Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to Jamaica before?

Go Lobos!
    Owner Since
    1999-2009

Thanks

Anyone been to Jamaica before?

Me and my friend are leaving to Montego Bay this Saturday for a week. Im super stoked and really need the break from work/life and am set to relax. I also really want to experience the country and adventure a bit as well but I want her and I to stay safe. Anyone been before? Any advise on the do's/dont's of jamaica?
    1993 Stealth R/T (sold)
    1991 Stealth R/T Turbo (sold)
    1995 3000GT (sold)
    2002 911 Turbo

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Stay with tour groups. Do not try to go out on your own to experience the native Jamaica. Do not carry large cash amounts. Use credit cards or prepaid cards. The resorts have almost everything you will need and are safe and fun. Street vendors can be difficult. If you want to deal with them it can be fun. Wait til they are saying you are taking the clothes off his kids backs then bargin one more time to get best deal. Know your stuff, lots of fake items sold as the real thing. Great deals can be found. On all inclusive resorts do not tip anyone. Bring along some high fashion clothes, the top of the line resturants on the resorts have dress codes, but they do pamper you. My wife and I had 7 waiters just for our table taking care of every need. Be advised most resorts have seperate nude beaches. Do not get too excited mostly older folks on the nude beach.

I love the bar in the pool idea. Room service is excellent, lobster delivered at midnight to your room at your private pool with a musician quite fun. Most of all enjoy.
    The front desk will have a schedule of off site group events for the day. The water fall hikes are fun. Boat trips with a swim are fun. Never tried the bike trip down the mountain or the coffee trip. Heard the bike and road are not in the best condition and injury is possible, so we skipped that. Enjoy the geckos at night they are like our crickets.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I went their when I was 16 with my mom it was fun but I cant help more then that

3000GT of Europe
    www.3sofeu.org/main
    Cherry Hill Mitsubishi Coupon Code- 3SE

three words ... Dunn's River Falls

Go Lobos!
    Owner Since
    1999-2009

Thanks
    Hey thanks a ton for the info Hammer and I've definitely heard good things about the Dunn's River falls. How reliable and easy is public transportation?

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    Hammer hit the nail on the head. *rimshot*

Wife & I got married in Montego Bay. Going back next yr for our 10 yr anniversary.

Public transportation...OMFG, I suggest you pop a vallium lol, these people drive like maniac rally drivers. Even a full size tour bus, they will pass anyone at any time. Fun, but scary at times. Seemed like every other billboard was something to do with speeding, haha. "Undertakers love overtakers" is the one that sticks out in my head.

Yes, Dunn's River Falls is a must.

Where are you staying?

Jeremy

Go Lobos!
    Owner Since
    1999-2009

Thanks
    Thats awesome! Must have a special place in your heart . The Grand Palladium. Seems like a nice resort, 4 star all-inclusive.
    http://www.grandpalladiumjamaicaresort.com/
    Any other must sees there?
    Last edited by Stealthdriver; 10-07-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Chris said ninjas don't fall down.
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Stay with tour groups. Do not try to go out on your own to experience the native Jamaica. Do not carry large cash amounts. Use credit cards or prepaid cards. The resorts have almost everything you will need and are safe and fun. Street vendors can be difficult. If you want to deal with them it can be fun. Wait til they are saying you are taking the clothes off his kids backs then bargin one more time to get best deal. Know your stuff, lots of fake items sold as the real thing. Great deals can be found. On all inclusive resorts do not tip anyone.

+11ty billion.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    Public transportation...OMFG, I suggest you pop a vallium lol, these people drive like maniac rally drivers. Even a full size tour bus, they will pass anyone at any time. Fun, but scary at times. Seemed like every other billboard was something to do with speeding, haha. "Undertakers love overtakers" is the one that sticks out in my head.

Yes, Dunn's River Falls is a must.
    tada.

I think between the two of them, they covered everything you need to know to have a great trip.

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    Oh yeah, definitely the best time of my life.

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay, which is where we will be going back to. We picked it due to being ultra all inclusive(tipping is prohibited and you can have whatever you want at any time), couples only, NO kids. We found out that all inclusive is not equal across the board when we went to the Moon Palace in Cancun. Only a few restaurants and all were a la carte. List of approved drinks, and tips were a must. Sandals totally spoiled us. My wife was always referred to as princess or me lady. A team of wait staff always around, pulling out your chair, placing your napkin in your lap, playing music, etc. Just an awesome expereince all around.

We took a catamarand boat trip to go snorkeling, and went to Dunns River. Beyond that, there was so much going on at the resort we didn't feel compelled to leave. Jamaica is awesome, you'll have a blast.

Jeremy

Go Lobos!
    Owner Since
    1999-2009

Thanks
    My staff pharmacist went to the Sandals Montego Bay for her honeymoon. Had a very similar experience it seems to yours, but they spent like 4-5K! This girl im going with found a sweet deal for $600 each which includes flight and the 6 night stay. Definitely want to check out the nicer resorts in the future but perhaps someone Im a bit more serious with Anyways, thanks again for all the sweet advise, Ill try to bring back some work safe pictures