Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TD05 Turbocharger Gaskets sizes

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

TD05 Turbocharger Gaskets sizes

Just a quick question or maybe a few. I have MHI Big 16G's, however the gasket for the turbine/O2 housing is slightly smaller than the opening. Which is the correct one to get? Also noticed on Ebay the cometic copper gaskets for the manifold/turbine housing. Any thoughts on copper vs the SS ones that are on there now?

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The gasket should not protrude to the inside of the turbine housing.

I personally prefer copper gaskets and I always put copper spray on any turbo gaskets whether they are new / used / copper / or any other material but that's just me.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    As a side note do any of you find it benificial to ceramic coat the turbine housings?

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patryn View Post
    As a side note do any of you find it benificial to ceramic coat the turbine housings?
    Yes. I wish I would have done mine. It will lower the engine bay temperatures although how much I can't quantify, but they won't put off as much heat. Plus, they look much better too. After sitting exposed to the air for a few months mine have rusted on the car. They look out of place now because of the rust and I wish I would have spent the money for ceramic coating for both the looks and lower temperatures coming off the turbine housings. My manifolds are ceramic coating so they're not rusting. I want to say it's only $150 to have an exhaust housing ceramic coated which isn't too bad. It may be $200 but I know it's somewhere around there.
    95 RT/TT Billet TD04s E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416/485, 3" FMIC, single small Krank vent, DR 3.5" downpipe and cat-back, DNP 02 housings, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCDBC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Spec 3+ clutch, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock motor 127k miles, stock drivetrain.

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just use VHT spray. If it is cured correctly it works just the same. I used to powder coat and ceramic coat, did it on and off for a few years.

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
    Just use VHT spray. If it is cured correctly it works just the same. I used to powder coat and ceramic coat, did it on and off for a few years.
    So when you followed the heating and cooling cycling recommended in the instructions it never flaked off on you at all? I had a friend that used VHT flameproof on his truck headers and about 2 years later some of it is peeling off. He followed the instructions but maybe he didn't get it prepped good enough. I don't know.

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The key is the prep work. It basically ceramic in a spray can. If the part is not 100% free of any contaminants it is going to act like paint and not stick or eventually peal off. I used VHT on a set of tubular headers on my old KA't I had in my 240...ran it for a while and never had a problem other than it fading over a long period of time. I also sandblasted them and put them through a chemical bath.

Also, I have all my heat shields on my Vr4 Ceramic Coated and I've obviously had to remove them many time's....soo I'll use VHT to touch up scrap marks, never had a problem with that either but they where prepped the same way.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    16g's use the 7cm gasket http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...bine_inlet.htm

-Austin@STM

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    He's looking for the other gasket, the one between the turbine outlet and the O2 housing.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BaadVR4 View Post
    He's looking for the other gasket, the one between the turbine outlet and the O2 housing.
    Sorry, heres the one you want for that.
    http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._o2_gasket.htm