Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So if the oil pickup fell of while driving...

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TUFFTR's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

So if the oil pickup fell of while driving...

After the drag races the oil light came on after driving through a puddle, thought it was the puddle! when in fact it was actually in fact my oil pickup tube. I thought the puddle had whacked the sensor out. Drove the car maybe 100m with pickup not attached (so i found out later)

Turns out when i put the pickup on the first time, i didnt use threadlocker or use the right torque settings. NFI what i smoking when i did that.

Didn't see any bearing material when i dropped the oil....filled it up, put the bolts back in PROPERLY and I've done about 200k's on it, no knocks, sounds, anything, drives like normal.

I'll be saving up for some new heads this year, for next year....but....after200k's is it still possible for one to spin? I mean, drives fine and everything....but is it possible I've done irreversible damage?

I mean what's done is done. Can't do much now. pretty pissed in myself really.
    Hmmm...opinions?! Crank should of at least been spinning in 5L of oil so I dont think it's done damage.....

Low & Slow verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) kywhitelightning's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The only way to truely know is to cut open your oil filter that was on the car at the time of the mishap. You said the oil in the bottom of the pan was clean and debris free, so as long as the filter is the same you should have nothing to worry about beyond normal bearing wear/milage. That is one great thing about using synthetic oil, it stays a lot longer than conventional oil. Not sure if you saw the old Castrol Syntec oil commercials or not, but that test was with engines running with the oil drained at WOT.

Jeff

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    I don't see how the engine didn't blow up almost immediately. If the pickup fell down into the pan then you shouldn't have had any pressure at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Whats done is done. The only way to know for sure is to take it all apart and look. Its up to you whether you go that far, or just change your oil and carry on like nothing ever happened,

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    I don't see how the engine didn't blow up almost immediately. If the pickup fell down into the pan then you shouldn't have had any pressure at all.
    I knew I typed this in a rush. I should clear it up, the 2 bolts for the pickup, well, one fell off into the bottom of the pan, the other one had about a turn left before the whole thing dropped off. so it didnt come completely off,....I should of said that..
    I run Penrite Semi-syn 15w-60 in both my DOHC motor's and yeah, no complaints at all.

Austin - well thats it......even if my bearings were cactus wouldn't i need the crank polished at a minimum? which either way i want to look at it a full engine rebuild.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFFTR View Post
    I knew I typed this in a rush. I should clear it up, the 2 bolts for the pickup, well, one fell off into the bottom of the pan, the other one had about a turn left before the whole thing dropped off. so it didnt come completely off,....I should of said that..
    I run Penrite Semi-syn 15w-60 in both my DOHC motor's and yeah, no complaints at all.

Austin - well thats it......even if my bearings were cactus wouldn't i need the crank polished at a minimum? which either way i want to look at it a full engine rebuild.
    Ahh OK, At the least cut the filter open and check for bearing material or pull the pan and inspect the bearings.

edit: well I assume you have the pan off already because you know about the tube so yeah I guess I'd check the the bearings.
    Last edited by green-lantern; 10-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Ahh OK, At the least cut the filter open and check for bearing material or pull the pan and inspect the bearings.

edit: well I assume you have the pan off already because you know about the tube so yeah I guess I'd check the the bearings.
    Mmmm....I had it all off....put it all back together though.....is it safe to just reaplce bearings even if the crank looks fine? or is this a shortcut of sorts?

Low & Slow verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) kywhitelightning's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I think you're fine. It seems to me like you are looking for a concious clearer and the only way for it to be totally off your mind would be to inspect everything. No particle in the bottom of your pan when you had it off for the pickup installation tells me that it should be fine. Nothing wrong with checking though.

Jeff

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) terrets's Avatar
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFFTR View Post
    Mmmm....I had it all off....put it all back together though.....is it safe to just reaplce bearings even if the crank looks fine? or is this a shortcut of sorts?
    Its a risky short cut....I developed a rod knock due to low oil the day I bought the car....I replaced just the bearings...It still knocks slightly and I will garantee that my crank is SHOT....I would not suggest this unless you can NOT afford to pull the crank now....

I don't see why you would have to replace the bearings if you hear no knock and they look/feel alright...Someone else might have a different opinion though.

Ive got to agree with kywhitelightning. ^

Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a spare (yeah a spare lol) 6G74 DOHC sitting on the stand which spun a bearing. Now that I've scored this P/T job during uni I am having bad bad thoughts! (to do it up lol)

I just started this thread to gauge opinions....If everyone said "dude, your an idiot, your motor will be fucked" then fair enough, I know what I'm in for kinda thing. but yeah, no knock at all at any RPM.

Better then what My mate did to his 72' DOHC anyway....dropped the oil....realized he parked in front of his other car, when he realized he forgot the oil at my house, so instead of pouring the oil back in to the motor, he started the motor up WITH NO OIL AT ALL and backed it out of the driveway and parked it on the street. To this day I give him shit lol.

Thanks dudes anyway. Just good to hear some clarification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast