Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil filter options

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I find it hard to believe that the Canton filters are that bad. They are used in almost all exotic cars, well, not the Canton brand but almost the exact same style, a replaceable element filter.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
    If I keep my car, I am going to use the same system as the 97 911TT, its a dual filter system...

or

I'll just use a Canton system.
    I wouldn't use the Canton. I just spent the day with Ray Pampena and some other friends at the Dyno. He doesn't seem to recommend them. I believe they just aren't compatible with the 6g72 and can cause insufficient oil pressure/flow. I can tell you one thing, never ever use a fram. Saw the results 1st hand today. Just order some stock ones, they are proven. That's what Ray recommended. I'll be ordering some tomorrow.

Edit: BTW if you can't get a stock one I think he said purolator was good.
    Last edited by green-lantern; 10-07-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    good thoughts

how about K&N thats what I´m using ?

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mb7050 View Post
    good thoughts

how about K&N thats what I´m using ?
    When you get into brands, it's all about the efficiency rating. Purolator has a 99.9% efficiency rating at catching things above 11-15 microns, 97.5% efficiency below 15 microns and 50% efficiency at 5 microns. Less efficient filters most likely trap little below 15 microns.

From all the data I can find, so far, as far as brands are concerned the order goes like this:

1. Amsoil

2. WIX

3. Mobile 1
    ↑↓these 2 have pretty much the same exact specs.
    4. Pure 1 (Purolator)

5. K&N

6. Others and below.

The above is just based on brands and data based on the brand. What I am after is a filter that gives more capacity basically. The more filter area you have, the best chance at catching things. Like I have stated before, I am after a reason that causes the 6G series engines to fail prematurely as it does not make logical sense for an engine to fail at such a young age when engines of its same style last twice as long. Everyone with a 3000GT knows how rare it is for a 3000GT to surpass 170km without an engine issue, I cannot name a single one though they do exist. Now the only logical explanation for this, that I can find, is that the oiling system has a slight fault and in comparison to other cars filters and filter specs, ours are below almost all other cars.
    Last edited by Mean Green; 10-08-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
    When you get into brands, it's all about the efficiency rating. Purolator has a 99.9% efficiency rating at catching things above 11-15 microns, 97.5% efficiency below 15 microns and 50% efficiency at 5 microns. Less efficient filters most likely trap little below 15 microns.

From all the data I can find, so far, as far as brands are concerned the order goes like this:

1. Amsoil

2. WIX

3. Mobile 1
    ↑↓these 2 have pretty much the same exact specs.
    4. Pure 1 (Purolator)

5. K&N

6. Others and below.

The above is just based on brands and data based on the brand. What I am after is a filter that gives more capacity basically. The more filter area you have, the best chance at catching things. Like I have stated before, I am after a reason that causes the 6G series engines to fail prematurely as it does not make logical sense for an engine to fail at such a young age when engines of its same style last twice as long. Everyone with a 3000GT knows how rare it is for a 3000GT to surpass 170km without an engine issue, I cannot name a single one though they do exist. Now the only logical explanation for this, that I can find, is that the oiling system has a slight fault and in comparison to other cars filters and filter specs, ours are below almost all other cars.
    I use Amsoil 10w30 Full Synthetic with a Purlator PureONE and have had the best results ever. Great oil pressure and always clean oil. I used Amsoil Filter before the Purlator PureONE, and the oil would be black as could be. With the PureONE, it still has an amber color to it at the change of 9000 miles on the Amsoil.

I've always been interested in a remote dual filter set up. Probably not all that hard to make from Jegs or Summit parts...then you have dual filtration AND can use what ever filter(s) you want.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have always wondered why our oil filter is so god damn small..
    Last edited by mb7050; 10-08-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    This is where my filter currently resides:

I suppose you could do something similar and put pretty much anything in it's place. I have an oil-cooler in-line before the filter, so if it were to clog for some reason, my engine would be screwed. This seems like a pretty unlikely event though.

Oh- that junk fram filter was only on there to prime and "rinse" the engine.
    Last edited by RL7; 10-08-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Went with a canton oil filter myself. I liked the idea of the oil not bypassing the filtered. Oil pressure seemed to improve at idle.
    Last edited by Patryn; 10-08-2010 at 05:17 PM.