Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: New year, new setup. Built 6G74 and Billet 20Ts

  1. #61
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

    Location
    Royersford, PA
    Posts
    3,814
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,059
    Thanked 442 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by murphys_law View Post
    Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Sorry, but I lol'd at your username in a build thread that's gone in an undesired direction...

    Quote Originally Posted by Uniuno View Post
    If anyone has, you have. I applaud your resolve to keep going with it.
    Just gotta enjoy the company of everyone at NG and see all the neat cars to get you hyped up again. Gonna tear it apart before NG?
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝
    - 24

  2. #62
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    Sorry to hear about the issues

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  3. #63
    At least my jackstands are reliable Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    Rochester Hills, Mi
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    Sorry, but I lol'd at your username in a build thread that's gone in an undesired direction...



    Just gotta enjoy the company of everyone at NG and see all the neat cars to get you hyped up again. Gonna tear it apart before NG?
    I actually laughed when I saw his username had commented in the thread too. The irony..

    I'm looking forward to hanging out with a bunch of people that can feel my pain lol I'm hoping that it will relight the fire and motivate me to tear back into it when I get home.

    Instead of wasting any more time on my car I'm going to install the EWG on Char's WRX. Right now it is stuck at wastegate pressure after installing a VF-52. I'm hoping I can run the events that I signed up for in her car. Might be doing some mail tunes with the tuner through the week. So it should be fun anyway.

    95 Base 3k: 6G74/TT/AWD conversion

  4. #64
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

    Location
    Royersford, PA
    Posts
    3,814
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,059
    Thanked 442 Times in 317 Posts
    Glad to hear you have a backup plan!

  5. #65
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Owner Since
    2007

    Location
    Sundsvall, Sweden
    Posts
    928
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 119 Times in 77 Posts
    Sad to hear about the engine problems. Your threads are always inspiring to follow so I hope it's nothing major!

  6. #66
    At least my jackstands are reliable Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    Rochester Hills, Mi
    Posts
    554
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
    I forgot I never updated this. Last year was a rough year for cars.

    I took my car to a fellow 3S enthusiast's house to make room for other activities in my own garage. It is still sitting there while I work on my Stealth. When I dropped it off it wasn't smoking as much. I'm tempted to try throwing in some 20-50 oil and see what it does.



    Last I reported I had decided to take my GF's 08 WRX to NG. Thankfully, we towed it there. While we were there we drove it around a bit and did some mail tuning. Couldn't seem to get the boost where we wanted it. We thought it was due to the wastegate setup. I put on an external wastegate that should have cured those issues. It didn't. We decided to run it at wastegate pressure (14 PSI) to prevent overboosting. The tuner told us it was safe at that level.

    We took it to the drag strip at NG, she ran first, didn't like her launch so she didn't flog it the rest of the way down the track. I took a turn with it, I had a decent, but not great launch, and ended up running a 14.2 at like 98 or something. When I got back to the pits the engine was making a slight tapping sound. All too familiar with that noise, I went back to the hotel with my truck and got the trailer.

    I was finally able to tear into it a couple months later. The #2 rod bearing had spun. The mains looked great, and so did the rest of the rods. I took the rods and the crank to the machine shop, they resized the rods and turned the rod journals and just polished the mains. They gave me the correct clevite bearings to make up the difference for what material they removed.



    I left the pistons in the block halves, they had good compression and we weren't upgrading them so there was no reason to remove them.

    I cleaned the hell out of the block, oil pump, lines, etc.



    Goofy thing, for those unfamiliar (as was I) with horizontally opposed engines, you install the con-rods on the crank before putting the crank into the block.


    I learned a lot about how these things go together. It really made me miss the simplicity of the 6G engines! It has been running now for over 4000 miles. It has even made a couple ~400 mile trips. Oil pressure is holding strong. I removed the EWG setup and have been running it only at 8 psi. We won't be doing anything else to it until she passes the Bar exam.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering