Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single line brake hose per wheel?

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Single line brake hose per wheel?

As you know stock is 2 brake hoses per wheel that connects to those short hardlines that are attached to the stock struts. With coilovers I don't have that bracket. My hardlines are attached to the coilovers with straps. Inspection complained on this because when the wheel turns that hardline rubs and gets worn over time. So thats why I want a single line per wheel..

So is there any vendor that sells brakelines that are 1 hose per wheel?
    Last edited by Ange; 06-28-2015 at 05:19 AM.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Beef6's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    STM was going to make these for this exact reason but have gotten out of the 3s game it seems. I needed then for the same reason, KSports don't have a bracket to mount the hardline to. I ended up using work clamps and its secure but still not a perfect solution.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    This is one of those things you could possibly have made at a hydraulic hose shop.

Another option would be to find parts made for another car that have the proper fittings.

And on STM they are "out of the 3s game", but they still do sell some 3s related parts. I was actually just on their site last night looking at things.

EDIT: On finding parts for another car I swear for some reason I remember someone mentioned 240 brake lines. I could be wrong, but it could be worth looking into.
    Last edited by stealthee; 06-28-2015 at 11:59 AM.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Okay, I was doing some looking for my own sake on another thought and realized I was definitely wrong in saying 240 brake lines would work. But what I did find is that the 240 clutch line might be an option.

If you look the one end has the fitting that can go into the stock bracket in the fender well and the opposite end is a straight fitting. From what info I can find the thread size and pitch should be the same at M10 x 1.0. The main thing you would have to be careful about is length, especially on the front.

The reason I was looking at the line myself is for my own clutch line to hook directly to the slave, instead of using the janky adapter line I installed. If I could find one local to try out for my clutch line it wouldn't be much effort to try it in the calipers. If it works I might even be interested in it, even though I have the studs on my coilovers to mount the line bracket.

EDIT: Looks like OEM style part number for this line is Beck Arnley 073-0218. According to specs it is 230mm long which is just barely over 9". Unfortunately it doesn't look any of the local auto stores has that part on hand for me to try out. I might talk to my cousin to see if he can talk to a friend of his that is into 240's to see if he has a clutch line lying around around to see if I could borrow it for test fitting.
    Last edited by stealthee; 06-28-2015 at 06:53 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0 MDoe8's Avatar
    Owner Since
    x

Thanks
    You can just make a bracket for them somehow. If it is strapped down now, you can make a bracket in the same spot.
    Project LS3S - '94 Stealth
    - Build thread on 3si http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/mdoe8s-n...72/?highlight=

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Another OEM style line PN I found is BrakeBest 70696. It shows to be 10.25". It's not in stock anywhere either though. LOL

I just ran out and took a few quick measurements. It looks like when the wheels are straight you would need approximately 8" hose. When turned to full lock that grows to about 9" so a 10.25" hose should give you plenty of slack. Please note this was done on a NA so it might differ for TT brakes.

I haven't checked the rears yet to see how this would fare for them. The good thing about this is if it is shown to be a viable option there are vendors that sell the 240 clutch line in stainless for $25 and even less. It will probably firm up the brake pedal greatly just from shortening the line, and then you would have stainless lines too. On top of that you can get rid of the ugly bracket.

And Mike to answer your question there is a bracket already, but there is no point to attach to bracket to coilovers unless you have Megan Racing coilovers.

EDIT: Another PN that can be checked is Dorman H38119. RockAuto actually has it for $5.77. I'm tempted just to buy it from them since I already have some other stuff in my cart. If it proves to work for the brake lines then we know which way to start looking. If it works for my clutch line then I am set there. If it works for neither then I am out $6 and learned a little something in the process.
    Last edited by stealthee; 06-28-2015 at 07:59 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Boomer3000's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Or take stock lines to a hydrolic place and get the lines custom made. Would probably be cheap and less effort.
    1991 Stealth RT/TT
    Mods- Greddy Type S and a spun bearing.

[Yesterday 11:43 PM] R/T93 : Im reading hulk comics on Youtube
    [Yesterday 11:45 PM] R/T93 : he has to fight the silver surfer hand to hand...
    OhioSpyderman:why do you have to pee on my wheaties Dave?

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer3000 View Post
    Or take stock lines to a hydrolic place and get the lines custom made. Would probably be cheap and less effort.
    Having worked for a hydraulic place and knowing the markups they have I would say it would probably be less effort to buy the ready made lines if this is shown to be the same. Also, a lot of hydraulic shops don't carry very much in the metric side of things, since 99% of their business is SAE sizing.

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Hydro shop will kill your wallet.

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Boomer3000's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I didn't seem to have bad luck when I looked into a local place, but I also do all their lift work so maybe a little price cut involved there. I'll have to talk with them again and see what an exact price would be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast