Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 1997 3000GTVR4 Oil Leak

  1. #1
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Owner Since
    2013

    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    1997 3000GTVR4 Oil Leak

    Need some suggestions as to what to look at on the engine / transmission. I noticed there is a little oil on the underside of the motor around the transmission area. What typically leaks on these motors? All I can think of is the rear main seal. Hopefully more senior forum members will have suggestions. This car has less than 96k on it, I'd like to get the leak fixed before I start any engine cleaning / painting.

  2. #2
    Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    6/2005

    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    730
    Thanks
    277
    Thanked 128 Times in 98 Posts
    First I would confirm that it is in fact engine oil. Manual transmission oil is typically fishy smelling, and it is obviously thicker.

    I would jack the car up, throw a couple of jack stands under there and then crawl under with some safety glasses on! (Don't want to get rust or oil in the eyes).

    Anyway, if it is in fact engine oil I would check a number of things:
    1) Is it coming from the interface with the transmission? (AKA leaking out from the bell housing near the starter or transfercase). If so, your culprit is the rear main seal.
    2) Is it dripping solely off the oil pan? If so, it could be an oil pan gasket
    3) Is it dripping from somewhere up top then onto the oil pan? If so, it could be the gaskets where the turbo oil return lines meet the oil pan or somewhere higher.

    Really, the only thing you can do is crawl under there with a flash light and get more info! None of these seals are inherently hard to replace as the seal itself. However, the rear main seal is a pain in the ass to get to because it involves removing the transmission and clutch/flywheel.

    Alex

    '92 3000GT Base ATX converted to MTX - Parted Out
    '91 Stealth ES MTX - Fastest NA FWD at NG11 Drags - SOLD
    '91 Stealth RT/TT Check out my blog
    '10 Jetta TDI MTX - 6 speed: 50MPG Highway
    Rest In Peace, My Brother SGT. R. Evans Taylor: Apr 23 '83 - Oct 14 '11

  3. #3
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    Take a can of carb cleaner, and rags under with you, clean surfaces, and check back after some driving for new oil.

    Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

  4. #4
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Owner Since
    2013

    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Thank you of for the information guys. I'm planning on cleaning the engine, was debating purple power, carburetor cleaner, simple green or brake cleaner. I'll get the mess cleaned up on the block and everything I can then keep an eye on it. Really wish I still had a lift would make it so much easier.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering