Thread: Clear(wire) 4G WiMAX

Member verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) blindmist's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks

Clear(wire) 4G WiMAX

So I have an account with Clear here in Lubbock. I never used it when I first got it because of a situation with an ex.

Regardless, I received a phone call from Clear asking if I wanted to upgrade my account and they would uncap it. I am assuming the were only offering this because I literally had maybe 100mb transfer over the 3 months that I had it at this time.

So now I am at 13.1MBPS vs. 6MBPS, I also got the USB modem thrown in there for free. I am paying a total of $54 month at the end of it all.

They are really shooting themselves in the foot now. Each month for the past 3 I have had 100+GB worth of transfer.

Gotta love contracts...

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    nice. wimax ftw.

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    I thought about going with them, but couldn't find too much info on them locally. One guy did a review, said he was getting about 5mb download at home, for $55 a month, and he also had the mobile option too. I went with TimeWarnerCable... I can't stand them, but you can't beat cable internet bang for the buck. I get 13-15mb for $30 a month.

Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    I thought about going with them, but couldn't find too much info on them locally. One guy did a review, said he was getting about 5mb download at home, for $55 a month, and he also had the mobile option too. I went with TimeWarnerCable... I can't stand them, but you can't beat cable internet bang for the buck. I get 13-15mb for $30 a month.
    Well when you consider MOBILE 13MBPS for $55 its fucking great!

I don't know how you can get the uncapped as a new customer though... I am the only Clear customer that I know of that has 13.1MBPS

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Yeah, most of the reviews I saw (only one local review in my area with the 5mb download) said they get between 3-4mb. Honestly, that's probably fast enough for most web stuff, but it definitely isn't fast enough for online gaming, which I may do on occasion. I saw a lot of complaints about dropped connections and stuff too, I think I may reevaluate in a year or so after they've put up more towers. Apparently there was supposed to be a tower about a half mile from my new house, but the neighborhood forced them to move it somewhere else.

Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    Yeah, most of the reviews I saw (only one local review in my area with the 5mb download) said they get between 3-4mb. Honestly, that's probably fast enough for most web stuff, but it definitely isn't fast enough for online gaming, which I may do on occasion. I saw a lot of complaints about dropped connections and stuff too, I think I may reevaluate in a year or so after they've put up more towers. Apparently there was supposed to be a tower about a half mile from my new house, but the neighborhood forced them to move it somewhere else.
    I have a friend that has a 6MBPS account and gets a steady 4.8MBPS. If you do make the switch, you should see if you can get it uncapped. I really have no idea how one would go about getting the to uncap it. Like I said, I got offered a deal from them over the phone. I originally had the 6MBPS plan, I think they only upgraded me to "rip" me off more because they thought I wouldn't use it because I hadn't for the 3 months I already paid for it.