Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gauging interest: SmokinVR4 replica boxes BUILT BEFORE SOLD

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 0 Blue91SL's Avatar
    Owner Since
    10-23-08

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Deadd View Post
    Very interested. Would need to see final product.
    The only major difference is that the updated boxes MIGHT curve around the spare tire a little more than the old ones. Otherwise they'll be functionally the same, except these will actually have the connector cups included, which mine did not.

Quote Originally Posted by familyMAN View Post
    Any reason why this style over a simple truck style box behind the back seat pointing rear which also doesn't take up cargo space and would have equal or greater volume if you take the whole space? Does rear facing not work well in a 3S? It's been awhile since I've played with car audio.....
    I'm not actually sure if there's a disadvantage to the type of box you're talking about, but I know if you have a factory six-disc CD changer, it would be in the way. It's also REALLY hard to mount subs in that style box with enough volume or depth. Then you get the people like me who also put their toolbox there, where they don't interere with the trunk space. Those behind the seat boxes are good for a pair of 8s, or a 10. But the 12s are a little much.
    I've considered making those as well, but they weren't that great of quality back then either. I'd have to do more research about those. Also, they interfere with rear strut bars and possibly the sunroof holders.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Im in on one!!! Im really looking forward to getting it!!!

Spaceace60 verified Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    So the internal volume(airspace) would be about .75 on standard? keep in mind when most speakers recommend a .75(which very very few 12's do?(and a few 10's)unless they are a really shallow mount subs! This usually doesn't include speaker displacement either!!(the amount of space the speaker itself takes up in the box!!)which is usually atleast .50/.75 on normal 10's/12's but even more on heavy duty subs such as Jl w7's ect and bigger subs yet! I think these boxes would shine a lot more using 8's(which believe it or not the right ones could really slam!) rule of thumb: a cheap sub in the correct size box will usually sound better than a $1000 sub in the wrong size box!!(probably the number one mistake of newbies!) I would be glad to help anyone needing it as I've been working/tweaking a long time to get the most outta this platform car!(several yrs actually lol!!) these cars have a small trunk area(tough to mount subs in usual manners)and the acoustics inside aren't exactly optimum either!(not so much about being quite ect!,but more about shape of car, lack of carpet/soft materials to absorb sound from bouncing all over ect!)Not to mention all that leather doesn't help the TT models either!!too many reflective surfaces in TT's)(Glass/plastic trim/hard dash/leather seats ect)Trust me it pays to really sound proof these cars!!(remember for every 3db quieter you can make your car is equal to about 50% less power needed to achieve same apparent listening levels!)sound deadners are usually a lot cheaper than more amps and speakers! sorry for being so long winded lol!,just doesn't seem to be a lot of 3si owners into car audio??
    Last edited by spaceace60; 05-30-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: more info

Monogamous Gigolo verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    What is a 3si, a new platform? And who wants to put THAT much weight into a tt 3S

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm interested in something that can run an RF Punch sub, but needs to be light weight. Let me know, tired of no bass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12