Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Oil weight

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    How the heck did my long posts end up in the middle of the thread?

Max

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The server has time issues occasionally. Great stuff anywho, Max
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax_1 View Post
    How the heck did my long posts end up in the middle of the thread?

Max
    Hi Max, Just a quick thought. Your engine oil temp gauge does not tell you the true max temp your oil is exposed to. Try placing an oil temp probe right at the oil return line off of the turbo to get a true max temp reading of your oil before it goes thru the oil cooler.
    Then check that temp against the thermal limit for your oil brand.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Hi Max, Just a quick thought. Your engine oil temp gauge does not tell you the true max temp your oil is exposed to. Try placing an oil temp probe right at the oil return line off of the turbo to get a true max temp reading of your oil before it goes thru the oil cooler.
    Then check that temp against the thermal limit for your oil brand.
    Yeah, the hottest temps the oil sees are on the walls of the cylinders in the combustion cycle, between the bearings and crank journals and in the turbos. Temps there can potentially hit double what a regular oil temp gauge sees. Run oil that is too thick and 400+f temps at the bearings can melt/wear away the lead babbitt layer on trimetal bearings which is why I run bimetal King bearings, which can withstand 1100f temps (not that they'll EVER get that hot, the engine would be blown way before that but it's a safety margin). That's one of the other reasons I like Red Line and Motul 300V in these cars, esters are MUCH more resistant to high temps and thermal degradation/coking than even PAO (PolyAlphaOlefin) synthetics and unquestionably better than dino oils at resisting high temps. With no leaks, and good compression, these oils burn very little even in the cylinders and they don't show coking.

Max
    Last edited by bluemax_1; 10-19-2010 at 12:12 AM.

Rice Patrol verified Feedback Score 0 Mean Green's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Rotella is used in tractor trailers and many other heavy pieces of machinery and with Delvac. Considering the temps that Diesel's get to, I would definitely be willing to put my money on Rotella considering the amount of abuse those engines see on a daily basis. Delvac and Rotella where specifically designed to handle very high heat situation for obvious reasons otherwise they would not be certified to run in machinery.

No, our cars are not "Heavy Machinery" but our cars oil temps do not get as hot and do not run hot continually through an 8 hour work day. The equipment that does last for many more hours than even what our cars where designed for run it and they last YEARS without mechanical / internal engine failures. I cannot say the same for any other conventional motor oil.

Owner Since

Thanks
    for you guys who are going to send your used oil to blackstone labs i suggest you put the blackstone container in a box to mail it. i took a sample to our local post office in blackstones container and was asked what it was. i told the clerk it was a used oil sample and you would of thougth it was a aids sample or neucler waste. i had to put it in a box to ship it. blackstone labs has a self addressed label and you have it in 2 bottles but it still scared the postal clerk.

you know you like it Not Verified Feedback Score 0 Chris GTO TT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Blackstone has a letter on their website that explains that their packaging is USPS approved. I always ship it without extra packaging and never have an issue.

Owner Since

Thanks
    With all the folks scared about terrorist attacks and crap these days, it's potentially easier to just put the bottles in a box. It really varies from post office to post office. Even before this crap some post offices still didn't quite get that used motor oil is harmless, and when you tried to explain WHY you were shipping a small bottle of used motor oil, you'd get a look I'd expect for explaining why I'd stick my head in a pool of acid. Only nutty automotive enthusiasts like us are even aware of the existence of used oil analysis.

Max

the BOSS of jellow supporter Feedback Score 0 a2j's Avatar
    Owner Since
    May 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmist View Post
    The reason is fried was because it was a FORD MUSTANG.
    lol Amen

in my non-sports cars (Acura TL, Civic EX) I use Mobil1 0W30 Synthetic oil. Works great, especially during the winter when its 0-10 F outside in the morning.
    in my VR4 I use 20W50 Castrol and 10W40 (wanna switch to 5W40) during cold winter days. non Synthetic. change every 2-3K miles

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Subscribed for reference.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345