Thanks

DTC Codes Help Needed...

Hi guys,

I have a '95 GTO SR.

I got my car scanned and found some DTC codes that came up:

15. Safing G-sensor Short Circuit

41. Power Supply Circuit 1-open

51. D Squib DRV Circuit 1

Does anyone know what exactly that means and where the problems come from? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    '95 Mitsubishi GTO AWD ATX - '99 front end conversion, TT conversion (19Ts), Forced Four shift box with paddle shifters, A/A wing, LCDBC, 3" straight piped exhaust with no cats and gutted pre-cats, Custom rear diffuser, HIDs, Carbon fiber steering wheel, 18" Mustang Saleen replicas.
    '92 Dodge Stealth ES - 3KGT body conversion. Sold!

Stealth owner since '91 Feedback Score 0 Steve '92ES's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm not the best with OBDII but those all sound air bag related to me.
    Does your SRS light work, and is it on?

Drives a UFO Feedback Score 0 ilian51378's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve '92ES View Post
    I'm not the best with OBDII but those all sound air bag related to me.
    Does your SRS light work, and is it on?
    You are right, I have installed an aftermarket steering wheel and the SRS light has been on since. I installed a resistor into the connector as per the instructions of a guy who did it to his Honda, but I plugged the resistor to a different SRS connector than the one described in his instructions since I drive a Mitsu. I figured that it is the same basic thing that needs to be done - fool the airbag module that the airbag is still connected. I used a 3.3 ohm resistor, but I guess I did something wrong, because the light stays on. Do you have any idea what resistance our airbags operate on? I thought that most, if not all airbags operate on the same resistance... That may not be correct though. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Owner Since

Thanks
    Unfortunately I don't have any diagrams for 2nd gen (two air bag) systems.
    You might try starting a new thread asking for "help with aftermarket steering wheel" or something like that to see if you can catch the attention of someone else who's done this.
    The other problem you might have is that once a code gets latched into the SRS the only way to clear it is with the dealer scan tool. Even if you get the resistor right the light might stay on, and the dealer might not be willing to work on a modified system. In the end the easiest thing might be to pull the bulb and ignore those codes.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Unfortunately I don't have any diagrams for 2nd gen (two air bag) systems.
    You might try starting a new thread asking for "help with aftermarket steering wheel" or something like that to see if you can catch the attention of someone else who's done this.
    The other problem you might have is that once a code gets latched into the SRS the only way to clear it is with the dealer scan tool. Even if you get the resistor right the light might stay on, and the dealer might not be willing to work on a modified system. In the end the easiest thing might be to pull the bulb and ignore those codes.
    I have thought of pulling the bulb, but when passing inspection, sometimes they look at the light when starting the car and if no light comes on, they don't pass it...

Owner Since

Thanks
    For that you're going to have to look up the rules in your state.
    I've passed inspections with the light on. (I thought about pulling the bulb but I was curious to see what they'd say. Not a word, and these are the same guys that failed me for a faded license plate! )
    I guess it all depends on whether your state considers "supplemental" restraint mandatory...

Owner Since

Thanks
    Okay, I found out what the codes meant and what the fix for some is.

15. That was the airbag connector since I had the airbag unplugged and the SRS light was on. I fixed that by using a resistor to bypass the SRS system and make it think that there is an airbag connected. The resistor I used was Lectrohm 2ohm +- 5%W. After I connected the resistor, I cleared the codes and the SRS light went away.

41. This code went away after I plugged in the resistor for the airbag, so I am assuming it had to do with the same thing.

51. This code is still in the system, but I think it has to do with the driver's side seat belt. I will look into it and see if there is a problem with it. For now, I know that the belt does not retract good sometimes (you know how they stick with time).

Owner Since

Thanks
    It seems odd that the light would go out if there's still an error. Just for grins have someone sit in the passenger seat and check it again. I wonder if there's a switch in the seat that shuts off the passenger air bag ("B" Squib?) if no one's sitting in it?
    FWIW a squib is a small explosive charge such as in the airbag. Some cars might use a squib to pull up the seatbelt in a crash but I don't think our cars use anything like that.

Owner Since

Thanks
    It seems odd that the light would go out if there's still an error. Just for grins have someone sit in the passenger seat and check it again. I wonder if there's a switch in the seat that shuts off the passenger air bag ("B" Squib?) if no one's sitting in it?
    FWIW a squib is a small explosive charge such as in the airbag. Some cars might use a squib to pull up the seatbelt in a crash but I don't think our cars use anything like that.
    I don't think in my case it is the airbag though. If it were the airbag, the light would still be on. Also, it is not the "B" Squib in my case, it is the "D" Squib and it says DRV so it must be on the driver's side. And since my seatbelt is the only thing that is not working properly at times, that makes me assume that the problem is there. I will try to fix it and report here after that.