Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6G72 Coffee table

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks

6G72 Coffee table

About 6 years ago I saw a picture of a V8 coffee table and fell in love with the concept. Just never had the space nor equipment to make one myself.

Well, about a year ago, I picked up a rod knocking 92 stealth RT for very cheap. The car had very low miles and I had gotten a replacement long block for fairly cheap as well. Before pulling the knocking motor, I decided to put it thru some tests.

It made several trips to taco bell for a good 3 weeks. The girl in the drive thru once told me to shut the motor off because she couldn't understand me thru the PA. In fact, I daily drove this car during that time till the 5-0 nabbed me for no inspection stickers...

Let's see... It also raced a riced out honda CRX and won!

This motor would not quit! So to finish it off, I decided to have some fun with it. It held redline for a few minutes till I got tired of waiting and a headache from the noise (or maybe the cranky bitch neighbor yelled at me, I don't remember...).

Then out came the oil and coolant. Again, it took a few minutes before I got impatient with it...

So out came the NOS and it underwent a straight shot with no nozzles. Again... it survived and I was out of NOS....

After the next restart, it finally bit the ghost when it jumped timing.

It was quite impressive! I pulled the engine and it sat in my garage all this time waiting for me to get what I needed to do something with it.

Here she is in all her stubborn furry!

2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - 1.8L 5-speed 3.9 torsen FMII powered
    Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/threa.../greg-pa-build

99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
    98 Pearl White VR4 #54 of 231 - 12.84@105mph - 93 Octane 12.50@107mph - 100 Octane with Chromed ECU - sold
    99 Pearl White VR4 #108 of 287 - 3RD place stock car class ECG 11 - Sold
    98 Black VR4: 100% stock - totalled by an Illegal 2-12-08
    95 White Stealth TT - 11.852 @ 118.25 - sold
    95 SSG Stealth TT - 11.981 @ 115.81mph - sold

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Disassembled down to the short block. I cleaned and degreased the deck edges with an air buffer and brake cleaner.

I've never welded before, but my neighbor does it for a living. Figured if the special guys at work can do this, it'd be cake for me. After a 30 pack of miller lite and a half hour drive, I had my own mig welder and a mentor.

5 minutes after a brief tutorial, I was making sparks!

Note, I do not condone the consumption of Miller Lite.

An hour later, after some work with spot welds and a level, we have our finished piece!

The pistons are offset like the block. I wanted them to be square, but there was no good way to do them that way with the coolant passages on the side of the deck.

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    The block was then hauled off to my work and burned off in our small lab oven over night at 850 degrees. Doing this removes anything bonded to the metal and gets rid of all the oil and coolant in the steel.

She's ugly and ready for the legs!

This was the most difficult part. Using scrap angle and our 220volt steel punch/press, I tediously measured the pieces for where to punch all the holes. I used the motor mount bolts as well as the bracket mount bolts for the AC compressor and axle on the block.

The casters will go into the 7/16th hole punched in the angle you see here. It took some time to get it setup to where the casters will sit square and even.

Next time I do this, I'll just use 2 pieces of angle instead of 4. One bolt stud will need to be trimmed down on the block, but it'll be a lot easier to set and level with 2 long pieces than 4 small ones.

It also took some time for me to decide which casters I wanted. Since this piece weighs about 80lbs and will sit on carpet, I wanted to get ball shapped casters so it'd be easy to push around and not ruin the carpet. These are the ones I decided on.

They're rated at 350lbs and were available down the street at Lowes for only $16 (for all 4).

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    At work we also have a sandblasting room larger than most people's garage! It'll easily fit 2 cars inside. The sand used was a 24 grit clean blast sprayed at 120psi out of a fire hose. It'd take less than a second to spray sand thru your skin and down to your bones. A full body suit with breathable air is required in order to use this blaster.

I decided to leave the oil rings in place inside the pistons as they looked cooler than the empty slots. Take note, the arrows on top of the pistons are pointing towards the timing belt side of the motor.

That's where I'm at right now with this project! Just hauled it off to the powdercoaters for a sweet translucent blue powdercoating job. This is the color I decided on.

I should have it back from them by the end of the week.

In the mean time, I'm calling around about where to get a glass top made up. I want it to have beveled with polished edges and be about 26"x32" in size. I'm going to etch some kind of design into it as well. Be it the letters 6G72 or something more creative like an embossed 3/S. Haven't decided yet but it'll be slick when it's done!
    Last edited by Greg E; 10-11-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unknownvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    sweet idea
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Like i said in the other thread, this is a cool idea. Once my motor goes i'll think about doing this with it, as long as the holes not to big...

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    Like i said in the other thread, this is a cool idea. Once my motor goes i'll think about doing this with it, as long as the holes not to big...
    If you look carefully, one of the piston skirts are missing a chunk. I made sure to use that one!

Forum User Feedback Score -1 (0%) skater334's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2006 - 94 Base model ; 2008 - 94 VR-4

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice, nice. I want one, I just can't use the one in my car, it's my core chargeable part.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrosity
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyAppleVr4
    3S's have been turning normal people into mechanics since 1991. =P
    yeah you can say that again

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thats awesome.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 EZnTn's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    looks sweet