Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So my ECU took a shit. What would you suggest?

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) terrets's Avatar
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks

Angry So my ECU took a shit. What would you suggest?

So I bought an EMU used from someone on 3si and I knew I should have fucking checked the wiring. Well I didnt. UGH IM STUPID. I wanted to get it hooked up and running. Well I set everything to stock on it about 3 days ago. I started my car and let it warm up for the pure purpose of data logging. I couldnt drive it because my slave cylinder leaks to bad. So I was going to fix that just now and I started the car to pull it in the garage. Well I let it idle for 20 seconds and I opened the door to listen to the motor. Well fuckin it died and then saw a bit of smoke and smelled electrical burning. Well I pulled the ECU and this is what happened.

Looks like a resistor or diode.

Do you guys think I should just move onto AEM Series 2 or get a new ecu and keep EMU. Or if this is fixable(I doubt it). I am new to tuning and wanted to learn on EMU first but I wouldnt mind getting AEM.

ps. Please dont flame. I know Im a dumbass.
    Last edited by terrets; 10-05-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Mikes2nd's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    emu? we have emu?

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Wow thats pretty bad. What was wired wrong to cause that ?

Chris said ninjas don't fall down. Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    I think whether you move on to the AEM or stick with what you have/are learning should be based on what you eventually want from your car. I have no idea if your current ECU can be fixed. Sorry, man.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beepbeep For This Useful Post:

I'm Kind Of A Big Deal Feedback Score 8 (100%) Emilie@GZP's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What do you have done to your car now? AEM EMS is overkill for the majority of set-up's people run on these cars, especially if your car is daily driven, and you aren't looking to push your car to the breaking point of your set-up.

rawr. verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) Atrosity's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilie@GZP View Post
    What do you have done to your car now? AEM EMS is overkill for the majority of set-up's people run on these cars, especially if your car is daily driven, and you aren't looking to push your car to the breaking point of your set-up.
    This is what a lot of us in socal are saying. EMS seems best for "Race" cars, the cars that every tiny little detail matters on the track you do not even need it as this was proven as well.

For the price of an EMS you can have a fully rebuilt ecu and a greddy e-manage blue/ultimate plus left over funds for more mods to be faster some how. If you get an EMS, think about it...you are stuck being a shop car. You can't have a friend with knowledgeable experience street tune your car you need to be on the dyno to be tuned and if you change anything you need to go back to the dyno to retune again and all this costs a lot!
    Last edited by Atrosity; 10-05-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atrosity For This Useful Post:

-BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I say get a good rebuilt ECU and run a piggyback so you can learn to slowly tune it yourself. I used to have an Arc2, and it was great and can be had for ~$400 or so, as well as Maft-pro, which is what I run now. I love that I was able to go speed density with the Maft-pro, and the tuning of it can be a handfull at first, but once you learn all the pages and tables it's not bad. I've never messed with Emanage tho. Your choice, but really only a handfull of members here could realistically use an EMS to it's full potential. Remember that a simple setup is more often than not a more reliable system since there are less variables involved. Going overkill on a lot of stuff just causes headaches in the long run, not to mention wasted $$$

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mh3kgt For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes2nd View Post
    emu? we have emu?
    Emanage Ultimate. Yes . Its pretty rocking from what Ive been reading and learning...not that Ive used it for anything except logging yet >_<

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB
    Wow thats pretty bad. What was wired wrong to cause that ?
    Havent had time to check yet.

Yes I know AEM EMS is overkill now because I am stock. I will be running a T70 with E85 after this winter though. I was quoted at GZP for $250 for one that was tested and one new cap :0. I guess it would be cheaper than AEM. :/ I guess Ill have to look around. I wanted to drive my car for one more month and get logging and tuning on 93 and E85 before I build this beast, but I dont know if thats going to happen .

beepbeep: I do not believe its fixable either. The board looks shot. Almost separated and like the resistor/diode exploded :/

Astrosity: I have no tuner friends >_<. I am the most knowledgeable on cars of anyone I know :/.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by terrets View Post
    Emanage Ultimate. Yes . Its pretty rocking from what Ive been reading and learning...not that Ive used it for anything except logging yet >_<

Havent had time to check yet.

Yes I know AEM EMS is overkill now because I am stock. I will be running a T70 with E85 after this winter though. I was quoted at GZP for $250 for one that was tested and one new cap :0. I guess it would be cheaper than AEM. :/ I guess Ill have to look around. I wanted to drive my car for one more month and get logging and tuning on 93 and E85 before I build this beast, but I dont know if thats going to happen .

beepbeep: I do not believe its fixable either. The board looks shot. Almost separated and like the resistor/diode exploded :/

Astrosity: I have no tuner friends >_<. I am the most knowledgeable on cars of anyone I know :/.
    I am not sure if our cars can be properly tuned for E85 without something like an AEM EMS. Because you need to be able to adjust and control timing as well.
    Or add it up several other devices to do the same job cost as much as the AEM. E85 is the deciding factor. Plus if you go to E85 Then get boost control as well because you can crank those 9b's all the way up to the max on E85. You did not disclose this in your first post and it does change the game a lot. Aem also lets you run 2 tunes if you want to switch back and forth between 93 and E85. But you pay more to have both tunes set in the Aem as well.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-06-2010 at 01:52 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer For This Useful Post:

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Sorry I left out the E85 part. Well I really dont want to spend all the money to have it dyno tuned though. :/. I do have a Greddy MAP sensor and A/F harness and will be tuning with these. I should have put that in my post also. I have a MBC currently.

Cant I adjust and control timing with EMU? With stage 2.5?

Im looking at the wiring now....Could a wrong jumper be the cause?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast