Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Returning to stock ... considering something I never thought possible

Devoted Darkling Feedback Score 0 ukyo's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Returning to stock ... considering something I never thought possible

I'm currently working to return my more or less perfect 1994 3000GT VR-4 to stock. I have most of the intake tract apart and I have 3 of 4 bolts off the precat to the rear turbo. Basically I did everything up top today and I'm going to pull everything underneath on Thursday. My rear 9B is good, so it's going back on. The front 9B is good, too, but it has 3 broken studs. I don't know how to get them out, especially since one is broken flush. Obviously I had no intention of ever putting the 9Bs back on, since I don't remember the studs breaking in the first place. Bygones...

Why put the 9Bs back on? Good question. Modified cars really don't bring any more money on the resell market over stock cars. There... I finally typed it out loud. For the first time in over a decade I'm considering being 3/S-less. It comes down to a simple issue...

We have 3 cars and a 2 car garage. I don't want to park the VR-4 outside. She doesn't want to park the Supra outside. Neither of use want to park the 335i outside. So... one of them has to go. The Supra would fetch more money on the market. It's one 1 of 34 ever built same year same options. It's not your run of the mill red / black / white Supra. This is an honest to goodness 1997 Royal Sapphire Pearl Supra Twin Turbo. You can't just open up AutoTrader and get one of these. They are very, very rare. My VR-4 is rare, too, but not to the degree the Supra is. So, with that in mind, it makes sense to me to sell the VR-4 and keep the Supra. We can't buy another one like this if we decide to sell it. That is just not going to happen. However, I can buy another 1994 - 1999 VR-4 with basically petty cash any time in the future if I feel I need another one (i.e. once we get a house with a 3 car garage).

So, I have to weigh the pros and cons....

First the VR-4. It needs a turbo rebuild. It smokes on decel and the PCV did not fix it. One of the turbos is dumping oil in to the exhaust. I suspect the rear, and I'll have the stock 9B back there come Thursday of this week. I'm going to drive it a few days with the mismatch turbos to see if that cures the issue. If not, the front will come off, as well.

The issue(s) with selling the VR-4:

1. It's the only manual we have
    2. It's actually fun to work on
    3. I haven't been 3/S-less in over a decade
    4. I understand 3/S cars and how to work on them

The good part to selling the VR-4:

1. We keep the Supra
    2. We get the additional ~$12K or so a car of this level will fetch
    3. We free up a garage bay for the 335i
    4. I won't be buying shit to install on it I never get around to installing
    5. My wife can't drive a stick shift. When the 335i breaks down she will be car-less

The issue(s) with selling the Supra:

1. We can't buy another one like it. Not going to happen
    2. I'll want to replace it with a NSX
    3. I know this car and what is going on with it
    4. Did I mention we can't just buy another one like it???
    5. It's an auto, so my wife not only can drive it, she likes driving it (she liked it a lot more prior to the 335i)

The good part to selling the Supra:

1. It will sell for a stupid amount of money (think $30K or more)
    2. We free up a garage bay for the 335i

So pros and cons exposed... I think I have to return the VR-4 to stock and sell it at this point. Can someone find a fault in keeping the Supra over the VR-4???

If you really are curious, selling one of the cars is going to serve two purposes. We are going to free up a garage bay and we are going to use the cash to make our back yard more or less an outdoor paradise, usable 365 days a year.

Arggghhhhh... If we would have just bought a house with a 3 car garage to start with I wouldn't have to make this choice.

So... Should I keep the Supra or the VR-4? At this point the 335i is her car (even though I am still going to sneak a JB3 in to it at some point). I have to decide what is going to be "his" car. :drums fingers: I honestly like working on my VR-4. I think it's the easiest car to work on I have ever turned a wrench on, and that includes my former 1997 GSX. I've never... NEVER liked working on the Supra. I have a scar on my knuckle from that MFing car to remind me of our relationship. But... she is rare. Rare to the point that I think it makes more sense to keep her over the VR-4.

Opinions???
    Last edited by ukyo; 10-05-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    2017 Chevy Volt: Daily Beater - More range, more savings!
    2015 335i Sedan M Sport: Replacing the 2007 335i... may it R.I.P.
    1994 3000GT VR-4: 12.835 @ 109.40 (stock injectors...) still have it... for now...
    2007 335i Sedan: Totaled while sitting at a red light...
    1997 Supra TT: Gone to the land of the Red Wings

"The world might end the night might fall :: Rain on down and cover us all :: And drown us with the burdens of our sins" -- Shirley Manson
    "I'm very, very famous. Not a lot of people know that." -- Geoff Achison

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    sell both; buy an auto NSX.

Twin Turbo verified Feedback Score 5 (100%) GTOJOE's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sell the Supra as it will net you more money to use on your backyard and pay for a DR750 upgrade. Then teach the wife how to drive "stick"
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    screw driving stick. sell the getrag & it will PAY FOR for atx conversion.

VR-3747 :D Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) futurevr4man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    so let me get this straight...

not only is the vr4 your more liked car, but the supra will also give you more money? and you are concerned about finding another one?? why? you have one and dont like it. and if its as nice as you say then you arent going to find one you like more because it would be the equivalent of downgrading...

you answered your own question, and this is not coming from one of the vr4 nutswingers. i love supras and would have a hard time selling either car, but if i had to choose (depending on mods, time and money involved, and overall condition of the car) i would most of the time take the vr4.

keep the vr4. you like it more. and you will get more money in your pocket. either way the 335 gets a garage spot, and the wife cant take the vr4 on any joy rides . IF the 335 breaks down, you can find some other temporary solution. PLUS with getting more money to work on your backyard, you will increase the value of your house, and probably get most of that money right back out of it. so its really a win win.
    rise and rise again until lambs become lions

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    sounds like the 335i has got to go

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sell the supra and buy a truck to park outside, haul crap. and act as a back-up car. Regardless of if they are faster or slower than a manual, auto sports cars are cheesy, we all know that, even if we don't admit it. And that's not super biased, I currently drive an auto TT. I like it and it's not going anywhere, but I often find the atx making me miss driving the stick M3 I'm selling. I personally like having a car, truck, and a bike to cover all bases and make sure I'm never without transportation.

you know you like it Not Verified Feedback Score 0 Chris GTO TT's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sell the wife?

Or teach the wife to drive stick?

In reality I'd lean towards selling the supra simply because you would get more money and you dont seem interested in getting another one.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Can you add on to the garage? Make one stall 2 cars deep maybe? Just thinking outside the box.

Rice Patrol verified Feedback Score 0 Mean Green's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Extend your garage...lol...problem solved.

I see more Supra's than I do VR4's to be totally honest.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast