Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a cheap CARPUTER!!!! (DIY)

Making a cheap CARPUTER!!!! (DIY)

This would make a great sticky.

Ok Ive seen all these top dollar carputers so I set out to make a cheap one that most can afford.
    Most of the things you need you can find off ebay!!! This set up is better because you have a battery in the laptop!! And built in wifi!! I bought everything for under 200 dollars!!

1. $90.99 Laptop with a vga in back(When you search for a laptop search BROKEN SCREEN) You just need the computer not the screen! The screen will be removed.

2. $70 Monitor I bought a 11 inch monitor from tveiw. (MAKE SURE IT HAS A VGA HOOKUP!!!!!!)

3. $15 heavy duty rails from home depo.

4. $17 car charger.

This is the tview screen.

These are the railes I bought from home depo!

This is what I will be attempting very soon. PS this is a photo I found not my car!!!

As for wiring in the car charger make sure you wire it in on the aux. so the charger will shut off when the key is in the off position. This would also be great for those of us using ODB1 and 2 software.
    I have also bought two actuators. One is to push the laptop out from the glove box. The other is to raise the tv from the airbag. You can decide yourself how you wish to do it. And sorry for pic quality they were from my phone.

Let me know what you guys think. And yes it will remain a stock look when it is not on.
    And before I forget I also bought an external touch pad for $23.51 It will go were the ashtray is in our car. And my 7" double din has a video in and out So I can control and see the computer from the drivers seat.
    Last edited by Zero-X3; 10-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    hmm interesing idea

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I found the perfect unit for this but after reading the reviews they say it's shit. But it's an indash 7" flip out touchscreen with USB control. also has built in amp and plays dvd cd etc. Also can use the internal dvd drive as a dvd rom for the pc..... haven't found anything like it since

http://www.xenarc.com/product/MDT-X7000.html

1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    In for result...

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Quote Originally Posted by GTOJOE View Post
    I found the perfect unit for this but after reading the reviews they say it's shit. But it's an indash 7" flip out touchscreen with USB control. also has built in amp and plays dvd cd etc. Also can use the internal dvd drive as a dvd rom for the pc..... haven't found anything like it since

http://www.xenarc.com/product/MDT-X7000.html

There are many single and double din carputers out there but most are in the 1500 to 3000 dollar range. For a good brand.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    subscribed

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    oh and I hope your passenger likes a touch screen in permanently embedded into their skull after that airbag goes off.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero-X3 View Post
    There are many single and double din carputers out there but most are in the 1500 to 3000 dollar range. For a good brand.
    The MDT-X7000 is just a headunit with touchscreen and dvd rom support. Still needs a pc attached. And it costs about $1000 But the benefit of this one is I can build any pc and connect it. I'm not restricted by the specs of the retail units.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiron View Post
    oh and I hope your passenger likes a touch screen in permanently embedded into their skull after that airbag goes off.
    Why yes thats a great Idea lets leave the airbag in!!!! How about no. They dont need the airbag. racing seats and 4 point harness should keep them in place.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero-X3 View Post
    Why yes thats a great Idea lets leave the airbag in!!!! How about no. They dont need the airbag. racing seats and 4 point harness should keep them in place.
    haha good. i'm just making sure you are gonna take it out or disable it. some people do overlook such things.