Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any benefit to carpet padding? Sound absorption wise?

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Any benefit to carpet padding? Sound absorption wise?

I've already installed sound dampening materials (a dynamat knock off) throughout the whole car and next week I'll be ready to put my carpet back on, but I wanted to know if there is any benefit to putting carpet padding below the carpet.

I just pulled some carpet from my home (2 months old carpet), and was about to throw out the padding before I realize maybe I can use it in my car.

Based on what I've seen on the car, there are no leaks, so I dont have a reason to believe the carpet or padding would get wet.

Would the carpet padding help absorbing some of the road noise?

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Read here:

Since you have sound deadened read about Vinyl/Nitrile Closed Cell Foam and Mass Loaded Vinyl.

Hope fully you didn't do and cover all your sheet metal with your sound deadener, all you did is add allot of extra weight be doing so.

Hope this info. helps

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I did read the website before, and listened to the before and after audio files, I duplicated his examples, I covered about 75% of areas and noticed the reduction in vibrations (and thus sound). My question is specifically whether this padding is a waste or not.

My car will never see a track, and is being built for comfort, so I have no problem adding 20 pounds do the car.

Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I saw what you where asking specifically after I posted. I would help to what degree I can only guess. If the weight is not a concern and the padding is odor free, I say go for it. Report back how it works.

I remember an older car I removed the carpet to see that there was carpet lie padding already installed.

Good luck, can't wait to learn how it went for you.

Owner Since
    April 11, 2008

Thanks
    If you're going to throw it out anyways, that'd be far more wasteful than not trying before throwing it out.
    Anything to lose other than time?

If you dont mind weight it can help but honestly my car has all the padding removed, loud exhaust.
    I run 3 amplifiers two 400 watt rms 4 channels and a decent sub amp (not sure the wattage, god I need to drive more) and for the life of me at more than 1/4 volume I cant hear anything but music.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yes it will help sound deadening by absorbing some waves still transmitted from the panels from road noise and the likes but more so it will absorb some reflecting waves up front from the speakers.
    "Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
    DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX SILK DOME TWEETERS X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1 ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4 AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
    ECLPISE 10" TITANIUM (SUBSONICS) X2 SW9102
    PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES (INFRASONICS) X2 DC SERVOS http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/cyclone.htm
    FUSION 7 COLOUR L.E.D KITS X4 2 MODIFIED. Intergrated lighting through out install.
    1994-MITSUBISHI-GTO-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-4WS-FULLY OPTIONED-SERIOUSLY being MODIFIED

I had to add to this thread. I covered the entire interior (still have the doors to go) with sound deadner from second skin. The aluminum backed stuff is just to prevent vibrations, and since I have a very loud and low-toned exhaust, it has already helped out. I have no interior installed from in the back at all, including no back seat. Without the deadner, the car was deafening to drive in. With it, is is bearable, but still loud, and I think adding to the doors will help a lot, as they vibrate immensely. It will be much better once I put some interior back in.

I will also be installing the black mat padding they sell (closed cell, and I forgot the name). This is supposed to help with the road noise, which I hear a lot in my car as well. Between both, I am adding a consderable amount of weight, but I will also be replacing pieces of the car with lightweight material over time. My goal to build my car into a very fast (but not a drag queen), ultra luxury sports car. So I don't mind the extra weight.

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    I got 100sq feet of sound deadening. In all it weighs 35 pounds. Not what I would call a huge increase in weight. I'll counter act that by getting rid of the front seats. I would much rather have a quiet car inside than power seats anyway. Hell, you counteract that with lighter wheels.
    Last edited by Polygon; 11-01-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I got 100sq feet of sound deadening. In all it weighs 35 pounds. Not what I would call a huge increase in weight. I'll counter act that by getting rid of the front seats. I would much rather have a quite car inside than power seats anyway. Hell, you counteract that with lighter wheels.
    And lighter wheels are a better weight reduction investment, as you are reducing mass from the rotating assemblies.