Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air Intake Idea!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks

Cold Air Intake Idea!

Well while my engine is out, I decided to relocate a few things. Anyway i think i figured out a nice way to route the intake

Would this work? The pipe will go under fuse box and to engine. I know i will have to extend the MAS plugPicture 009.jpgPicture 010.jpg

Better than that "other" place Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) x2xtreme360's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You're just asking for trouble with a cai... And they're really useless. No point.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    It's a good way to hydrolock your engine when it rains. Don’t ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    It's a good way to hydrolock your engine when it rains. Don’t ask me how I know.
    What if i added a check valve, so when water tries to get it it wont suck it up?

Better than that "other" place Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) x2xtreme360's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Assy View Post
    What if i added a check valve, so when water tries to get it it wont suck it up?
    A check valve is a one way valve. That means that a check valve will not prevent water from being sucked up into your engine.

CAI do not net any performance gains, and I'm pretty sure your engine is out being rebuilt due to a spun bearing and lack of oil pressure Don't make things worse for yourself... the stock configuration is fine. If you really want to, you could get an aluminum isolator box so the filter doesn't suck in hot engine air... but again, will you see gains? No.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
    A check valve is a one way valve. That means that a check valve will not prevent water from being sucked up into your engine.

CAI do not net any performance gains, and I'm pretty sure your engine is out being rebuilt due to a spun bearing and lack of oil pressure Don't make things worse for yourself... the stock configuration is fine. If you really want to, you could get an aluminum isolator box so the filter doesn't suck in hot engine air... but again, will you see gains? No.
    Well i ment more like a small filter higher up the pipe, so when the pressure is to much it will pull from there thus making the water fall out right? Why do people put cai if it doesnt help?

Leave my engine alone! :P and not so much a spun bearing, its more like wore out bearings haha

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Assy View Post
    Well i ment more like a small filter higher up the pipe, so when the pressure is to much it will pull from there thus making the water fall out right? Why do people put cai if it doesnt help?

Leave my engine alone! :P and not so much a spun bearing, its more like wore out bearings haha
    People install CAI's because they are uninformed. Not that I'm saying anything about you when I say that... but that's really the reason. People seem to think that they actually do something. Even if the air is a few degrees cooler down there, it doesn't make a difference. You should be worrying about upgrading your intercooler Those help a lot more.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I got damn lucky not once, but TWICE when I had a CAI. I sucked water up and it luckily stalled the car when it hit the MAS rather than getting further up the intake. I didn't even drive through a puddle. I was just driving in some rain showers. Both times when the car stalled I pulled the MAS off and dumped about a cup of water out of the MAS and had to wait for it to dry before I could go anywhere.

There was absolutely no gain in power from a CAI to a regular open element filter. I ran the CAI at the track and after I removed it I just had a filter and ran identical times. They are not worth the risk.

And you asked about the check valves. I have heard on more than one occasion of them detoriating and the engine sucking pieces of them up.

To top it all off, it would never fit the way you have it sitting right now. The CAI's found on ebay are designed for NON ABS cars because the intake is routed through the hole that the ABS unit sits in.
    Last edited by stealthee; 10-13-2010 at 10:15 PM.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    I got damn lucky not once, but TWICE when I had a CAI. I sucked water up and it luckily stalled the car when it hit the MAS rather than getting further up the intake. I didn't even drive through a puddle. I was just driving in some rain showers. Both times when the car stalled I pulled the MAS off and dumped about a cup of water out of the MAS and had to wait for it to dry before I could go anywhere.

There was absolutely no gain in power from a CAI to a regular open element filter. I ran the CAI at the track and after I removed it I just had a filter and ran identical times. They are not worth the risk.

And you asked about the check valves. I have heard on more than one occasion of them detoriating and the engine sucking pieces of them up.

To top it all off, it would never fit the way you have it sitting right now. The CAI's found on ebay are designed for NON ABS cars because the intake is routed through the hole that the ABS unit sits in.
    Ay steathee whats needed to remove abs i dont want it im trying to clean my engine bay as much as i can

Damn your lucky. I change my mind lol thanks

Green wow all that from water?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast