with refrigeration. It's also irrelevant. So is battery life--gamers don't expect to be chugging out 9 hours on battery while blitzing through the newest games on ultra-high render settings. Are external GPU's the wave of the future? Perhaps...when the bus is proven to sustain the transfer rates needed. Regardless, I'm not inconvenienced by gaming on a laptop. Even if I were to hook up a desktop monitor via HDMI, you'd be hard pressed to really see any difference between what this laptop spits out--and what a dedicated desktop does. The only REAL difference is getting FPS in the several-hundred range, and perhaps 3D--neither of which affects my enjoyment.

Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks
    With TB3, it has a 40Gbps bus, and usually use desktop class GPUs. That is plenty of speed for most cards. ~5x PCIe 3.0.

As for your comment about 1080p gaming, you are right. Actually the iGPUs by intel are starting to catch up. Once DX12, Vulcan and Async start taking off, we may see a lot more power in ultrabook computers as well. Only downside with ultrabooks though at the moment is the lack of cores in the processor. Maybe with the next shrink, this will be solved.

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    well the shrink is this year--and i'm elated to see what will come of it. i don't trust theoretical bandwith (4g speeds, for example). What i trust is real-world demonstrated performance...and i'll reserve my wallet for tested, proven, proof of concept.

Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks
    Shrink was postponed to 2017. It's another tock cycle. Kaby Lake is a Skylake refresh at 14nm.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast