Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil weight

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I run schaeffer's 9000 series 15w 40. After pulling a 30 ft gooseneck enclosed trailer overflowing with tractor and semi clutches commercially for a 100k I discovered schaeffers was the only grease that I couldn't smoke. Before I would have to replace bearings and races every 2 months and hope I didn't catch a wheel on fire or have one f/y off going down the road and pass me. Yes, those things actually happened:.. saved the company thousands in repair bills. After that I will never run anything else. Look up their amp test online. Totally legit.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmist View Post
    You have to find an Amsoil dealer. There is really no store that sells it. Not like Autozone.

Also, I just went to my Walmart in Lubbock, Texas, I could not find and 20w, highest I could find was 15w.
    I have never been anywhere that did not offer 20w? Hmm

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    20W50 oil is way to heavy an oil for an NA engine. If your NA is stock 10W30 is perfect. If you want the best then use synthetic 10W30. 15W40 Is even too heavy. You can get by using 15w40 if it is synthetic during the summer in temps over 70F and if your engine has over 100,000 miles and has some bearing wear. Notice we are talking stock NA. Higher wieght oils do have special use circumstances in engines with high HP loads like over 500HP and up. NA's never get there. There have been studies done that show premature engine wear by using too heavy an oil in cold weather, example dino oil 15w40 in 30F temps. Cold starts in that temp or below with 15w40 dino oil will cause some oil stavation for the first 2-3 minutes. Synthetic oil does flow better when cold and a perfect cold temp synthetic oil would be 0W30 for an NA. Then 10W30 synthetic for the summer. Do not get caught up in using heavier wieght oil simply because race engines use it. They need it the bearing loads are 10-20 times higher than your NA engine.
    This is just like a guy that uses race gas in a stock engine because he thinks it will go faster on race gas. That is a myth.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    My use of heavier oil has nothing to do with race engines. I like to protect my engine and 0w is stupidly too thin.

I've got a friend that used the RECOMMENDED 5w30 in a basically stock NA 99 Mustang. The result was FRIED heads due to oil starvation because the oil became too thin.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    My use of heavier oil has nothing to do with race engines. I like to protect my engine and 0w is stupidly too thin.

I've got a friend that used the RECOMMENDED 5w30 in a basically stock NA 99 Mustang. The result was FRIED heads due to oil starvation because the oil became too thin.
    I doubt that story. There is something else going on that caused that. There are millions of cars doing just fine on 5w30 oil.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    That story is 100% true.

The guy's name is Mark Trump and he is now a local city cop. This happened back around 03.

5w30 just cant stand up to abuse.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    That story is 100% true.

The guy's name is Mark Trump and he is now a local city cop. This happened back around 03.

5w30 just cant stand up to abuse.
    Ok Still sounds like snake oil sales to me. I would have to see it and inspect the damage myself to believe that story. Never heard or saw anything close to that caused by oil being too thin. :Suspect

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    What am I trying to sell? I'm relaying a story exactly as it was given to me by the owner and driver of the car. He had to have the entire top end rebuilt on a car with less than 60k miles on it. The shop that did the heads told him it was due to oil thinning and it wasn't the first time they had saw it. He started running heavier oil and never had an issue again.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    The reason is fried was because it was a FORD MUSTANG. I have ran 5w30 in high performance motors plenty of times. 5w has nothing to do with it. I will put $1000 cash on it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blindmist For This Useful Post:

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    20W50 oil is way to heavy an oil for an NA engine. If your NA is stock 10W30 is perfect. If you want the best then use synthetic 10W30. 15W40 Is even too heavy. You can get by using 15w40 if it is synthetic during the summer in temps over 70F and if your engine has over 100,000 miles and has some bearing wear. Notice we are talking stock NA. Higher wieght oils do have special use circumstances in engines with high HP loads like over 500HP and up. NA's never get there. There have been studies done that show premature engine wear by using too heavy an oil in cold weather, example dino oil 15w40 in 30F temps. Cold starts in that temp or below with 15w40 dino oil will cause some oil stavation for the first 2-3 minutes. Synthetic oil does flow better when cold and a perfect cold temp synthetic oil would be 0W30 for an NA. Then 10W30 synthetic for the summer. Do not get caught up in using heavier wieght oil simply because race engines use it. They need it the bearing loads are 10-20 times higher than your NA engine.
    This is just like a guy that uses race gas in a stock engine because he thinks it will go faster on race gas. That is a myth.
    I use 20w50 in the summer and switched to 10w30 last weekend. Problem solved.