Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90

Thread: 19T + e85 too much for stock bottom?

  1. #41
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    622
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    I've always run 15w50 (Silkolene Pro4 fully synthetic).

    Unfortunately last year I blew an engine to pieces on nitrous (my own fault!), and after stripping it down I was amazed how good the main and big end bearings looked. A real shame as that engine was a peach, beat on it at 30psi for years with no issues.

    I would have no hesitation in running 50 weight oils a d if Ray has recomended it then all the better!.
    GTO-TT, PTE 1200's, M20, Emanage Ultimate, OS Geiken R3C,
    TD04-16g`s, Maf-t. 13g`s 12.4@115mph / 16g`s 12.5@117mph.

  2. #42
    I don't bite
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Southern IN
    Posts
    1,996
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 98 Times in 80 Posts
    ^you are obviously lying. 50w oil destroys engines on startup.
    1992 Kilder Green VR4 - First 4G swap in a 3S. 2.0, auto, awd. 9.65 at 143mph. Now LS swapped. 8.52 at 162.

  3. #43
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    ~2006

    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA/Wheeling, WV
    Posts
    867
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Do you guys really think oil makes that big of a difference? If it is built right and tuned right I bet you could put in Advanced Auto brand oil 10W-40 and be fine. If you road course then maybe a fake synthetic and a big FMOC.

    I used to try to figure out the best oil and make a big deal out of it.. Now I just buy whatever is on sale. As long as it is clean and full I am happy.

  4. #44
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Fast View Post
    I read the amazon advertisement you linked in. You should read the one from the manufacture, I posted it. At 35 degrees F ambient the viscosity of VR-1 20w-50 is over 1200cSt, which is equivalent to sucking jello thru a straw. At 70 degrees it's basically lifts as easily as trying to sip a milkshake with a coffee stirrer. I have two final words regarding that... Kinematic Viscosity. That oil offers nothing for protection until it reaches an operating temperature of 120+ degrees. It's for setups where you very rarely turn your engine off and where weather is always warm.
    Something about this post was bugging me, and I did not figure out what till now.

    Viscosity ratings are an industry standard. You sir are full of shit with that statement. 20w-50 is a Winter blend where it is measured in low temps at the lower viscosity number.

    Where are you pulling these jello/milkshake consistencies from?

    Sent from the Man Cave!

    *\( ^o^ )/*

    Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

  5. #45
    Low & Slow verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    Fortson, GA
    Posts
    577
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 39 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopKill View Post
    Something about this post was bugging me, and I did not figure out what till now.

    Viscosity ratings are an industry standard. You sir are full of shit with that statement. 20w-50 is a Winter blend where it is measured in low temps at the lower viscosity number.

    Where are you pulling these jello/milkshake consistencies from?

    Sent from the Man Cave!

    *\( ^o^ )/*
    Huh? 20W is the viscosity it was measured in cold temperature (don't remember the exact temp off the top of my head, I think 0*F) and 50 is the viscosity that was measured in heat, I think 212*F. Multiviscosity oils act differently in different temperatures to aid in both cold startup and hot operation. 20W-50 would not be considered by the industry as a winter blend. Low viscosity (thinner) oils would be best in the cold and higher viscosity (thicker) oils would be better in the heat. IMO, there is a point where the deficiencies of high viscosity oil outweigh the benefits and vice versa. The FSM specifies for turbo cars at 60*F and below to run 5W-30. 10W-30 is recommended from -10* to 120*F+. 20W-40 is recommended from 32* to 120*F+. Their interests were mostly for fuel economy not performance though. Low viscosity = colder weather, high viscosity = hotter weather.

    This thread began in February so I assume it's still winter everywhere and why I originally posed the viscosity question. I personally wouldn't run 20W-50 in any condition but, that is my opinion. 10W-30 has protected my bearings just fine over the years and as anyonebutme said go with what you like and change frequently.

    Jeff

  6. #46
    Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    6/2005

    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    730
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts
    Just pulled this from the shop manual.



    /Oil Discussion>

  7. #47
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kywhitelightning View Post
    Huh? 20W is the viscosity it was measured in cold temperature (don't remember the exact temp off the top of my head, I think 0*F) and 50 is the viscosity that was measured in heat, I think 212*F. Multiviscosity oils act differently in different temperatures to aid in both cold startup and hot operation. 20W-50 would not be considered by the industry as a winter blend. Low viscosity (thinner) oils would be best in the cold and higher viscosity (thicker) oils would be better in the heat. IMO, there is a point where the deficiencies of high viscosity oil outweigh the benefits and vice versa. The FSM specifies for turbo cars at 60*F and below to run 5W-30. 10W-30 is recommended from -10* to 120*F+. 20W-40 is recommended from 32* to 120*F+. Their interests were mostly for fuel economy not performance though. Low viscosity = colder weather, high viscosity = hotter weather.

    This thread began in February so I assume it's still winter everywhere and why I originally posed the viscosity question. I personally wouldn't run 20W-50 in any condition but, that is my opinion. 10W-30 has protected my bearings just fine over the years and as anyonebutme said go with what you like and change frequently.

    Jeff
    Yes what was the huh for? This is exactly what I was saying. My reply was to his assertion that at lower temps the oil is thick as hell.

  8. #48
    Banned J. Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 200 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopKill View Post
    Yes what was the huh for? This is exactly what I was saying. My reply was to his assertion that at lower temps the oil is thick as hell.
    Alright, let's all calm down and have a rational conversation before we toss another discussion in the shitter. This can be a good thread. I apologize if my previous forwardness rubbed some folks the wrong way. I'll try to change my wording so it doesn't stir some ridiculous argument and emotion.

    Bill, the major things I look at when I'm going after an oil are the KV100 (Kinematic Viscosity), above 10. MRV-TP (Mini Rotary Viscometer Test procedure), LOW. CCS (Cold Cranking Simulation shear), LOW. Flash COC above 400 degrees F... HT/HV (High Temperature Shear Viscosity), above 3.

    Higher viscosity oils characteristically have higher oil pressure, a consequence of this is higher oil temperature. Because the laws of physics prevail in all things, as a result of the increase in oil pressure and temperature the volume of oil lifted off the oil pump is lower. Lower viscosity says... lower pressure, lower temperature, higher oil volume.

    The Cold Cranking Simulation rating for the VR-1 (street use) 20w-50 is 8000cP @ -15C (5F).
    Pour point is -24C (-11).
    MRTV -TP is 27,000cP @ -20C (-4F).

    Cold Cranking simulation rating for Mobil 1 5w-30 is 4000cP @ -15C (5F).
    • The VR-1 has double the oil pressure at equivalent temperature. Double oil pressure translates to half as much oil volume to the engine when cold cranking. It's best to select an oil with the lowest CCS rating in below freezing weather because it provides the most volume of oil which means the engine protection package is distributed faster.


    Pour point for the VR-1 is down to -11F
    Pour point for 5w-30 is -40F



    VR-1 isn't even rated to pour out in the middle of the U.S. right now. It was just -15 degrees here in Denver a few days ago.

    The MRV-TP is double that of 5w-30. which is around 13,500cP at -4F.


    These three things tell us how a given oil will pour, lift, and drain. The crazy high MRV-TV number illustrates you can lift VR-1 with 27,000cP at -5F, unfortunately it doesn't drain back to pan very well in middle America because it's rated to pour at -11. 20w-50 might not workout that well for everyone when you look at the temperature map.

  9. #49
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2000

    Posts
    1,241
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
    sure that info is also in owners manual..



    1999 Italy spec 3000gt vr-4 owners manual


    1996 vr-4 spyder owners manual



    http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/one-reas...ht-oil-383446/
    Last edited by mb7050; 02-08-2014 at 11:13 PM.

  10. #50
    Forum User Not Verified

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Cape Girardeau
    Posts
    4,791
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 296 Times in 214 Posts
    That's great man, but my garage never gets below freezing and really if it is 35 or something like that the stealth is staying home because there is probably salt on the road. I also hate to break it to you, but your "feels like temp" is the windchill. I don't think the car cares about the windchill roflamo.

    It is 30 degrees here FYI and about 50 in my insulated garage.

    Threads like these are what drive me to think two or three times before posting. You can't offer any sort of advice to anyone without an army of naysayers. Run whatever oil you want. I'm not sure what the big issue is anyway, it comes in 10w30, run that in the winter. Is it that hard?

    Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • History
  • Information
  • Groups
  • Events
  • Resources
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net