Thread: Swapping front seats and harness

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 EmeraldRegice's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 2016

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Swapping front seats and harness

So I am starting with a 1995 vr4, factory everything. The end result will be racing seats, with a 5 point harness attached. I am undecided on taking out the OEM front seat belts, or just adding the 5 point harness in addition to them. First off, after about a month of some research, I would like some help and advise from others. I doubt many of you are going after what I am, but if you know where to find the info or know what I am intending to do, please help me figure this out.

The end result I want is a way to have a 5 point racing harness installed, perferably without having to install any bars across the vehicle to have to mount the harness. Is this even possible since I want to keep the back seats usable by any means possible. I've seen the info about this, it is extremely hard to make it work, but it can be done aparently. One way is using the rear seat mounts. Is this something that is feasible?

If I am required(which i really hope not) to insert a bar of some/any kind, where should I be looking and how best should such a project be completed for this platform of vehicle? Currently I am going to look and as time progresses, I will be adding in a roll bar/cage for the track. This is only for look/style right now since I don't need functionality until another year or two and the car is more "tweaked", as it is already tuned, to be for the track.

There is always the low road with the "universal" harness bars, I just want to hear what other people have going through their minds in regards to what I have planned out. Plus, the more people you get feedback from, the better quality idea can be formed to create the best desired result.

Now I ask, for someone wanting to install a full roll cage while doing this project, what advise can be given there?

Edit: How would I BEST go about building a harness bar for this application? We don't need horrible spinal fracturing, is best to learn from those who have encountered those. I've looked into making your own, but right now, what design would you use for such an application? This I hope can become a good reference to anyone looking to perform such a project on their vehicle, and by doing so the safest way possible.
    Last edited by EmeraldRegice; 03-16-2016 at 06:58 PM.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    You don't want a harness without a cage.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Mad JDM Tite Feedback Score 0 95gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Here is some reading to elaborate on what is being said here:
    http://www.ogracing.com/blog/2013/02...ing-harnesses/

What should be noted is that DOT approved harnesses are available from Schroth Racing. They are also good about including installation instructions on their website that should help you understand what needs to happen to properly install one of their products, with or without a harness bar.

If you are just looking for a good way to stay secure in your seat while doing performance driving I would personally recommend keeping your standard factory seat belt and using one of these:
    http://www.soloperformance.com/CG-LOCK_p_83.html

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 Checkered vr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I twist the buckle like a corkscrew 360* just before latching it to get the same result. It keeps the lap belt tight while racing and keeps my butt planted while off-roading in the jeep.

Mad JDM Tite Feedback Score 0 95gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkered vr4 View Post
    I twist the buckle like a corkscrew 360* just before latching it to get the same result. It keeps the lap belt tight while racing and keeps my butt planted while off-roading in the jeep.
    There is also a technique where you slide the seat back past where you normally sit, yank on the belt to initiate the locking mechanism, and then while holding the belt taut you slide the seat forward to your correct seating position. Once the seat moves forward your body is putting pressure on the belt to maintain the lock, so you can let go of it with your hand. The belt will stay locked in place until you scoot the seat back.