Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much power before i have tk upgrade

how much power before i have to upgrade

So I'm putting in an alpine double din hu and already have an alpine 4 channel amp to push my Bose deck speakers. I'm debating on going with 2 10/12s or removing my back seat and running 4 10/12s or a combo of 2 10s and 2 12s. Not sure yet. They would be alpine trype Rs pushed by alpine amps. If I go with 4 subs I would use 2 amps or 1 amp on the 2 subs. All sub amps will have a cap. With that said how many watts worth of amps can I run before I have to upgrade the amp and battery or have to add battery's.
    Last edited by Raverthug; 04-28-2014 at 01:57 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    alternator.

Ya, Sorry I was at work while I was posting this. Instead of amp it should say alternator.

Forum User
    Owner Since
    FALL '11

Thanks
    Assuming you have a DOHC engine, you have 110 Amp alternator. I can't remember how big the SOHC is, but I recall it being lower. With no other losses and a typical (inefficient) amp, it would theoretically supply enough constant power to drive about 1100 watts worth of power (amperage * voltage * .75 for efficiency). Factor in that you WILL have other losses, due to wiring resistance, heat, etc. Not to mention that your motor, headlights and accessories will all take away from that. However, you will rarely use a consistent wattage that high and your battery helps absorb some of the peaks.... Basically, make sure your battery and amps are grounded well, use high gauge cable and do all your install stuff, you will probably not want to run over that approximate 1KW mark without more serious work.

Beyond that, please don't mix 10's and 12's...

Jake

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mechman Alternators, High Output Alternators, Built in the USA, Call 1-888-MECHMAN!

one of these is scheduled for my ride as a preventive/safety measure for my build. and that's not even for the audio system.

Cool Thank you

you could always use a upgraded dry cell battery to replace factory and a small one in the system.

Audio Fanatic
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bearded1 View Post
    With no other losses and a typical (inefficient) amp, it would theoretically supply enough constant power to drive about 1100 watts worth of power (amperage * voltage * .75 for efficiency). Keep in mind that music is dynamic, and impedance does rise. As impedance rises, output wattage decreases (forget if its due to amperes or voltage)

Beyond that, please don't mix 10's and 12's... In most cases, this. Commonly, people don't use them together correctly.
    This! Mechman, DC Power, or Singer are the only aftermarket alternators I would even consider. I personally run a Singer 230A.. but looked deeply into the 2 others. Mine has been powering 4000+wrms just fine. I RARELY drop into my reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNBUG79 View Post
    you could always use a upgraded dry cell battery to replace factory and a small one in the system.
    Yes, AGM all day.. Mainly the the facts that they can be safely put in the cabin.. and the fact the rate that they can charge and discharge.

Hypotheticaly if I was to do 10s and 12s. What do you think is the right way vs the wrong way

Forum User
    Owner Since
    FALL '11

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raverthug View Post
    Hypotheticaly if I was to do 10s and 12s. What do you think is the right way vs the wrong way

Right way is don't.

Same brand, same series speakers of different sizes will almost ALWAYS (unless you're talking cheaper knockoff stuff that cuts corners) have different motor specs on them, and at the very least, will ALL have different suspension mechanics and cone stiffness and weight. ALL of these things effect the way they sound and how they interact with their given airspace and input from the amp. In other words, the 12's won't just be louder, they'll almost certainly sound completely different.

Do it once, do it right and be happy. Figure out what positioning gives you the best sound from the cabin gain and fit what you can there. It's all about what makes you happy in the end. If you need mismatched subwoofers and excessive distortion to do that, go for it. But I promise you will be happier in the end, with a well thought out, well designed, matched output and low distortion system.

Jake