Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lmi Blown Turbo Club!

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans@GZP View Post
    We had a customer's car burn to the ground because of a leaking LMI turbo. He didn't have more then 500 miles on it. Totalled the whole car. Atrosity saw the pics.
    Ouch, what the hell was it leaking? Those must have been his new kerosene lubricated bearings.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Ouch, what the hell was it leaking? Those must have been his new kerosene lubricated bearings.
    It leaked oil directly onto the exhaust which caught fire. He just shut the car off and watched it burn while waiting for the fire department to show up. It's a shame, it was a 97 SL that he had brought to us. We did a full 6 speed awd conversion along with the turbo engine conversion and all supporting mods for 16T's. All that work done and money spent for nothing.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    It leaked oil directly onto the exhaust which caught fire. He just shut the car off and watched it burn while waiting for the fire department to show up. It's a shame, it was a 97 SL that he had brought to us. We did a full 6 speed awd conversion along with the turbo engine conversion and all supporting mods for 16T's. All that work done and money spent for nothing.
    That is a damn shame! Since I did some fuel mods I have always carried a fire extinguisher.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

I'm Kind Of A Big Deal
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    That is a damn shame! Since I did some fuel mods I have always carried a fire extinguisher.
    he had a fire extinguisher on his a-pillar, at least he did the last time I saw the car. I assume by the time he pulled over, shut the car off, got out of the car with it, it was a little too late to pop the hood, etc...

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilie@GZP View Post
    he had a fire extinguisher on his a-pillar, at least he did the last time I saw the car. I assume by the time he pulled over, shut the car off, got out of the car with it, it was a little too late to pop the hood, etc...
    how could you confirm oil was leaking on the header and was the real reason the car caught fire in the first place? ( I am in no way standing up for LMI)

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I could tell from where the fire started and what the rear turbo looked like when I pulled the car apart. I'll post up pictures tomorrow or something.

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I could tell from where the fire started and what the rear turbo looked like when I pulled the car apart. I'll post up pictures tomorrow or something.
    That's horrible, I know oil is flammable but it isn't easily started.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    So many stories about bad LMI turbos yet no action has been taken. Surely he is accountable. Why hasn't someone taken him to court or at least got their money back for these? I don't understand it. Why are you all allowing yourselves to be fucked over?
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOJOE View Post
    So many stories about bad LMI turbos yet no action has been taken. Surely he is accountable. Why hasn't someone taken him to court or at least got their money back for these? I don't understand it. Why are you all allowing yourselves to be fucked over?
    Most of us are on the other side of the country. I'd have to take him to court in CA. Plus, I know he doesn't have any money. It would be like getting blood from a stone.

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOJOE View Post
    It would cost more money then I have into them, plus my time is worth more then that anyway.