Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So my ECU took a shit. What would you suggest?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by terrets View Post
    Sorry I left out the E85 part. Well I really dont want to spend all the money to have it dyno tuned though. :/. I do have a Greddy MAP sensor and A/F harness and will be tuning with these. I should have put that in my post also. I have a MBC currently.

Cant I adjust and control timing with EMU? With stage 2.5?

Im looking at the wiring now....Could a wrong jumper be the cause?
    Well there is a lot more to this. Like to max out 9b's on E85 will require 600cc or 650cc injectors. A stronger fuel pump. Then if you dual tune the larger injectors will advance timing way too far on 93 pump gas. So you need to adjust timing not just hmm it might be nice to do, this becomes a must do for a dual tune. If you have it set in an Aem it is easy to switch back and forth for a dual tune. Other systems might be very cumbersome to adjust a dual tune back and forth. On 93 you will also have to pull boost back to about 12 psi but you can run max boost on E85.

Something else if you do not want to spend the money to do this right then I would suggest do not do it at all. Just run it stock and buy a new/rebuilt ECU.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-06-2010 at 02:18 AM.

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    I know, Ive got a walbro rewired, 680cc injectors. I dont plan on maxing out the 9b's unless I dont hit knock. One of my other posts I also mentioned Im going T70, I can not run stock.

And why cant I dual tune with having two different setups saved on my PC that I just have to export to EMU everytime I switch between 93 and e85? I dont plan on running 93 ever after I get on e85 unless I have to for long trips.

I just checked the wiring with the EMU thread on 3si. Everything seems to be fine for the wires listed there. Im working on the ones not listed, with my manual. I just dont get why it fried the SECOND I opened my passenger door turning on the dome light.

I found jumper 18 was suppose to be 1-2 for add fuel trim only and it was open for add/sub which can only be done with stage 3 wiring. Could this be the problem?
    Last edited by terrets; 10-06-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    And why cant I dual tune with having two different setups saved on my PC that I just have to export to EMU everytime I switch between 93 and e85? I dont plan on running 93 ever after I get on e85 unless I have to for long trips.
    Its your car you can do what ever you want.

I just checked the wiring with the EMU thread on 3si. Everything seems to be fine for the wires listed there. Im working on the ones not listed, with my manual. I just dont get why it fried the SECOND I opened my passenger door turning on the dome light.
    This is why I would suggest you have it done at a shop. Trial and error especially the ERROR part will get far more costly as you go down this path. It is very possible that you will wind up spending far more on your setup trying to do it yourself and the oops that happen along the way as opposed to spending on doing it the right way the first time.
    But that is just my observation, and you did ask for input. That is what I suggest. Your track record so far does not do you any favors in this do it yourself method.

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Im doing it myself because I want to learn. I want to tune. I want to say I did EVERYTHING myself on this car. Not pay someone else to do it. I understand mistakes can cost money and I am completely ok with that. Im fine with the error part. I did ask for input from everyone and I thank you for your input. The only time I might pay for a tune is to get the absolute max out of my set up on WOT and max boost. So that will only be in the end once I have my own tune set up. I dont mind if MY tune isnt the max I can get.

So the wiring looks correct. It must have been that jumper, or coincidence(i doubt).

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you turned the dome light on and it fried your ecu, then YOU wired something wrong or crimped some wires together unknowingly. From what I can see on your ecu, the only time you actually get burns like that is if you have an electrical short of some sort. I wouldn't even try to salvage that ecu...get another and despite how much you want to learn, let someone do it for you and watch them do it. Sometimes you have to sit back and watch to learn or else it may cost you more than it's worth. Just ask on here, I am sure someone lives near you and is willing to at least help you.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I am not sure if our cars can be properly tuned for E85 without something like an AEM EMS. Because you need to be able to adjust and control timing as well.
    Or add it up several other devices to do the same job cost as much as the AEM. E85 is the deciding factor. Plus if you go to E85 Then get boost control as well because you can crank those 9b's all the way up to the max on E85. You did not disclose this in your first post and it does change the game a lot. Aem also lets you run 2 tunes if you want to switch back and forth between 93 and E85. But you pay more to have both tunes set in the Aem as well.
    Actually, he can solve all of his tuning issues with a simple Maft-pro all for around ~$450. This is what I use, and I have full control over my fuel, boost, and timing. Plus I am now speed density so that boost leaks do not affect my tune and I'm not dead on the side of the road if a coupler pops off or something. I just simply can't build positive boost, but the car is still perfectly driveable. I'd say a $450 solution is a lot less headache than a $2000 EMS. Also, you can have other tunes for 93 or E85 saved on your laptop or wherever that takes about 5seconds to upload to the Maft-pro. I have a base tune that I used for a long time to just drive around town at wastegate on the 15g's and recently uploaded a different tune so that I can up the boost and my afr's are rock steady all the way to WOT. I still need to mess with my timing to maximize the power and spoolup on the 15g's tho. Just takes some time, lots of datalogging and a simple laptop to get everything where you want it to be.
    Last edited by mh3kgt; 10-06-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
    If you turned the dome light on and it fried your ecu, then YOU wired something wrong or crimped some wires together unknowingly. From what I can see on your ecu, the only time you actually get burns like that is if you have an electrical short of some sort. I wouldn't even try to salvage that ecu...get another and despite how much you want to learn, let someone do it for you and watch them do it. Sometimes you have to sit back and watch to learn or else it may cost you more than it's worth. Just ask on here, I am sure someone lives near you and is willing to at least help you.
    So tell me, what could I have wired wrong?? All my gauges and stuff has been fine for months....I didn't touch the wiring on the EMU and its a boomslang harness...I checked all the wiring and its FINE. And Im not going to watch someone do whatever your saying, because like I stated before, I am the most knowledgeable person on cars I know. And Ive had Multiple electronics courses such as DC1, DC2, AC1, AC2, residential wiring, electromagnetic fields, and some computer hardware classes. Oh and I was top of the class and always way ahead of and faster then everyone else at everything in these classes. Also I know the ECU is SHOT. I stated that in one of my posts. The board basically expanded/exploded. It is NOT fixable in anyway.

Again, what do you think is wired wrong? Sorry I feel like your calling me dumb lol.

I did notice when I ran it the first time with EMU (without opening my door) that my voltage hit 13....not sure if this is ok or not as I know our Chevy truck its 14 sometimes. Maybe my voltage regulator is shot....

Im getting a new ECU and going to run it without EMU a bit. Then quite possibly try again, paying more attention to whats going on. lol.

Thanks mh3kgt.

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    So tell me, what could I have wired wrong?? All my gauges and stuff has been fine for months....I didn't touch the wiring on the EMU and its a boomslang harness...I checked all the wiring and its FINE. And Im not going to watch someone do whatever your saying, because like I stated before, I am the most knowledgeable person on cars I know. And Ive had Multiple electronics courses such as DC1, DC2, AC1, AC2, residential wiring, electromagnetic fields, and some computer hardware classes. Oh and I was top of the class and always way ahead of and faster then everyone else at everything in these classes. Also I know the ECU is SHOT. I stated that in one of my posts. The board basically expanded/exploded. It is NOT fixable in anyway.

Again, what do you think is wired wrong? Sorry I feel like your calling me dumb lol.

I did notice when I ran it the first time with EMU (without opening my door) that my voltage hit 13....not sure if this is ok or not as I know our Chevy truck its 14 sometimes. Maybe my voltage regulator is shot....

Im getting a new ECU and going to run it without EMU a bit. Then quite possibly try again, paying more attention to whats going on. lol.

Thanks mh3kgt.

No need for an apology, I was basically calling you dumb. lol

Try just throwing an N/A ecu in it just at idle while you try to diagnose the electrical problem. That way it's significantly cheaper to replace than a TT ecu. Don't drive it with the N/A ecu though, it will run lean.

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    I didnt know I could run an N/A ecu. I actually have an N/A shell here.. WOOOOT. Wait. Its a 94 and I have a 91. :/ It wont work will it?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I know, Ive got a walbro rewired, 680cc injectors. I dont plan on maxing out the 9b's unless I dont hit knock. One of my other posts I also mentioned Im going T70, I can not run stock.

I found jumper 18 was suppose to be 1-2 for add fuel trim only and it was open for add/sub which can only be done with stage 3 wiring. Could this be the problem?
    I missed this T70 also. I am not familar with the T70 turbo. How much power are you shooting for? My guess is that the 680 injectors you have will be way to small for the T70 turbos on E85. Maybe about right for 93 pump gas but too small for E85.