Thread: Finally finished with new brakes/rotors all around

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Finally finished with new brakes/rotors all around

Man, I didn't expect it to take me so long to finish it all (unforeseen issues...) but I think I learned my lesson about trying to save a few bucks here and there. The rotors I purchased from ClearlyAuto (the fronts anyway) had a lip I had to have machined out for them to even fit as they should, but once that was finished, they fit just fine. The rears... I was trying to solve an issue with my emergency brake which I'm still not sure whether it's fixed or not... my car doesn't hold in reverse, but holds forward just fine.

I thought my shoes were worn out, but once I got the rotor off, I could see they looked like new practically (aside from the massive amounts of dust.) I had a dustshield that was scrubbing on the back left making a squeal and on the back passenger side, I had a problem trying to adjust the shoes but finally managed to get it about right, I believe.

The passenger front wheel was scrubbing on the brake pad even with the caliper completely compressed. I really didn't understand it, but I got it down to where it was just barely scuffing. It seems to be alright for now, I tried to bed my brakes in good and so far all seems good! I'll be able to tell in a few days.

Now the sad part is, both of my front tires are wiggling from left to right a bit (up and down is solid.) That would be a bad ball joint right? or tie rod? The tie rod seemed alright, but it seemed as though the axle had a bit of wiggle to it.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    If you are unsure by feel then you need to have someone wiggle the tire while you look underneath. It could be the wheel bearing that is bad.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ball joints could be the cuplrit. i was convinced it was my wheel bearings...but they turned out to be 100% fine. lower ball joints is what i would check.