Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTH is wrong with my daily?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 HLxDrummer's Avatar
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks

WTH is wrong with my daily?

Alright guys, who can figure this out? 2007 Forester with 70K on it. Was running great until a few weeks ago when it started missing at idle (will run smooth, then miss once or twice then be smooth again) and sputters at low rpm under load. High RPM and WOT it is fine. Had a CEL for cylinder 4 misfire.

Hooked up the logger: IAT, TPS, MAF, coolant temp sensor, idle switch all seem to be working fine. Rear O2 was stuck at 0.85 at idle. If I stabbed the throttle it would cycle. I couldn't read the front O2 for some reason.

Already changed plugs and wires. Also swapped coil packs with a known good condition one.

Any ideas? Here are mine:

Injector: Only thing left I can think of that explains only having a problem on cylinder 4. Considering switching this injector to another cylinder to see if the code moves. Just need to buy new seals.

EGR: If stuck open, it could explain the rich O2 at idle, but I've heard it's rare to get stuck open, and it doesn't explain the cylinder 4 misfire. Considering swapping for the one off my wife's car.

Dirty throttle body: Heard it might cause this problem.

O2 Sensor: Not sure if this is the problem or if it is reading strange because there is another issue.

I would be grateful for any ideas. Don't particularly feel like throwing parts at the car/spending $100 on new gaskets to swap parts between this car and my wife's if I can help it lol

www.chromedecu.org verified
    Feedback Score 4 (100%) Jesters Deadd's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I would guess injector.
    I would pull it and clean it.
    I have a friend that uses a sonic cleaner on injs and it has woked well for him.
    www.Chromedecu.org
    Plug and Play Flash Ecus, why use a harness when you can just Plug and Play?!
    2 year Warranty on all ECUs.
    A donation of every Plug and Play Flash Ecu sale goes to Greg for more software goodness.
    1999 Flashed Wide body 3000GT VR4, (Its Cianci's prototype car, but don't worry I fixed that.)
    How To Contact Me:
    eMail: apape10@yahoo.com
    3SI: Jesters Deadd
    www.Chromedecu.org

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Front O2 is most likely an air/fuel sensor, (wideband) generic logger probably doesn't know what to do with the signal. Rear O2 is supposed to be pretty steady providing the catalyst is working properly, and has good oxygen storage. If it goes into closed loop, and the fuel trims are in line, I wouldn't worry about a fuel control issue.

Injector or injector connection could definitely be a possibility, those motors are also well known for the valve guides moving around causing misfires.

Have you checked the valve adjustment?

Forum User Feedback Score 0 box's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Unplug the alternator and then start it up, blown/partially blown alternator diodes causing an idle/low load engine miss (sometimes accompanied by cam/crank sensor codes) is fairly common on Subarus. Also check the multi-plugs for the engine harness for poor connection/corrosion.

You should see an injector fault on the spark plugs.
    Last edited by box; 10-13-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Have you done a compression check? My brother's legacy gt really liked eating valves and he had about your same mileage.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful. Didn't know the rear O2 should be steady or the common Suby issues. I tried searching my hardest but couldn't find anything great so thanks for that.

I haven't checked compression. I thought about it but figured with low mileage and good high rpm performance that everything would be ok internally. I would check on that, though. I'm not sure how to check valve adjustment but I'll look into that, as well.

My wife's legacy engine blew it looks like from a cracked valve guide and chewing through the oil. My dad just replaced a Suby engine in his friends car, too. Making me a little nervous!

Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    So switching the injectors didn't help. I do have two questions. Would a compression test or leak down be better? Compression sounds easier but not sure if it will pick up all issues the leak down would. Also, should I unplug the alternator at the actual plug with multiple small gauge wires? Or at one of the terminals?

Thanks!

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    A compression test will tell you that you have a bad cylinder. A leakdown will narrow the prob further.

What's wrong with the alternator?

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just pulling the connector at the alternator will disable it.

A compression test may pick out things that wouldn't show on a leakdown.

I'm not confident either would find your issue due to it's intermittent nature.

Adjusting the valves is a needed maintenance item that I would do first just to rule it out. A tight valve can cause compression and leakdown issues anyway, and possibly send you in the wrong direction if not caught.

If the valve guides are moving around, there's about a 99% chance it's the exhaust guides. You can visually check their position by dropping the exhaust and looking up the ports.

Real Performance Automotive (541)816-4500 www.FB.com/RealPerformanceAuto

Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
    A compression test will tell you that you have a bad cylinder. A leakdown will narrow the prob further.

What's wrong with the alternator?
    Ok that's awesome. I'll start go with the compression test first just to see if there is anything going on.

The reason I was looking at the alternator is because box mentioned it above. Figured it is easy enough to unplug it and rule that out.

Quote Originally Posted by RealMcCoy View Post
    Just pulling the connector at the alternator will disable it.

A compression test may pick out things that wouldn't show on a leakdown.

I'm not confident either would find your issue due to it's intermittent nature.

Adjusting the valves is a needed maintenance item that I would do first just to rule it out. A tight valve can cause compression and leakdown issues anyway, and possibly send you in the wrong direction if not caught.

If the valve guides are moving around, there's about a 99% chance it's the exhaust guides. You can visually check their position by dropping the exhaust and looking up the ports.
    So the next thing you would do would be to adjust the valves? I was going to try to do that later on my list since it seems like a more involved process. I wasn't aware that was a maintenance item. I will look into it a little more and see what all I need to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast