1 7.14%
  • Other - please specify

3 21.43%
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: EOI - Group Buy 280KM/H Speedo

SoSoCal verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    stupid question, are the GTO's in Japan in Miles too?

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    No duttch all JDM is in KM/H and they only go as far as 180km/h This thread was a result of a lot of research on how to get around this. It has been a long process to get it perfect. Hopefully with this latest part I can do this properly.
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

SoSoCal verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I will have to ask the previous owner if he changed it over, mine is a true Jap GTO.Weird. Maybe i should have a peak under that white cover on it huh lol. So I can assume that the 52000 is kilometers right not miles.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    A common "upgrade" in the JDM cars is to install a USDM speedo/cluster which then gives them the appearance that they have a 280km/h speedo but unless they cut pin 66 on the ecu then the ecu will still limit the speed. Or use the method described earlier in this thread or a HKS SLD. But they drawback is that for all of these methods it will log the odo in miles. If the entire cluster has been replaced with a USDM one then you can't trust the numbers on it.
    The other possibility is that they have simply installed white mph faces over the top so they have white dials but have not changed the electronics. But that would be prety obvious to tell. If the need is on 60mph and your doing 60km/h then they have just swapped the face over.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    180mph and 180km/h PCBs

280km/h PCB

280km/h speedo face

So far going off photos only I can see very few differences.

The switching on the 280km unit is the same as the 180mph unit. All the other modifications appear to be the same as the mph unit except J1 [jumper] is not used. I will confirm this and all the resistor and capacitor values etc tonight but it looks like the conversion process will be the same as converting from 180km to 180mph but don't install the jumper accross J1.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    OK I just confirmed that this works I already had the modified PCB installed so I simply cut the jumper I soldered accross J1 and went for a drive. odo now reads in kms and the speedo works like normal woo hoo.... but it wasn't all good. half way back home my clutch died. I noticed earlier in the day it was feeling wierd then tonight I changed gears and the clutch went in and the pedal came back but the clutch master appears to be stuck. Got home though with no clutch.

Will create another thread about the clutch.

So just to recap this one.

Follow the instructions already posted to convert the 180km/h speedo to teh 180mph speedo but do NOT install the jumper accross J1

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    OK next step.

Obviously a few of you guys have purchased the "GTOJOE Speedo Conversion Kit" previously. With this modification to your existing PCB you can use the new face and get a true KM/h speedo. However...... if you are still running the stock ECU you will still need to somehow remove the speed limit as that is controlled by the ECU.
    To do this you have 3 options.
    Option 1: You can cut the wire to pin 66 of your ECU and your done. But there has been some discussion about this method on various forums and it's thought to be a bad idea as it can be used to control idle and has something to do with the fan controls. But many people have done this and claimed to have no adverse effects at all.
    Option 2: Purchase a HKS SLD Type I as it is desighned to defeat the speed limit in JDM cars. John [aka DumbRural] has done this in his 99 MR TT with a EuroSpec 280km/h speedo also.
    Option 3: Use the converter chip that was part of the kit in the same sort of method as the HKS SLD. To do this we need to install the converter chip directly before the ECU on pin 66 instead of on the gearbox mounted speed sensor. What this will do is then only effect the speedo signal going to the ECU and not effect other things that use the speed signal like the ECS, AA and cruise etc.

However option 3 is as yet untested as I am running a standalone ECU so the speed limit is no longer an issue and I do not have the ability to test it. So we need a test car to do this to. But I cannot see any reason why it won't work.

Also as I have an electronics/electrical background I am confident with a soldering iron and found this whole process quite easy. But I understand that not everyone has experience with this sort of thing and may not be willing to modify their speedo PCB in case of damage.

So I am willing to offer my services for this part. I have a spare PCb so I can do an exchange type setup. I will modify the board and send it to you. You then have to send me your board so I can modify that and move to the next person. However as I am out of pocket for this whole process I need to recoup some losses.

So if you purchased the kit previously [which I did not actually make money of and lost money on] I will do an exchange for the tiny fee of $15.00 plus postage back to you. If you did not purchase the kit previously and are starting from scratch I will do it for $25.00 plus postage which is still a farcry from the cost of a genuine unit. I will create a 2nd post on how to go about getting a new speedo face if you don't already have the one from my kit.

If anyone thinks the fee is too high please let me know

Cheers,

Joe

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Autopsycho View Post
    Chipping in from India - Got the 280kph dials and they are awesome! Can't wait to install them and a big thanks to Joe for organizing the group buy and mailing them half way back.

Oh and sorry aussies for the a** whooping (in the cricket world cup if anyone is following lol)
    Sorry right back at you You guys got your arses handed to you