Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I single handedly brought our network down last night at work

Large Member
    Owner Since

Thanks

So I single handedly brought our network down last night at work

I was working on a laptop that had been infected by a virus. I copied the data files from the laptop onto a flash drive and then I did a scan of the files to make sure they were clean. Nothing came up. So, I put the flash drive into my computer to copy some drivers onto it.

Little did I know, the file was well hidden and spreads via USB port. So, as soon as I plugged my flash drive into my computer it was on like donkey kong. To make matters worse, I am an administrator so because I have elevated rights it made it easier to spread the virus.

And in case anyone wants to know, it's a variant of the Conficker worm. The network team was here all night trying to clean everything up as best they could be they had to disable the network ports for a lot of machines because they weren't able to remotely clean them.
    2010 Toyota Camry SE
    1998 Honda Accord EX
    --------------------------
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi - Sold (Good riddance!)
    2007 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring - Sold
    2001 Ford Explorer - AWD 5.0L V8 lifted w/ 32" BFG AT K/O's - Sold
    2004 Mazda6s - Sold
    1994 Stealth RT/TT Pearl Yellow - Sold
    1993 Stealth ES Twin Turbo - Sold
    1981 Audi 4000 4E "The Tank" - R.I.P.
    1984 Toyota Corolla Hatchback - Sold

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    well if your gonna do it, do it big!

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

DR-750 club Not Verified
    Owner Since
    I could drive.

Thanks
    Conficker is a fun little guy.
    July 2014 COTM
    We follow the earth. The earth follows the stars. The stars know their way and though the body dies. The stars will remain, like the waves of the sea and restless slate.

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Yeah, in IT classes I remember that it is very important to scan your flash drives as well because that is one of the more common ways to spread viruses. You can include it in the settings in your anti-virus to scan your flash drive.
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Sorry but thats pretty funny ..............It does suck though. Damn thats some damage.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    how are you not patched to stop conflicker? Its like 2.5 years old? You don't patch????

Large Member
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, we're not sure how that happened either. We've been working with our antivirus vendor and they're trying to figure out why their product didn't find/stop it.

Luckily it didn't do any damage. It took us a day to get everything cleaned up, but we're back to normal. We learned a few lessons, so it's actually a good thing this happened.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You are an administrator and this happened on your watch and your boss is ok with this? Now I understand Bill Gates point. I also see why US companies are so willing to find cheaper labor overseas. Listen I was an Air Traffic Controler (retired). If I did an oops someone died. I had to be perfect always. If you did this to the air traffic system I can tell you right now you would be fired and you might be up on charges if someone died. Just giving you an observation from my world.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    well many people don't patch. seriously I patch everything. Its easy, just hit windows update, custom...install, turn your pc off for the night, bam done.

I have seen big dumb companies afraid or too lazy to patch.

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    You are an administrator and this happened on your watch and your boss is ok with this? Now I understand Bill Gates point. I also see why US companies are so willing to find cheaper labor overseas. Listen I was an Air Traffic Controler (retired). If I did an oops someone died. I had to be perfect always. If you did this to the air traffic system I can tell you right now you would be fired and you might be up on charges if someone died. Just giving you an observation from my world.
    Didnt you work like 12 hours shifts and are actually only in the tower for 4 hours because its so stressful? Or something like that?