Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: My Positive Exp Tuning AEM EMS S2 on Stock Turbos/Fuel - 313//337

  1. #1
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts

    Thumbs up My Positive Exp Tuning AEM EMS S2 on Stock Turbos/Fuel - 313//337

    I usually keep my more mild tuning updates to our regional board, but I felt that this build has had a pretty cool outcome thus far.



    The owner, Rob, was referred to me through another client/friend in SoCal. After seeing the results with "DuTTch" Mark's VR-4 [560AWHP @23lbs on AEM], he decided to hit me up. I knew that I could not pass up the opportunity to tune a Series 2 from scratch yet alone with a stock turbo and stock fuel car.



    Needless to say, I was determined and very much prepared. I was already on my toes from doing multiple GReddy/Link/ECUFlash tunes and such this year with local 3/S, Evo, and DSM cars. The results absolutely surprised me, and I can honestly say that the car drives leaps and bounds better than it did on stock ECU/MAS!





    Full boost by 2.8k, crisp DFCO, lean cruise, and she looks/sounds/performs plain mean! The only downside was that I quickly realized how limited I would be from the stock fuel system - completely tapped out! I was amused to learn that shortly after receiving the car back, he had wasted no time in acquiring GReddy 720cc injectors and a Walbro 400lph FP yeeee!!


    "313AWHP is the final number - for now! This is exactly what I was aiming for on stock turbos, stock injectors, and stock fuel pump. The gains are roughly +38//22 at the same 1bar boost with pre's hollowed and 3SX DP added along with fine-tuning the AEM of course. I am definitely content despite not having more fuel to work with.

    For the record, peak KNKV was ~1.09v =]"

    The next possibilities include more boost on Pump-91, 91/100 mix, or Pump-E85 regardless of stock or upgraded turbos. Things will continue to get more interesting to say the least though!







    Stay tuned!
    -ALan/BTS

    //edit//
    2015 UPDATES >> Page 3
    Last edited by bboyalan; 04-16-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: fixed image sources
    3/S Street Tuner San Diego's Panda VR-4 v.3 w/ 38psi (peak) on E85+Meth | 3094 lbs as of 7/2/19

    '92 VR-4 - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, suspension, and corner balancing | '10 EVO X SE | '04 EVO VIII SSL
    4/1/21 - "retuned" est. 570AWHP VD SAE (580 U/C | second gear | 88°F) holding ~30psi (more boost & less timing still... hehe)
    On the side (v.4): IPS single turbo kit w/ GReddy 70mm, BC 3.4 billet stroker crank, BC gears, Italo billet oil pump gears, etc.

    "There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

  2. #2
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts

    Talking

    Oh! I almost forgot my pre-celebratory breakdance 3/S picture

    Last edited by bboyalan; 04-16-2015 at 09:55 PM.

  3. #3
    Member Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    '09

    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    2,604
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 131 Times in 95 Posts
    Gotta love the S2.

  4. #4
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3000 View Post
    Gotta love the S2.
    Yess'r! Chris H. and I have been joking back and forth via FB comments about live tuning being the best perk of all; it really is though.

  5. #5
    I don't bite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Southern IN
    Posts
    1,996
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 98 Times in 80 Posts

    My Positive Exp Tuning AEM EMS S2 on Stock Turbos/Fuel - 313//337

    Good shit! You know my opinion on AEM S2
    1992 Kilder Green VR4 - First 4G swap in a 3S. 2.0, auto, awd. 9.65 at 143mph. Now LS swapped. 8.52 at 162.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to familyMAN For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by familyMAN View Post
    Good shit! You know my opinion on AEM S2
    HAHA ya damn right I do brotha

    BTW! Did you end up going with a Holset over FP? I could have sworn that you ultimately decided on an HX40. The reason I ask is because I miiiight be taking in a local's built 8.5:1 2.0L with the 6-blade HX40. It VD baselined around 350+ on Link v3 lite in SD and needs a complete retune. I was curious to hear your experience and what kind of powerband+boost curve you are/were seeing for comparison.


    The underhood madness of a large turbo 2.0L 4G63T. Break-in has been completed, and a few items will be addressed before the next step, such as FP intake pipe, sealed OCC w/ vac, wiring, etc.
    Yes, I can [and just did] derail my own thread LOL!

  8. #7
    I don't bite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Southern IN
    Posts
    1,996
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 98 Times in 80 Posts
    I have a 7blade 70lb/min HX40 on the shelf. Still rockin the 14b for now until I gather the final pieces to build the spare block into a long rod 2.4. Just need a 7bolt 2.4 crank and torque plate and it can all go to the machine shop this winter.

  9. #8
    Monogamous Gigolo verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    October 2009

    Location
    Ithaca, Mi.
    Posts
    2,755
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked 190 Times in 131 Posts
    I can so see myself maxing out my 13G's before stepping up to DR750's. Thanks for sharing.

  10. #9
    I don't bite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Southern IN
    Posts
    1,996
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 98 Times in 80 Posts
    Curious...How much boost for the 350hp on the 2.0 hx40?

  11. #10
    SDSU Alumnus verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

    Location
    Chula Vista SD, CA
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fnloud View Post
    I can so see myself maxing out my 13G's before stepping up to DR750's. Thanks for sharing.
    Very welcome and thanks for commenting! I believe it was Saf from France that pushed 13G's to 430AWHP on Pump-E85 and AEM EMS.

    [I just double-checked to confirm and yes, I remembered correctly!]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering