Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexan Headlight Cleaning + Paint

Part of the "Flipped Your Car Club" verified Feedback Score 0 milkshakes's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lexan Headlight Cleaning + Paint

Anyone do this for some spare change?

I need a pair cleaned and painted(white to black,) was wondering if anyone would be willing to do this for a fee? ^^ PM me!
    1992 Stealth RT/TT
    Condition: Totaled(In Process of Rebuild.)

XLR8TOR Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Wizard Products make something called "Finish Cut" that is for the final rub out on a finish.

Check out their site and their products are awesome like "Shine Master" and "Mist & Shine".

http://www.wizardsproducts.com/

Bottom Line: "Finish Cut" will make any fogged plastic shine like new and will do the same for any dull or old finish.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The paint part isn't going to be something people are willing to do. Cleaning them is easy, IMO.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Member verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) dbest671's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    ^^ what he said

Cleaning them is easy now that you can pick up a headlight restorer kit almost anywhere... painting is a PITA. On lexan you would have to paint the outside. If you wanted to strip the factory paint off the inside of lexan and paint them correctly, it would probably be costly. It would *almost* be more cost efficient to pick a set of glass headlights and have the insert painted.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Painting is essentially out of the question. The paint on lexans is on the INSIDE of the light. Thats why robo modding lexans is not a viable option either.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Part of the "Flipped Your Car Club" verified Feedback Score 0 milkshakes's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm confused a bit, my understanding is that the lexan headlights, the front piece pops off, and the paint is on the front piece, right? O.o

Why would it be so difficult to repaint that part? I feel like I'm missing something here, as I haven't even tried to pop apart these headlights.

I really don't want to go around trying to find someone that wants a pair of white headlights for a pair of black ones.. Since white clashes with orange horrendously.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The paint is on the inside of the plastic. It's a royal pita to make it look even halfway decent. Trade someone.

Member verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) dbest671's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Take a piece of plastic and paint it. Now try to get the paint off without damaging the plastic. I am sure it's not easy to take paint off plastic, now imagine that paint being baked for 10+ years. You can't just paint over it, unless you want to paint the outside of the lexan lens. I have seem some do that, and unless you are really really good, it kind of looks like crap.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The paint is on the lexan itself on the inside. There is no repainting it without it looking horrible.

Your best bet is to sell the lexans and buy some glass headlights. On the glass headlights its the insert that is painted.

[shameless plug]I just so happen to have some glass Stealth lights too. [/shameles plug]

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    The paint is on the lexan itself on the inside. There is no repainting it without it looking horrible.

Your best bet is to sell the lexans and buy some glass headlights. On the glass headlights its the insert that is painted.

[shameless plug]I just so happen to have some glass Stealth lights too. [/shameles plug]
    The problem there lies the fact that I need 3000GT lights. It's a 3000GT bumper/hood. :'(

I'm trying to find someone that would be willing to trade. Hard to find someone that wants white over black, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast