Thread: First Datalogs on new engine. Need input.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks

First Datalogs on new engine. Need input.

Ok, so I finally had the time to get some real datalogs. 40 mins worth or so.

They can be found at http://www.jslaydesign.net/datalog

For use with HHH. Please let me know how these look. Thanks!

Also, it would be nice if someone can point out what I should be looking at in these things. Never really gone this advanced before.

Edit:

I have 3sx Ross 8.5:1 3sx Rods and a Forged from a 4 bolt in my 2-bolt.
    stock 360cc's and a hotwired with lo-hi Walbro 255.
    13t's at 12psi on the autometer, don't know how accurate it really is though.
    3sx fuel loop. Stock FPR.
    This was on 91-Pump.

I believe it is version 3 build 6 btw.

I should also note what is going to go in it. I already have the parts, just wanted to get the break in finished and running correctly before adding this stuff.

RC 550cc's
    Emanage Ultimate with Boomslang at Stage 2.5. I also have the injector adapter which I am assuming I just wired each of the 6 green to injector wires, but which ones? Red goes to 12v. I also have no idea how to tune with this. I have the Emanage MAP sensor and want to go speed density with no MAF. I think I am going to use a GM IAT. Also, I have the GM boost solenoid and hope to use Sub-Inj map to have a cheap EBC. IDK about this yet because I have heard good and bad about this.

I know I need to get a Wideband, but as of right now, I have no job. So I am assuming that everything is running ok. I feel very accomplished with this engine. This is the first one I have built for myself, let alone, to this degree of precision.

Edit 2: I fucking hate my upper AC/Alt pulley. I have nightmares of the whine it causes and the ladies that laugh at me.

SDSU Alumnus verified
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

Thanks
    DAMN that is a TON of logging lol! I was not sure which version of the software you were using but saw you had a first gen heh.

I reviewed three of the four logs, and everything looks pretty nice! What exactly is your setup and what kind of fuel are you using? It appears that you were already at approximately 92% IDC by 6k [calculated] which does not leave you with much headroom up top, but that timing curve is bangin! She must be very responsive.

BTW, you should be able to pull a decent amount of fuel during cruise @2k+
    3/S Street Tuner San Diego's Panda VR-4 v.3 w/ 38psi (peak) on E85+Meth | 3094 lbs as of 7/2/19

'92 VR-4 - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, suspension, and corner balancing | '10 EVO X SE | '04 EVO VIII SSL
    4/1/21 - "retuned" est. 570AWHP VD SAE (580 U/C | second gear | 88°F) holding ~30psi (more boost & less timing still... hehe)
    On the side (v.4): IPS single turbo kit w/ GReddy 70mm, BC 3.4 billet stroker crank, BC gears, Italo billet oil pump gears, etc.

"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bboyalan For This Useful Post:

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks

Wow. I am amazed someone of your stature is loving this log!

I have 3sx Ross 8.5:1 3sx Rods and a Forged from a 4 bolt in my 2-bolt.
    stock 360cc's and a hotwired with lo-hi Walbro 255.
    13t's at 12psi on the autometer, don't know how accurate it really is though.
    3sx fuel loop. Stock FPR.

I believe it is version 3 build 6 btw.

Also, I think I know what to do with IDC. But what am I really looking for and what to do with timing?
    Last edited by blindmist; 10-08-2010 at 04:55 AM.

SDSU Alumnus verified
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

Thanks
    Ah! I knew it was small-sized injectors with a turbo upgrade! hehe the IPW hinted at that one, but I could only presume by comparison to another 360cc larger turbo car. Break-in period, right? You are right around the vicinity of 10.5:1 AFR.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    What is the best AFR for this setup? I am assuming that 10.5:1 is pretty rich? I was at the 620-670 mile for the engine break-in for these logs accordingly. This is also on 91-Pump gas.

And what is a good IPW? Actually, where can I go just to learn how to tune this shit and what to look for? I know there has to be a damn good write up somewhere.
    Last edited by blindmist; 10-08-2010 at 05:08 AM.

SDSU Alumnus verified
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

Thanks
    Well, 13T's @12psi w/ 31* [peak] on Pump-91 @.95-.97v//~10.5:1 sounds pretty normal as far as factory maps go haha! Were you planning on sticking with the 360's for a while or will you be upgrading soon? You seem to have the primary supporting stuff i.e. EMU, motor, and Walbro and should be able to cut those snails loose!

Who needs a writeup when you live in Texas? I always thought that there were a ton of knowledgeable 3/S guys out there who could assist/guide you, no? Local meets perhaps?

//edit// I just saw your revised OP. You definitely have the parts to get this done. Can I safely assume that you would like to tune your own car to both learn and avoid extra expenditures? My suggestion would be to initially use the EMU in conjunction with the stock MAS until you gain a better understanding of what to look for. As you become more comfortable with that, you can smoothly transition over to speed density with the IAT+MAP sensors and progressively go from there. It only makes sense to tune the motor that you built with your own hands!
    Last edited by bboyalan; 10-08-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan View Post
    Well, 13T's @12psi w/ 31* [peak] on Pump-91 @.95-.97v//~10.5:1 sounds pretty normal as far as factory maps go haha! Were you planning on sticking with the 360's for a while or will you be upgrading soon? You seem to have the primary supporting stuff i.e. EMU, motor, and Walbro and should be able to cut those snails loose!

Who needs a writeup when you live in Texas? I always thought that there were a ton of knowledgeable 3/S guys out there who could assist/guide you, no? Local meets perhaps?
    There is NO ONE around me. I am a loner man. They are all about 6 hours from me. I have the 550's, just not ready to go with them until I can tune properly with the 360's. What is a good cheap downpipe to go with, or is the stock one good enough to get a bung put on for a wideband?
    Last edited by blindmist; 10-08-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    I am planning on using the EMU with this setup for right now to log with it as well before moving to the speed density, I am just completely clueless on how to use the software for it and I am scared to damage something. I tried to follow BlackStealth's guide for it from 3si, but I am just getting confused more and more. It isn't that I am not smart or competent enough, it is just something I have 0 experience with, and I have no idea what I should be looking for. And yes, I would love to learn how to tune my own car. I would LOVE to learn how to do it. I am just scared. I have a lot of money in this thing and this is the last time I'm building this bitch. lol.

I am wanting to get to a goal of 21-23psi with the 550's. I think that is a great level of power for these engines. They really come alive 17+