Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2014 Refresh/ 6G74TT conversion

At least my jackstands are reliable Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Uniuno's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

My 2014 Refresh/ 6G74TT conversion

It's that time of year again to spend all the monies on the 3k. Most people's yearly refresh includes things like changing the oil, checking the brakes, wash/wax, and maybe throwing in a new air freshener. Mine tend to be engine rebuilds.

I sold my Del Sol over the weekend and couldn't think of a better place to dump the cash.

I ordered a 6G74 from BestofJDM.com. They have the most complete parts list out of any that I've found and are based in Virginia. Most people say to go through JDMEnginesDepot. Their website says they are out of stock so I emailed them to find out when they would be back in stock. They replied that they are unavailable.

Since I have to modify my SS downpipe anyway I figured now is the time to order a cat-back so that whatever exhaust shop I take it to can make my DP work with it rather than lining it up with my stock 2.5" and later trying to get the new exhaust to fit. I ordered the IPS quad tip system. I've heard nothing but good reviews on it and I like the way it looks stock but flows better and weighs less.

I also found a good deal on a 4-bolt turbo oil pan. You either have to modify the 74 oil pan to clear the t-case or grind the 74 girdle to clear the 72 pan. Grinding the girdle seems like the less painful way to go.

The only other thing I thought I might need is '99 style lifters. I went ahead and picked them up from 3sx with the tool that they have on sale.

Of course other things will pop up but I'll deal with them as they come.

95 Base 3k: 6G74/TT/AWD conversion

YOUUSSS TRROOOLLLIN supporter Feedback Score 0 sketch's Avatar
    Owner Since
    8/2008

Thanks

first

nice. interested in seeing your setup with the oil pan down the road.

what setup are you going to use for the turbos on the 3.5?
    (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

-jeff

1992 SVX LS-L
    1996 3000GT FWD-TT
    2005 XC90 T6 AWD

i collect parts.

6g74 block : 6g74 crankshaft (for sale!) : 6g75 crankshaft : 6g74/75 forged H-beam rods : 6g75 MIVEC heads : 2x 20G TD05 turbos

DrWeldin Wastegate upgrades : DrWeldin brushed sparkplug cover : Pampena solid rear diff bushings : STM brainded stainless clutch line : GZP remote clutch bleeder : Maximal Performance? T-case bracket : Seattle91VR4 poly motor mounts : front solid motor sound : 98SL ECU w/ Chrome & BlackStealth adapter harness : 3SX O2 simulators : TLE Groundwire kit

Krank Vents (original) : 3.0" GM MAF : 3.75" GM MAF w/ adapter harness : MAFT 1.x : NinjaPerformance remote IAC block : BlackStealth LCD Boost Controller : NinjaPerformance Boost Controller : Dejon split y-pipe : Dejon pre-turbo intake pipes w/ K&N filters : K&N FIPK kit : DSM SMICs : Tim/*GT Custom TD05 SMICs BIGGER THAN YOURS : random tech high-flow cat : M2 exhaust

Jackhammer Dual pump fuel hangar : 2x Aeromotive Stealth 340 fuel pumps : SX -10AN fuel filter : 450cc DSM blacktop injectors : 880cc delphi injectors : Stealthlabel injector quick disconnect clips : custom stainless steel breaded PTFE dual feed fuel setup : Fuelab FPR : Skillard underbody fuel channel

96 Stealth spoiler (original) : 2x Cianci 52mm DS B-pillar gauge pods w/ 1x matching PS blank B-pillar (different manufacturers) : Billet grill : random eBay? strut bar

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    My refresh started in 2012 I believe.

In to see some awesome sauce!

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

At least my jackstands are reliable Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Uniuno's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks guys, the plan is to have it ready for NG this year so hopefully I can make it happen!

Since I'm going to run the 3.5L stock with 10:1 internals I'm going to be limited on turbo choice. The ultimate goal is to have a 8.5:1 forged 3.5 with Kamak 20T turbos to make a torque-monster street car. So I really don't want to spend much (if any) on a temporary turbo set up.

I don't know how much a stock 74 can take before hitting knock. I could convert to e85 but then the engine may not handle it. I feel like it's kind of a weird place to be.

I remember how much fun I had on my 10:1 9b low boost set up and am kinda going for that again with this, except now I'm AWD.

Ultimately, I want to be able to drive it. The thing spends too much time under the knife (at least I get enjoyment out of working on it) or in storage and not on the road.

Owner Since
    8/2008

Thanks
    ah, i wasn't aware that you were going to stay 10:1. are you going to tear down the 3.5 when it arrives to rebuild?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Not this year. Maybe that will be the 2015 refresh ha

Owner Since

Thanks
    First update is no bueno.

The JDM engine supplier contacted me to tell me the engine they have in stock didn't pass compression and would not be shipped. It's actually really nice that they did the test and aren't sending it out anyway. OR maybe they don't actually have the engine and it's just a delay tactic.

3SX also contacted me to let me know that they are out of lifters and are expecting a new shipment soon. Shortly after I got a notice that the order has been shipped, so maybe they got them sooner than they expected?

Owner Since
    8/2008

Thanks
    maybe they just created the shipping label to get it ready for when the replacements arrived

sucks to hear about the delay on the engine :C

Owner Since

Thanks
    I can finally update this thread!!

Big bore lifters came from 3sx it seems like forever ago.

Eventually got the quad-tip exhaust from IPS.

I have a new B&M oil cooler (Summit)

Also got my Prosport oil filter adapter plate for a more accurate oil temp reading. (Prosport)

My new -10 turbo drains that I ordered are also sitting on the shelf waiting to be cut to length and installed. I made custom -4 feeds that should have enough length to reach the turbos without issue.

I got the email today that my engine is shipping out today. They took a video of the compression of my actual engine before shipping it.

210ish per cylinder. Seems a bit high to me, they must have squirted some oil in the cylinders first. At least they are all consistent.

I still need to order a water pump and timing belt for it before I drop it in. I was considering doing GZP's preset cam gears unless an alternative drops in my lap.

So now it comes down to my NG decision. The car is going. I borrowed an engine from Mitoska that will drop in no modifications needed and I'll be able to get it running within a day and a half and drive it to NG.

The 3.5 will be cutting it tight, I don't expect to see it realistically before the 13th. I know I have to modify the girdle, I don't know exactly how much I have to grind off, but I already have a 4 bolt oil pan to use. I also already have the fittings to modify the thermostat housing for the turbo coolant lines. I think the only other thing that needs modified is the downpipe. I plan on taking it to a shop to do it so there's another day wasted on it.

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have a set of the preset cam gears I will save you some coin on if interested.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast