Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EZ's FWD TT Conversion Question Thread

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

EZ's FWD TT Conversion Question Thread

Hello 3SGTO,

I have 95' SL N/A. Engine is all caught up on maintenance along, with new oil and water pump. Few other things were replaced as they were brought up by the mechanic. Transmission for the most part is rebuilt due to an unfortunate event while in the body shop, but that brings up bad feelings and memories so I'll leave that as that for now.

This is a surprise for my wife, after she give's birth to our 4th child. My cover up for this project is getting the VSS replaced which it needs badly. After C7's widebody install, new paint, and new wheels and rubber, I don't want smoke choking up a good looking car ha ha.

Parts I have right now:

*9B Turbos no shaft play w/ wastegate accuators & oil lines. I also have 16T wheels w/ machined housings incase I plan on upgrading, but I'm almost 99.9% positive that will not happen.
    *Dual Core FMIC (2 hot in/1 cold in) custom piping will be need to be made.
    *Exhaust manifolds from VR4.
    *O2 housing from VR4.
    *Precats from VR4.
    *Tanabe downpipe.
    *Oil housing from a VR4.
    *Oil cooler w/ stainless lines.
    *Water housing from VR4.
    *360cc injectors.
    *Denso fuel pump.
    *Injector resistor pack from VR4.
    *Front mount bracket.
    *MAFT w/ GM MAF.
    *Aftermarket radiator w/ hoses.
    *Joint on back of engine block.
    *DSM BOV.
    *EGR block off plates.
    *Modified N/A oil pan from member here on it's way.

Electronics:
    *BlackStealth's LCDBC is on it's way from the man himself w/ oil pressure transducer & MAC boost solenoid valve from ebay coming as well. I got the old school enclosed version LCDBC.
    *Chrome ECU once I fugure out which one I need
    *Innovate LC2 MTX EGT Gauge: Will order soon
    *Innovate LC2 MTX WBO2: Will order soon
    *Apexi SAFC 2: Will order soon

Needing to get:
    *All the gaskets still preferably from a supporting vendor

*I'd like to save money where I can on items not needed, but longevity and the health of the car is always priority since I do not want my wife ever stranded on the side of the road. So with that in mind...

Question #1:
    I plan to put the gauges in stock location, unless gettting a 3 gauge A pillar pod would be the cheaper route to go when labor is factored in. Do you think 2 EGT gauges are needed for a simple 9b setup?

Question #2:
    Really debating going 5 speed AWD transmission, or keeping my stock N/A transmission. Car is not a race car, nor will it be raced, or anything related to that. It is my wife's car which she DD's to work and back in. But I do know she's enjoys the occasional cruise and a little speed when it's safe to. If I do go this route, I will get a LSD to go along with it. If I stay with the stock N/A transmission should I get an LSD as well? I understand the planetary and VCD will need to be welded, and I saved the thread that explains that process. But I'm sure any shop with know how will know how to eliminate the the rear from an AWD. Hopefully at least.

Also I know that I will need the passenger side halfshaft/axle, and center input shaft/axle, and matching transmission mount if I go 5 speed AWD.

Question #3:
    Stage 2 or Stage 3 clutch kit for this 9b setup? Thinking a stage 2 should be good enough right?

Question #4:
    Solid engine mounts always a good idea? Gonna offer a local guy $80 for the set, and paint them up nicely.

Quesiton #5:
    Anybody here use or seen reviews on Innovate's Pocketlogger?

Keeping the stock 10:1.

I always appreciate honesty and solid helpful advice. Thanks for your time. I'm sure there will be more question to ask as I continue to read, and read, and read, and need information cleared up.

RTBOOST verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

EZ's FWD TT Conversion Question Thread

For #4, I'd do polyurethane engine mounts, otherwise it's a harsher drive with the solids. If you're set on solids, then I'd only do the side ones & keep the roll stoppers poly.
    '90 Toyota Celica GT Liftback..........................(X) (daily driver)
    '73 Dodge Challenger 340...............................(X)
    '91 Firestorm Red Stealth R/T TT.....................(X)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Street_Chally73 For This Useful Post:

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I got all of them replaced with OEM ones when a majority of the engine work was being done. Appreciate the reply. Thank you.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Stay away from a OBX LSD. Quaife LSD is the only one I know of that's worth a shit.

I'll try and answer more questions when I have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    1. EGT on a 9b setup? Why?

2. FWD MTX is by far the very weakest of the 3/s transmission choices. They are made of glass. FWD ATX's are far superior. In your case, I wouldn't even bat an eye and go directly to the 5-speed AWD & mod it.

4. OEM was a good choice. If you only have to replace every 10 years, who cares? I'll take the smoother ride.

5. Since you're keeping it 10:1, I'd say that 8psi is where you should keep it (max). IIRC, this is what has worked well historically on 10:1 builds, and should be fairly reliable.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    1. EGT on a 9b setup? Why?

2. FWD MTX is by far the very weakest of the 3/s transmission choices. They are made of glass. FWD ATX's are far superior. In your case, I wouldn't even bat an eye and go directly to the 5-speed AWD & mod it.

4. OEM was a good choice. If you only have to replace every 10 years, who cares? I'll take the smoother ride.

5. Since you're keeping it 10:1, I'd say that 8psi is where you should keep it (max). IIRC, this is what has worked well historically on 10:1 builds, and should be fairly reliable.
    I was just going off the recommendations from the 2 major threads I've been reading. 1 of them by a member on another board who goes by Iceman, and then Leland from 3sx. Leland even recommended 2 EGT's.

I'm looking for a 5 speed AWD actually. I asked another member what he got his for, so I know a good starting point to go off of. Even though he got a hell of a deal.

OEM it will stay then ha ha. I didn't know solid mounts affected ride quality that much. I contacted a local guy yesterday, and he told me $75 for the set. Looks like I'm going to pass.

Yes I don't want to get out of control on boost. Something easy, and simple to maintain. I don't need my wife getting all crazy about more boost lol!

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    6-8lbs is lots of fun on 10:1

I had pretty good luck with my 5 speed FWD trans. I ran it about 2 years on 8psi and never broke it.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    6-8lbs is lots of fun on 10:1

I had pretty good luck with my 5 speed FWD trans. I ran it about 2 years on 8psi and never broke it.
    ask brian how that same trans has worked out for him.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Question #1:

I found a cali spec 94' VR4 TT wiring harness. Will that work? I know most people plug 2 O2 bungs, and only run 2.

Question #2:
    What about a JDM engine harness from a 94'-97' GTO VR4?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Okay did some digging around and came up with the following information:

There is a sticker under the hood on the passenger side that will say wether it's a Cali Spec or Fed Spec car.
    *94'-95' Fed Spec VR4's had only 2 O2 sensors.
    *94'-95' Cali Spec VR4's had 4 O2 sensors.
    *96' and on is when all VR4's got 4 O2 sensors.
    *Lastly there is a silver vehicle code plate on the driver's side firewall. If the last two digits of the model number are "2D" then its Fed Spec. If the last two are "7D" its Cali Spec.

EDIT: I just realized this might not have nothing to do with my situation, but I'm learning, and makes me further want to find a 94'-95' vr4 fed spec harness!
    Last edited by Ezskanken; 06-11-2015 at 09:58 AM.