Thread: Chassis and frames

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 EmeraldRegice's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 2016

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Chassis and frames

So I have been looking at a vehicle with a lot of miles on the chassis, not very much on the engine since it has been rebuilt, to begin, is it possible to rebuild the chassis?
    Is this something that is even do-able/ possible? How much?
    Are there ill effects of hard diving on the chassis and can the chassis be damaged over time even from normal driving?
    What parts are most likely to fail or break on the VR4 and what are some good preventative measures to take to protect the chassis and underside of the vehicle?

IF I can rebuild the frame, does that leave me with the option to set up a new drive train setup to put a completely new transmission setup in the vehicle?
    Last edited by EmeraldRegice; 03-10-2016 at 05:41 PM.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    My Stealth has 194k on the chassis. The only suspension bushings I ever changed was the rear lower control arm bushing. Tie rods and ball joints were replaced as well. Everything else was original. Last year I started "restoring" it and have replaced every bushing up front. I replaced the rack, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. The car is going to be "brand new" under all that mileage.

It's not really cheap to do, but its not overly expensive. Difficulty can depend on your level of knowledge, and how far you want to dig to do it.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The only issue you "might" have with a frame, is rust. There's nothing that I would really worry about with mileage/use. Unreported damage/wrecks/body-work to fix it, also is another sticking point. Apart from those--shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure MY fix is for everyone, but when Shooter & I did the AWD conversion, we sprayed great-stuff foam into the frame rails. Whatever rust may have started, isn't going to go much further--since it won't have an easy path to oxidize.

p.s.

day 1 when i got the car--back in 2003--i had the underbody rust-proofed with bed-liner stuff.