Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Quick Clutch Help

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    When you are adjusting the pedal are you checking for proper freeplay?

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, im following instructions in the popular youtube video that was posted a while back. I was getting worried about the rear main seal again, but when the flywheel was off I remember there being no signs of leaking, or oil anywhere in the assembly.
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 12-31-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Now I really dont know what is going on. Ill post a video with current symptoms tomorrow night after work.
    Edit: cant seem to duplicate the symptom tonight, felt in between the clutch slipping and severe wheel hop. Checked my solid mounts and everything seems ok. Either way, the car feels solid as hell so im just going to cross my fingers. If its anything like my last problem im sure it will come back, but we will see.
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 01-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Update: All has been fine, a few weeks ago I had the clutch un-adjust itself in traffic two days in a row. I adjusted properly again and the problem seems to have gone away for now, car is fine and drives beautifully.

I was just checking some random things today, including the clutch pedal free play. This time, when pushing the clutch pedal in there were two LOUD distinctive clunks. Its definitely coming from the clutch assembly, fork, or release bearing. I can feel each one very easily in the clutch pedal, I removed the rubber bellhousing vents and can not feel it as strongly while touching the pressure plate as I can while touching the clutch fork. Cellphone Video:

Honestly I dont even think those were there on my drive this morning. Its down right terrifying to feel.

EDIT: scratch that. still there. kind of scary, car almost stalled out on me and ran rough (shaking the car) for a 1/4 mile earlier today, on an unrelated note.
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 02-07-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Clutch pedal still un-adjusting itself, softer and low engagement while starting up, harder and high engagement later. It will be like this for a few days but wont need adjustment, then suddenly over the course of one day it will move so high I get locked out of gear. Clutch rod itself is not moving from where I left it. Have been adjusting it on the side of the road 3 times in 3 or 4 days now.

Also will occasionally get overheating issues causing slippage in low gears. Other times I can go WOT in first and spin my tires. Clunking / Popping noise described above is also intermittent.

I found a thread on 3si from like 6 years ago explaining the same issue with the clutch adjustment, could not tell if replacing the master cylinder fixed the issue or not. This master is only a couple thousand miles old =[

Just an update, will try a really good bleed sometime this weekend, if that doesnt fix it another master cylinder will go in.

*Sigh*

EDIT: 2/20/10. Looked into the DSM pedal "pump up" issue, think it might be related. I adjusted the clutch stop / switch and bled it really well. All seems preem-o (didnt realize how bad I needed spark plugs too, i love when the car feels healthy) but only time will tell.
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 02-20-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234