Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Pushing Mark's VR-4 w/ BM Billet 19T's - 600AWTQ and Counting!

  1. #1
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts

    Thumbs up Pushing Mark's VR-4 w/ BM Billet 19T's - 600AWTQ and Counting!

    After a long break from progress, Mark "DuTTch" and I are finally at it again this year! We have our eyes on the prize and feel more prepared now than we did a few years ago. Improvements have been made, and completely re-tuning his AEM has been going very well. Depending on how things play out, some upcoming possibilities include the NG and MOD (of course).


    "Twin Turbo Tuesday - Team Green VR-4's!"


    Peak view w/ boost, EGT, and FPr up top

    Initial tuning results: 600AWTQ VD SAE (+20 U/C)! Awesome potential
    Link to old VD plot << click to view due to image limit per post

    "Suspected culprits behind the dramatic drop are leaks, IAT's, and increased engine noise, so I will be revisiting my knock cal/settings. Also, I will be performing multiple, proper pressure-tests after completely reworking things underhood with a vacuum block, new silicone lines, heat control, and partial wire tuck. THEN I will push her again and harder! Eyes on the prize this year... "

    As I say, "[Always] expect the unexpected." I have a few kinks to iron out underhood, but we are definitely back on track and off to a great start!

    Here are a few additional pictures for those that do not know the DuTTch Crunch:


    "Mark's crazy VR-4 gettin' her drink on today with Propel Fuels' Pump-E85; 600whp here we come!"


    "New 265mm Toyo R1R's wrapped around the Saleens and over the Stoptech BBK!"


    "The '99 is just a little jealous lol."


    "Dat a$$!"


    An "in progress" picture as I tidy up


    "Cusco OCC w/ KV and pulled to vacuum

    (This was supposedly removed from a GT-R lol)"

    A few preview clips for the meantime being:
    Preview: Cold Start with FIC1600's and AEM EMS S2 on Pump-E85 <<

    Preview: Third Gear Test with Billet 19T's @22psi <<

    More updates to come! =]

    -ALan

    //edit//

    April 21 update:
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan View Post
    I was able to put in some work today, so here are a few updates:


    "Vacuum block is in play! I still have much to do underhood hehe."

    The same BC setting resulted in a few more lbs:
    Link to old VD plot << click to view
    "Making progress at 524AWHP//615AWTQ VD SAE (+25//30 U/C). IAT's are still ridiculous, so that will be my next focus. If underhood heat control does not yield enough, then we may consider upgrading to an ETS IC core. Next culprit would then be the turbos."

    Preview: Billet 19T's @31psi on Pump-E85 and AEM EMS S2 <<
    April 28 update:
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan View Post


    "More progress! 538AWHP//602AWTQ VD SAE (+21//23 U/C) @28psi! The curve has improved noticeably after swapping-in the Panda's old coilpack that tested slightly better - primaries anyway.

    AEM adjustments were made now that I am revving her out more along with minor things underhood (wrap, shields, etc.) I still have more testing/diag to get out of the way. More to come!"
    April 28 update continued:
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan View Post
    *whew* warm day in the 80's today. Fortunately, I had some shade from our tree after yard work haha.


    "Multiple 35psi pressure-tests ("BLT") on HOT motor."


    "I guess we literally "blew the welds on the intake" LOL!!!! FFS"


    "I also re-confirmed that the timing sync was straight just to be safe."

    //edit//


    "I figured that this would be brought up, so I tried again without the bolt/hole soaked."
    May 5th update:
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan View Post
    I will be getting the ball rolling again today, so hopefully some updates will be available this week. In the meantime, here is a video of the progress this year; I included coverage of the plenum leak (near end) for those that are especially curious about that.

    keywords: TurboBob, turbo, bob, TB, BoostMore, Boost, More, BM, dyno, HP, power, billet, 19T, HL, AEM, E85
    Last edited by bboyalan; 07-20-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Updates!
    3/S Street Tuner San Diego's Panda VR-4 v.3 w/ 38psi (peak) on E85+Meth | 3094 lbs as of 7/2/19

    '92 VR-4 - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, suspension, and corner balancing | '10 EVO X SE | '04 EVO VIII SSL
    4/1/21 - "retuned" est. 570AWHP VD SAE (580 U/C | second gear | 88°F) holding ~30psi (more boost & less timing still... hehe)
    On the side (v.4): IPS single turbo kit w/ GReddy 70mm, BC 3.4 billet stroker crank, BC gears, Italo billet oil pump gears, etc.

    "There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

  2. #2
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2006

    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
    Awesome work, but r1r have to be possibly the WORST selection of performance tire for that car and local. R1R are great for COLD conditions and LIGHT cars, terrible when they get hot.

  3. #3
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    hehe like most things, tires fall into a subjective category. Initially, the R888's were an option, but this car sees its fair share of street driving. They are doing well so far, and the ultimate test would be ALL of the racing events at this year's NG, if possible. If not, then we plan for after MOD.

    Needless to say, they are way better than his 8yo BFG KDW v2's lol. The tread was literally peeling off of them after a few laps at a prior NG (I think).

  4. #4
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    November 1999

    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked 93 Times in 64 Posts
    Woot! In for updates!!

    I've seen Mark's car look incredible but not come anywhere close to the expectations for years. It has been awesome seeing her come alive since he moved out to Cali.

    -John

    1999 3000GT VR-4 #216 - 19T-HL running on Chromed ECU
    2012 Regal GS - 2013 Trail Teams FJ

  5. #5
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    Very cool! I love Marks car

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  6. #6
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Groove View Post
    Woot! In for updates!!

    I've seen Mark's car look incredible but not come anywhere close to the expectations for years. It has been awesome seeing her come alive since he moved out to Cali.

    -John
    Agreed! Hehe there is actually a funny story that I joke about with Mark and others from time to time. When I was a big N/A owning noob freshman in college, I bought Magnecore wires from Mark via 3Si lol. Fast forward 8-9 years, and we are here =P never would have guessed in a million years...

    Another funny story is that during his FIRST SoCal3S meet in San Diego, we all sat down with him and explicitly advised him NOT to go to FSR hahaha (not so biased as ex-customers were present). The rest is history!

    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Very cool! I love Marks car
    Yeah! His car is quite different lol
    Last edited by bboyalan; 04-14-2015 at 04:41 PM.

  7. #7
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan View Post
    Yeah! He is quite different lol
    Fixed!

    Love him though...........no pants

  8. #8
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    LOL! Love it

    -sent from my Galaxy S4

  9. #9
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    You guys really need to make NG.

  10. #10
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    This year's NG is definitely in the cards still. Mark is currently in the Netherlands, so we would need to decide by the time he returns stateside. My updates here will also show our status in being "ready" for it. Even though I am still in search for a new company, it is very tough to pass up the opportunity to make the long trip and race his car too! That and meeting other great owners from out-of-state just like the Texas Gathering and Upper Midwest Gathering.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering