Thread: WET WET WET Autocross in the NW

Man vs 3/S verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) R/T93's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

WET WET WET Autocross in the NW

I had the first autocross of the season on Sunday and have a few pics and a couple videos for your viewing pleasure. It was a really fun day but had a frustrating beginning.

Woke up at 6 meaning to be at the track at 8. Got a late start overthinking what I needed and didnt need to bring with me so was going a little fast on the highway. Stater pulled me over and gave me a 5 over ticket (I was going 13 over, only person on the highway) The trooper was nice and I was courteous back. I was 25 minutes late to the track, stood in line for registration and drove directly from tech inspection right into the grid and into the drivers meeting. I couldnt even walk the track nor did I acquire a course map.

Some pics while I was in line for registration. This was a 10 minute lull in between the dozen or so monsoon cells that ran over us all morning.

I was so scatter brained because I had to rush I didnt set up my go pro for my first run and forgot to turn it on for my 2nd.

This was my 3rd run of the day. The first slalom down the taxiway was dreadful to attempt each time. It wasnt even fast enough for AWS but it was fun rasslin' the 2+ ton car along that section (had a passenger on all my runs). The crossover to the main strip at 1:21 was late braked, understeer into that left turn but it gripped and I avoided the cone for the gate. I was late again on the clockwise turnaround and turned in way too much. I wasnt looking ahead and you can see that in the vid. At 1:32 you can see me turn left to make it INTO the gate, bad driver, bad driver! Look ahead dummy. Also the last slalom I entered it the wrong side and paid for it with a 15 mph exit into the next section, lol. 1st geeearrrrr booooooost!! Passed the line going about 57 mph, lol. A 72.X I think.

My 4th run I was a little more prepared. After watching the video I wish I could be more composed during the long section of slaloms at the start but it is just not feasible with my vehicle, its not quite nimble enough and too heavy to carry the same MPH the smaller cars were doing through there. I was much better across the taxiway, about as good as I could do it I think but I could of been more aggressive along the crossover into the turnaround, probably a quarter second there but I did well on the actual 180 and the entrance into the gate that I screwed up last run was a TON better, lots of momentum. The rest of the run was GOOD but not great. The end I just gave it the boot and knew it would hold. 60 mph at the blue cones A 70.9, clean run. One of the sessions better times.

After the mess of the morning I realize it was a really fun day. A few friends showed up and my passenger had a blast all 4 runs. She is a co-workers wife and hadnt really ridden in fast cars other than just racing on the highway so it was a completely different kind of speed.

This is a cool picture that Becky took (wife of co-worker)

I look like f'n Mongo next to my car, wtf.

93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R/T93 For This Useful Post:

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sweet I was watching the first video and wondered what the heck you did at the last slalom. I watched the second video and I see you just derped and went the wrong way, heh. Not easy to drive quickly with all the stress you had before racing!
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Not bad, Mongo.

Pretty snorty when the boost comes up...how high you running it, Nathan?
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Looks like fun.

Think if you started lightening up your car you would do better around the cones. CF hood etc. And maybe my brackets when I get them done

Owner Since

Thanks
    I think cf hoods are kinda ugly so will probably keep the stock one forever, plus it fits better than any aftermarket one would.
    Brackets yes!

Kevin I'm only at 12 or 13 psi still.... it's quick man, lots of torque units.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Does it feel like the boost comes on a lot quicker now with the gain cranked up?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Yes it's way better... maybe 50% better with it up. I will mess with it more I just want insta torque again

9. The Following User Says Thank You to R/T93 For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R/T93 View Post
    I think cf hoods are kinda ugly so will probably keep the stock one forever, plus it fits better than any aftermarket one would.
    Brackets yes!

Kevin I'm only at 12 or 13 psi still.... it's quick man, lots of torque units.
    Some heavy metal though. Personally I would never use stock hood if I had the option not to. Having lifted the stock pig you get a feel for how much weight it really is :d But then again I've become kind of a weight reduce nutter :S Can always paint it to match your car btw.

Anyways sorry for derailing.
    Last edited by Ange; 03-09-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Its fine, I would then have to paint the whole car to match! I couldnt get by with a cheap paint job so I would have to work like 30 overtime days to get the paintjob the car deserves, haha.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That and I'm not sure you can have a hood made for the 3S for less than $1200 that actually fits. No hood I've ever seen with the exception of some of the original Cianci hoods before the mexico move fit AT ALL. My Deft hood required hours of work to get it where I wasn't pissed and it still sucked IMO. If I had paid full price I'd really be ticked.

Then, you're stuck in hood prop land, it vibrates at high speed, and discolors and cracks above the rear turbo.

If I was Nate, I too wouldn't ever consider it until someone made me an aluminum hood.