Thread: Job hiring discrimination

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks

Job hiring discrimination

My brother has been out of work since May 09. He was laid off and just hasn't been able to find equal paying job. Hell most of the jobs found were paying LESS than he made on unemployment.

He got a pamphlet about a job hiring expo held by a Careerlink (a division of UC) at a local community college for a mine worker. He put together his resume and got all the info they asked for on the pamphlet and drove an hour, and sat there for 3 hours, only to find out they wouldn't even take his resume.

Why wouldn't they take it you ask? Because he has only worked 20 of the last 36 months, instead of their "required" 24 of the last 36.

How is this even allowed? They won't hire him, or even look at his resume because he has been out of work?

I don't even know who to call to register a complaint. This has to be illegal.

I'm just so aggrivated at the whole situation for him.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have run into the same exact problem here in GA.

Chris said ninjas don't fall down.
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    Don't know how closely you have been following issues about unemployment, but two major topics were covered over the summer in the news. #1--companies only hiring folks who are ALREADY working...mindset being that if you are unemployed, it was probably your own fault and that you are not worth employing. #2--MANY, MANY companies advertising jobs that DON'T exist or don't have openings....

It's a bitch, that's for certain. I hope he finds something soon. I, too, know of several folks who are ready, able and willing to accept a job, but no jobs are there.....or they are overlooked for 'various' reasons.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Only way to change this is to file a lawsuit. But you will have to carry the ball for him as he will not be able to cover the cost of the lawsuit. Consult an attorney.
    A discrimination case like this can and will take up to 10 years to settle in court. Will cost over $15,000. But if he wins he can get back pay to the date of the interview,etc.
    Oh and they will appeal it so you have to cover that cost as well and another 4 years or so.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Part of the problem, is like you said, most of the jobs he found are less paying than what he was making on unemployment. A lot of people have been abusing the system and just living off that wage.(no idea if your brother was doing so, but you said he found jobs that pay less) So companies probably choose to not hire people that fit into that category.

I don't feel too bad for those that are unemployed around here because I know there always hiring at my job, and plenty of other places. But if your not putting money in your pocket at all after your benefits run out, that $9 an hour job sounds a lot better now.

Dad verified
    Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

Thanks
    I am assuming their logic is by him not having a job for at least 24 out of the last 36 months, that he would be at high risk of going back on unemployment which raises their unemployment insurance rates. With today's economy, and businesses struggling, they cannot afford to take that risk. Your brother may be an exception to the rule, but in most cases, this is a good way to weed out those who do not work hard and like to sit back and collect unemployment.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Well when he was laid off and I was fired from my job a week later we both had the mindset we were going to "enjoy a summer vacation" then go to look for work. He applied for more jobs than I did and I got work in January. He's had interviews and second interviews, then nothing comes of it. He wants to work. He's tired of not making enough money on unemployment and struggling.