Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Classified Verification Overkill

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 cjbyron's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Classified Verification Overkill

1) Make a post with your full name, birth date, address and phone number.
    2) Attach an image of your drivers license and a bill that shows your address.
    3) Once the administration reviews your post your access to the classifieds forums will be granted

Seriously? On a frickin car forum? Reads like a business agreement. So it's also "When dealing with someone that you do not know please remember, "Caveat emptor" Let the buyer beware" on top of it.

Would like to be able to post some things for sale but honestly am NOT posting an image of drv's license and a bill. That is just too much personal info for posting on a car forum.

If the forum itself as an entity take zero responsibility then this is total overkill.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjbyron For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    you know how many problems 3si had with scamming? Everyone wants to buy something with a good price so quickly they dont get to actually talk to the person or even search if they have had problems. I like the new classified stuff...its a lot but will cause less headaces I think.

Coop

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Instead of posting it publicly, how about getting a few trusted people to act on the community's behalf to privately verify the information.

Also, if a genuine verification is needed, do it through mail. It's too easy to photoshop stuff and post it up.

I can assure you that I won't post any of that info publicly. Aside from consumer dangers, I'm in the military and have a security clearance. If I publicly posted that info here, it would be cause for revocation of my clearance, in essence ending my military career.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lechnoid For This Useful Post:

Administrator Feedback Score 3 (100%) Alan92RTTT's Avatar
    Owner Since
    02/1998

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Only approved mod staff(ie me) can see that forum. Posting the images proves that you are who you say you are. And they are private and available for easy reference.

IN the long run it will be faster then the 3si process.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Could there be an alternate method used as well, such as emailing the mods instead of posting in a private section of the forums? Heightened security, FTW.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I am quite aware of that yes. In fact probably more aware than many.

I also know that without any legit business agreement the posting of personal info is a minimum deterrent. And IMO overkill as stated. Plenty of people claim scammed anyway and this (or any other car forum) isn't going to back up anything by requiring such personal info.

I don't want to debate it. It was posted as my opinion and an educated one at that. If someone else wants to freely give out that kind of personal info on a forum in this day and age feel free. People only freak about SS# but that is not the sole thing for identity theft. IMO to give out such info online is stupid. Especially when it guarantees nothing.

ANYWAY...this section is titled suggestion box. That's my suggestion - lighten up,,,it's an internet forum. To ask for that info is, IMO, ridiculous. I'm glad to verify my email and other non-intrusive methods that are commensurate with selling online but drv's license copis, bill copies,,,,that's just waayyyyyyy over the top.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan92RTTT View Post
    Only approved mod staff(ie me) can see that forum. Posting the images proves that you are who you say you are. And they are private and available for easy reference.

IN the long run it will be faster then the 3si process.
    I understand that but I have no assurance of that information's protection, release, etc. It is just NOT WISE to give out that sort of info in this day and age. Nothing personal at all towards you. It also proves nothing in reality since it wasn't presented in person. Plus, I am sure there are MANY people here that you "know" who they are just from their email address anyway. Lots of ways to check without such intrusive info request especially since buyers are not guaranteed anything anyway.

Hey, that's my suggestion. Nothing more, nothing less. It just seems to me a bit silly for a internet car forum to ask for that level of info.
    Last edited by cjbyron; 09-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    This is a suggestion box and I'm in brainstorming mode.....take all my thoughts, ideas, and suggestions in the context of "shoot out 100 ideas and we'll eventually find a good one" mode.

Is there a low-cost escrow service that would want to hop in bed with us? Require all forum transactions go through an escrow service and suggest a few companies that handle smaller transactions like we'd have.

Charter Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Geordon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    I think a verifiable name, address, and phone number is acceptable. I know I always feel better when a seller gives me their phone number and address. If the site verifies these, that would be great. I have looked up numbers given to me before from Autotrader, and discovered they were hotel fax machines. Big Red Flag! I agree that drivers license and bill statement are a bit much, as they can easily be photochopped, and I doubt they can easily be verified by the site mods, which may also open them up to legal liabilities, if someone did get scammed, only to find out later the site vouched for them based on bogus information.

I think a compromise would be to allow optional secondary seller authentication, such as a confirmed ebay ID. This would allow interested buyers to check established feedback. If the ID was provided, a link would be provided by the site, if someone wanted to check it. Sure, the ebay ID could simply be included by the seller in their ad, but that would require each buyer to verify it is actually the seller's, and not just a link to a random ID.

Charter Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Geordon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lechnoid View Post
    Is there a low-cost escrow service that would want to hop in bed with us? Require all forum transactions go through an escrow service and suggest a few companies that handle smaller transactions like we'd have.
    I stay away from escrow services, and am often advised against dealing with sellers who require them, as they are often alleged scams.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast