Thread: Spun bearing vr4....Need opinions

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Spun bearing vr4....Need opinions

Well ive got an SL right now, love it but ive always wanted a VR4. Found a 93 white with red leather locally, spun a bearing in the motor. Ive got it set to buy for 1500. Is it worth it? Im not really sure how big of a job it is. I have a fully stocked shop with a lift so tools arent a problem.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pea_jay View Post
    Well ive got an SL right now, love it but ive always wanted a VR4. Found a 93 white with red leather locally, spun a bearing in the motor. Ive got it set to buy for 1500. Is it worth it? Im not really sure how big of a job it is. I have a fully stocked shop with a lift so tools arent a problem.
    Bearing material can and does get into everything. So consider buying a new short block, new oil coolers, new turbos. Clean or buy new oil lines to the turbos.
    Depending on miles rebuilt heads also. The oil passages in the crank can even hold bearing material. Many people have rebuilt a motor with a spun bearing only to have it happen again within 5,000 miles because of this. The other problem is dented oil pans which restrict oil flow thru the oil pickup tube which can lead to future spun bearing problems. So check that oil pan for dents. Using a floor jack under the oil pan is a big no no. If you are rebuilding it you might as well do the 120k mile tuneup also new water pump,oil pump,timing belt,etc. Maybe 6k to 7k in parts total.
    Just to go back to stock. Then what maybe 80 hours of labor for a first timer pulling the motor and rebuild and reinstall said motor. But you do have the shop and most of the tools I gather. So what do you think? Take shortcuts at your own risk. Most shortcuts wind up very expensive.

I would never reuse the oil lines and oil cooler and turbos from an engine with a spun bearing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer For This Useful Post:

Rice Patrol verified Feedback Score 0 Mean Green's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Buy a JDM motor with a warranty, inspect the bearings, if they look just even slightly scored, replace them with OE style or send it back under the warranty. When I say scored, I mean is there any copper visible on the bearings at all.

Owner Since

Thanks
    talked to him today, and he has a 96 vr4 motor with 50k miles. All for 2500. Is it a big job swapping motors in these cars?

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Depends on your mechanical ability. I say with the shop you have its not bad.