Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2014 Refresh/ 6G74TT conversion

YOUUSSS TRROOOLLLIN supporter Feedback Score 0 sketch's Avatar
    Owner Since
    8/2008

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by futurevr4man View Post
    Just to be on the safe side I am asking this:

Does your water neck face the correct direction? It looks like it does (I believe they face the direction that the two bolts are on, as opposed to the one on the other side... like a triangle pattern) but there were some 74's that came with water necks facing the other direction. Rather you think ahead on this, ya know?
    74/72 waterneck comparison

his waterneck:

looks legit to me...can also see the lack of spot for the feed on the far right side compared to the first photo - it looks like the modified 74 neck in the top photo had a spot welded on for the coolant line to plug in on the far right side
    (USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

-jeff

1992 SVX LS-L
    1996 3000GT FWD-TT
    2005 XC90 T6 AWD

i collect parts.

6g74 block : 6g74 crankshaft (for sale!) : 6g75 crankshaft : 6g74/75 forged H-beam rods : 6g75 MIVEC heads : 2x 20G TD05 turbos

DrWeldin Wastegate upgrades : DrWeldin brushed sparkplug cover : Pampena solid rear diff bushings : STM brainded stainless clutch line : GZP remote clutch bleeder : Maximal Performance? T-case bracket : Seattle91VR4 poly motor mounts : front solid motor sound : 98SL ECU w/ Chrome & BlackStealth adapter harness : 3SX O2 simulators : TLE Groundwire kit

Krank Vents (original) : 3.0" GM MAF : 3.75" GM MAF w/ adapter harness : MAFT 1.x : NinjaPerformance remote IAC block : BlackStealth LCD Boost Controller : NinjaPerformance Boost Controller : Dejon split y-pipe : Dejon pre-turbo intake pipes w/ K&N filters : K&N FIPK kit : DSM SMICs : Tim/*GT Custom TD05 SMICs BIGGER THAN YOURS : random tech high-flow cat : M2 exhaust

Jackhammer Dual pump fuel hangar : 2x Aeromotive Stealth 340 fuel pumps : SX -10AN fuel filter : 450cc DSM blacktop injectors : 880cc delphi injectors : Stealthlabel injector quick disconnect clips : custom stainless steel breaded PTFE dual feed fuel setup : Fuelab FPR : Skillard underbody fuel channel

96 Stealth spoiler (original) : 2x Cianci 52mm DS B-pillar gauge pods w/ 1x matching PS blank B-pillar (different manufacturers) : Billet grill : random eBay? strut bar

VR-3747 :D Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) futurevr4man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    just didn't want him to run into this:

rise and rise again until lambs become lions

YOUUSSS TRROOOLLLIN supporter Feedback Score 0 sketch's Avatar
    Owner Since
    8/2008

Thanks
    good call. that would be incredibly unfortunate....did it happen to you?

At least my jackstands are reliable Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Uniuno's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by futurevr4man View Post
    just didn't want him to run into this:
    That would have sucked. I guess there is some luck involved getting the right engine from the importers.

95 Base 3k: 6G74/TT/AWD conversion

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified Feedback Score 0 Alex3000gt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    I think the compression on that motor was 210 because it is naturally aspirated (10:1 compression).

The 8:1 motors are lower

Edit: Just opened the manual.
    6G72 N/A motors shall be 185 psi, minimum 139 psi
    6G72 Turbo motors shall be 156 psi, minimum 115 psi

Not sure if it is different for the 6G74, but I would imagine 10:1 compression is 10:1 compression. As you said, I wouldn't worry about it since it is consistent across all cylinders.
    Last edited by Alex3000gt; 06-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.

'92 3000GT Base ATX converted to MTX - Parted Out
    '91 Stealth ES MTX - Fastest NA FWD at NG11 Drags - SOLD
    '91 Stealth RT/TT Check out my blog
    '10 Jetta TDI MTX - 6 speed: 50MPG Highway
    Rest In Peace, My Brother SGT. R. Evans Taylor: Apr 23 '83 - Oct 14 '11

VR-3747 :D Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) futurevr4man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    good call. that would be incredibly unfortunate....did it happen to you?
    Who do you think took that picture?! Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Uniuno View Post
    That would have sucked. I guess there is some luck involved getting the right engine from the importers.
    I had to piece my engine together... hindsight is 20/20. I made it more difficult than I needed to. But it didn't really cost me a lot more money or anything so whatever...

At least my jackstands are reliable Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Uniuno's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Oil Pan Clearance

There are two ways to go here, grind the girdle to clear a 2nd gen TT pan and drill the block for the dipstick tube, or mod the 74 pan to clear the t-case and turbo oil drains. My research on the subject returned the girdle grind to be the easier method. After doing it now though I am questioning it. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

The 74 pan is a two piece aluminum/steel thing

Unmolested girdle

4-boltyness :-)

While I was in there I replaced the oil pressure bypass spring with a slightly taller one from a VR4 oil pump

My attempt to keep metal fragments out of the engine.

Here I marked where the dipstick relief had to be made

Started by cutting notches

Then ground them out

Still a long way to go

Losing this 90 degree harbor freight tool slowed progress, had to go buy another one. ( I found the old one the next day, go figure)
    I started with a 1/8ish drill bit for a pilot hole, then went to a 7/16 to get all the way through. It's a stepped hole, the tube needs a 25/64 drill bit.

I used rare earth magnets to collect metal shavings.

Dipstick done

Owner Since

Thanks

Oil Pan Clearance (Cont.)

More grinding..

...a lot more

So the girdle is actually just too fat in some places to fit the pan. Right next to the dipstick tube where that hump used to be is where the turbo drain flows into. Had to grind clearance for that to flow as well.

Now to the other side.

I used a cut off wheel to remove the bulk of the metal on this side to clear the t-case. Then cleaned it up with a grinder.

The snout of the pan is a bit narrower on the steel 72 pan so a lot of meat had to be removed

I did my best to clean the metal fragments out of the engine, but I knew no matter how hard I tried there were going to be some in places I couldn't get to. So I lined the bottom of the pan with rare earth magnets. These came from ABS pumps from late model Chryslers.

The aluminum 74 pan flange is thicker than the steel 72 pan, you must use the 72 pan bolts. The 74 bolts are long and will bottom out.

So my NA rear main seal housing and the 74 housing are the same. Apparently the 2nd gen TT rear main seal housing is slightly different. I wasn't able to use those two bolts. I still got decent crush on the RTV so I'm not worried about leaks.

Owner Since

Thanks

Water pump

I ordered the timing belt and water pump together for the DOHC Montero figuring it would all be the same. Sadly I was wrong. The belt, pulleys, and tensionor were all fine, but the water pump didn't match up with the rear housing. It was only one bolt hole off. Actually, it was also missing the boss for the bracket to attach it to the lower intake plenum as well, but as I normally leave that off it wasn't a concern.

The original water pump was super clean and the bearing felt perfect so I used new gaskets and put it back together. I wish I had more time, but this thing is going to NG in just over a week!

Owner Since

Thanks
    Other work completed over the weekend:

Pulled engine out of the car.
    Cleaned engine bay with Grime Reaper (awesome stuff)
    Installed new timing belt, timing pulleys, and GZP preset cam gears (thanks Coop).
    '99 lifters (3sx with tool, the tool is actually really handy, I'm glad I have it now)

Thanks to my buddy Bryan for helping! An extra set of hands while setting timing are extra helpful.

We did find some oil coking in a couple exhaust ports on the heads. I was going to replace the VSS since I have a set laying around, but I figure it's only a matter of time before the factory composite head gaskets give out and I'll be able to change them with the heads off. I really hope it doesn't smoke a whole bunch in the meantime.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast